• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retired Chief - Subs Son trying to obtain an OCS slot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chief, please, PLEASE, don't take this as any disrespect. It's great you're helping out your son, especially after a bad experience, but...

...it sounds like Webmaster and the rest are taking care of you for now, despite a less than desirable experience w/ the recruiter. And if you're son is still interested in the Navy Officer programs (whichever one), then great. But may I recommend that he come on here as well and start to ask some questions? There's a ton of great info on here, and as I'm sure you are well aware, part of the "application process" is self-motivation. So set him up w/ a username and tell him to join the discussiion.

ChiefLiam

To: Webmaster;Sabre 170,Wankertank,Ex Rigger,Flynsail,HeyJoe,Huskerfan5

Wow...........talk about quick real response. Sean and I can't thank you enough.

Husker: Sean went to East Greenbush Schools, I went to Siena and Union(MBA). Know lots about Troy NY(RPI).

I will have Sean try Officer recruiting at NRD Miami or Tampa. He has seen so many stories about 1 year wait. That is discouraging for anyone.

He could be a great leader/officer and gives it all in anything he does. he is just looking for an opportunity.

Thanks

I will keep you posted.

ChiefLiam

huskerfan5 said:
I am currently talking with an officer recruiter. I contacted the local enlisting office and got the number to the nearest officer recruiter. You might want to go directly to the horses mouth so to say.
Once I called the officer recruiter, I had absolutley no problems.

Good luck

huskerfan5

Good to hear Chief. I have been here in Troy for about one year now, and I really like the area. One thing, when I used the website to find the numbers for the officer recruiting, they did not have the one in Albany listed. Which I thought was odd. It was when I called the local enlisted recruiter that I was able to get the phone number. I think it might have been just this area, but just thought I would let you know in case you run into the same situation.

sno591

Hi I'm Chief's son Sean. I was told by my father he had been talking with you guys and said I should join the discussion to get info. I've read through the thread and I guess it's understood that I'm trying to find out about becoming an officer. I had been told by a recruiter that I could enlist and they would "probaly" be able to get into the candidate program. I am interested in joining and have become more interested as I learn about some of the great programs, opportunities and experiences an officer position could provide me. I'm guess I'm just unsure about how to become an officer and what I need to do in order to get the ball rolling. I'm not sure if theirs an officer recruiter in my town, and the closest big cities are 2 hours away. So obviously finding reliable info. has been tough. If anyone has some input about being an officer I'd appreciate it.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Use the search functions found on this website........you can bet that any question you will ask has been asked twenty times so make good use of the search menu. Your credentials sound competitive, good luck.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
sno591 said:
Hi I'm Chief's son Sean. I was told by my father he had been talking with you guys and said I should join the discussion to get info. I've read through the thread and I guess it's understood that I'm trying to find out about becoming an officer. I had been told by a recruiter that I could enlist and they would "probaly" be able to get into the candidate program. I am interested in joining and have become more interested as I learn about some of the great programs, opportunities and experiences an officer position could provide me. I'm guess I'm just unsure about how to become an officer and what I need to do in order to get the ball rolling. I'm not sure if theirs an officer recruiter in my town, and the closest big cities are 2 hours away. So obviously finding reliable info. has been tough. If anyone has some input about being an officer I'd appreciate it.

Looks like you'll fall under the NRD Miami umbrella (the other one in FL is JAX). Try giving them a call @ 800-445-4625 and ask where the closest officer recruiter is. What designator(s) are you interested in?

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
Chief and Sean,

I have been in the process for well over a year now and had the same experience as you in the beginning. I was living in Tokyo (attending Temple University) and had to work through a OSO in Hawaii, all via e-mail. When I went to Yokosuka to see if I could ask some more questions about Officer Programs to a live person and the enlisted recruiter tried for an hour or so to get me to enlist and said it is much easier to enlist and then in a year or so I could try and become an officer.

Then, I moved here to Oregon and started working with an OSO from NRD Portland, which is three hours away. We have a local recruiting station here but it is only for enlisted. Anyways, when it came time for me to take the ASTB, my OSO swung through on a trip he was on and gave me the test. While I'm waiting to hear from the board on SNA, the only time I'll need to go to Portland is for MEPS/PRT and I guess swearing in, although my OSO said I could probably do that down here. The only other reason I have had to go up there is to re-take the ASTB (per the board's request) and that was fine with me!

Anyways, good luck!! :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Welcome, Sno. As Ex Rigger has said, definitely start by looking through the OCS/Commission sections of the forum, and then go from there. I don't know if there is an officer recruiter in Ft. Meyers, but I do know there is one in Tampa.

You may not know the answer yet, but any ideas what you're interested in doing in the Navy? You're dad mentioned Law, but there's lots of choices.

I was about to ask what Gatordev just did--what are you interested in doing for the Navy? Also, if you're thinking about law school, check out the previously-suggested website: www.jag.navy.mil/careers/careersSP.htm
Go through a year of LS, get stellar grades and some solid extracurriculars, and take a look at the Navy's Student Program--it's where they get the majority of their lawyers. Sounds like a great option, if you're interested. Best wishes.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sno,

I think most of the previous posts may have gotten you back on track. Don't let your experience with the enlisted recruiter sour you on the officer recruiting process. You will find that the officer recruiting force does not pressure folks. Worse case is you get some guy that is too busy to answer your questions promptly. Just keep at him. If you start laying down some paper on him he will take you seriously and work with ya. Some broad advise/guidance:

!. Age is a big factor. Max age for most prgrams is not having reached 27th b'day by commissioning. Don't waste time.

2. Your GPA/major is just fine. Do well on the ASTB exam and you should have some real options.

3. With your degree and work experience you have a great shot a Supply Corps job. Best opportunities in the Navy now are in Supply Corps. Hiring big numbers and there is real growth in the community. I believe they still detail SUPPOs to subs. You could follow your father's foot steps.

4. Do not waste time. Some communities/designators have only a couple dozen opennings a year for the entire Navy. Call an Officer Programs recruiter and get on in to the office to take the ASTB. There is gouge on this site for what to expect in the test. Prep a few days if you feel weak in some subjects since being out of school and then take it. Do well and the recruiter will list your options based on age, major, gpa, test scores and available openings. From then on it is all you. Get the paperwork rolling asap. The whole process takes a couple months at best. It isn't like the enlisted recruiter wanting to ship you in a matter of a couple days. You will have time to discuss your options and decide for sure as you work on the application. There is no obligation until you get an offer from the Navy (are selected for a specific program) and accept it.

5. If you decide on Law School the ONLY way to get a direct commission in the Jag Corps is the Jag Student Program. As stated above, you can apply after your first year. I would highly reccomend that. In the second year it is more competitive.

Seach the site and come back with questions. Lots of experience here.