• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retaking -- Need Advice

Hadoukei

Hey guys!

So, to cut right to the chase - I didn't so hot on my first go around. 39 2/3/4, which is even more disappointing by the fact that I studied for about a month prior. Granted, I have a lot of life responsibilities from work and school, and I wasn't able to study optimally. I feel like I overall bombed it other than the UAV which I only missed 2. I don't know if it was just going into the unknown of actually taking the test that psyched me out or I just dicked up during my studying.

I'm a prior active Marine and current Naval Reservist, my GPA is 3.74 for BS Public Administration, I've got flight time in the air as well.

This second time around, I've talked to my boss about having more time off to focus on studying and I plan on doing 2 hours a day. I'm also attending ground school for a PPL AUG10, so I'm hoping that'll help. I'm also enrolling in the Algebra course in Khan Academy on top of using the flashcards for ANIT/Mech Comprehension. I'm using Barrons and the personal ASTB study guide posted here.

I'm aiming for SNA, and solely SNA.

If I could get any advice on improving my score, that would be great. The semester for fall is starting AUG23 and my potential retest date is AUG24 and I'm thinking it might be smart to just do my best and re-attack this AUG24 so I'm not distracted by the actual semester.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys!

So, to cut right to the chase - I didn't so hot on my first go around. 39 2/3/4, which is even more disappointing by the fact that I studied for about a month prior. Granted, I have a lot of life responsibilities from work and school, and I wasn't able to study optimally. I feel like I overall bombed it other than the UAV which I only missed 2. I don't know if it was just going into the unknown of actually taking the test that psyched me out or I just dicked up during my studying.

I'm a prior active Marine and current Naval Reservist, my GPA is 3.74 for BS Public Administration, I've got flight time in the air as well.

This second time around, I've talked to my boss about having more time off to focus on studying and I plan on doing 2 hours a day. I'm also attending ground school for a PPL AUG10, so I'm hoping that'll help. I'm also enrolling in the Algebra course in Khan Academy on top of using the flashcards for ANIT/Mech Comprehension. I'm using Barrons and the personal ASTB study guide posted here.

If I could get any advice on improving my score, that would be great. The semester for fall is starting AUG23 and my potential retest date is AUG24 and I'm thinking it might be smart to just do my best and re-attack this AUG24 so I'm not distracted by the actual semester.
What did you study?

Myath92

Hey guys!

On my first attempt, i got 41 on OAR. I got 49 on second attempt by studying the study guides & practice test I found on this site .

Thank you all.

Below are the study guides i found on this site. I printed them and take practice tests over and over again , focused hard on math and mechanical comprehension part, i didnt really study on reading but on the test i use elimination method.

Attachments

• Test 2.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 87
  • Math Practice Test.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Test 4 Questions.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 63
  • ASTB_gouge.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Test 4 Solutions.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • OAR Math Guide 2.docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • LOGS.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DRT Problems.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 47
  • Practice Test 2.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 49
  • Independent_Dependent Events.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 42

villo0692

Hey guys!

stretch fingers.....let's go!

so judging by your low, but not horrifyingly low OAR compared to you very low ASTB, it tells me that you probably bombed the math section. When looking at your ASTB scores and breaking it down, your AQR/PFAR/FOFAR, we have to consider that the AQR and FOFAR are very heavily influenced by your math scores, so I would dedicate the bulk of my time in REALLY nailing down the math portion, cannot stress that enough. As an engineer, and after taking ASTB (only took it once), I would say that you should be fairly proficient math-wise in all topics all the way up to precalculus, and even a bit of statistics and probability. That way you should be able to deal with all they throw at you, logarithms, exponentials, equation problems and what not. If you were able to dwell into some calculus too, even when not necessary, I believe it would help you put all of those skills to practice, as calculus uses most of them. Moreover, when I took the ASTB I noticed some problems were a bit tedious because of all the paper calculations you had to do, so if you were able to start working on doing quick mental math ( sum, substract, multiply and divide), I feel like that would help, I used an app called Lumosity to help me train for that, helped me solve problems quicker. I noticed that all sample tests I did on the ASTB regarding the math portion were not as hard as the actual test, so if you are using something like Barron's guide to study, make sure you are able to complete those tests as fast (and accurately) as you can, math portion is 30 questions for 40 min I believe.
Moving into the PFAR section, which is the one you want to get the highest score if you wanna be a pilot. This section is most heavily influenced by the ANIT and PBM portions. Regarding the ANIT part, there's a flashcard deck you can find online with like 400 cards to help you learn all the very basics on fundamentals of flight, ship and flight deck stuff, weather, history of the Navy and USMC, milestones of aviation and what not. Learn all that shit as best as you possibly can. In addition, something that burned me when I took the ANIT portion, was info about all different platforms. I had a lot of questions of the type, "To carry out this kind of mission the best aircraft is....a. aircraft nomenclature 1 b. aircraft nomenclature 2 c. aircraft nomenclature 3" so make sure you learn the nomenclature of every platform, what their mission is, how they do it, why they do it, why one platform and not the other, etc.
For the PBM portion, someone in this website made a target following simulator that you can use to practice. Maybe you won't have access to the control stick but it might help you get used to the inverted nature of the controls. Expect to get better as you go, I remember I was sucking all kinds of dick when I took it and got significantly better as the test progressed. Whenever you have the multitasking part of it, meaning when you are following both targets and listening through the headset, make sure you LISTEN FIRST. Idc if you lose track of the target, LISTEN FIRST and do as the little voice tells you to do. Follow the 2D target second, and if you have enough mojo left, follow the vertical target. I listened, followed the 2D target fairly good, and every now and then I looked at the vertical target as my last priority.

This was based on my experience, took the ASTB once and got picked for pilot on the last board, so take it as you will, hope it helps. Study hard and good luck.

Hadoukei

so judging by your low, but not horrifyingly low OAR compared to you very low ASTB, it tells me that you probably bombed the math section. When looking at your ASTB scores and breaking it down, your AQR/PFAR/FOFAR, we have to consider that the AQR and FOFAR are very heavily influenced by your math scores, so I would dedicate the bulk of my time in REALLY nailing down the math portion, cannot stress that enough. As an engineer, and after taking ASTB (only took it once), I would say that you should be fairly proficient math-wise in all topics all the way up to precalculus, and even a bit of statistics and probability. That way you should be able to deal with all they throw at you, logarithms, exponentials, equation problems and what not. If you were able to dwell into some calculus too, even when not necessary, I believe it would help you put all of those skills to practice, as calculus uses most of them. Moreover, when I took the ASTB I noticed some problems were a bit tedious because of all the paper calculations you had to do, so if you were able to start working on doing quick mental math ( sum, substract, multiply and divide), I feel like that would help, I used an app called Lumosity to help me train for that, helped me solve problems quicker. I noticed that all sample tests I did on the ASTB regarding the math portion were not as hard as the actual test, so if you are using something like Barron's guide to study, make sure you are able to complete those tests as fast (and accurately) as you can, math portion is 30 questions for 40 min I believe.
Moving into the PFAR section, which is the one you want to get the highest score if you wanna be a pilot. This section is most heavily influenced by the ANIT and PBM portions. Regarding the ANIT part, there's a flashcard deck you can find online with like 400 cards to help you learn all the very basics on fundamentals of flight, ship and flight deck stuff, weather, history of the Navy and USMC, milestones of aviation and what not. Learn all that shit as best as you possibly can. In addition, something that burned me when I took the ANIT portion, was info about all different platforms. I had a lot of questions of the type, "To carry out this kind of mission the best aircraft is....a. aircraft nomenclature 1 b. aircraft nomenclature 2 c. aircraft nomenclature 3" so make sure you learn the nomenclature of every platform, what their mission is, how they do it, why they do it, why one platform and not the other, etc.
For the PBM portion, someone in this website made a target following simulator that you can use to practice. Maybe you won't have access to the control stick but it might help you get used to the inverted nature of the controls. Expect to get better as you go, I remember I was sucking all kinds of dick when I took it and got significantly better as the test progressed. Whenever you have the multitasking part of it, meaning when you are following both targets and listening through the headset, make sure you LISTEN FIRST. Idc if you lose track of the target, LISTEN FIRST and do as the little voice tells you to do. Follow the 2D target second, and if you have enough mojo left, follow the vertical target. I listened, followed the 2D target fairly good, and every now and then I looked at the vertical target as my last priority.

This was based on my experience, took the ASTB once and got picked for pilot on the last board, so take it as you will, hope it helps. Study hard and good luck.
Yeah, I've been hearing how much the math influences. Would enrolling into Khan Academy Pre-Calc be the best option or just Algebra? and I'll just meticulously study the ANIT flashcards and such too.

Antman411

OCS Applicant

You could pick that out based off scores? What do mine say I need to work on? 53 5/4/5

Torchic

Yeah, I've been hearing how much the math influences. Would enrolling into Khan Academy Pre-Calc be the best option or just Algebra? and I'll just meticulously study the ANIT flashcards and such too.
Old comment I see, but when I took it the first time I got a 28 (i had no idea what I was going to be facing lol) and when I took it the second time I got a 40. I used this app from the app store that has a picture of an ensign rank. It really helped me with accuracy and treated it almost like the real thing. It even has lessons to help refresh you. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the reading portion doesn't resemble the real thing. But I basically just grabbed a book about the Math section from Amazon and studied that along with the app and a study guide I found here. I think what killed me on my second time (besides the massive headache I had from reading too much for extensive hours) is the mechanical part. It was asking a lot of simple things like what would happen if the screw was heated and stuff and I really second guessed myself. Trying to go Oceanography :eek: