• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Restrictions on batteries starting 1 Jan

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I dunno, maybe this is just me... but I think wearing your uniform to get free upgrades is not only professionally unethical, but also may cause a misperception among the civilians that see you in 1st class in uniform. They may think it's their tax dollars at waste that went to the purchase of a 1st class ticket for you. Remember, it's not what's TRUE but what may be PERCEIVED to be true.

I've travelled in uniform before, and also have been offered the upgrade on 2 occassions... I accepted the 1st time (and subsequently thought more deeply about the ramifications of accepting such a gesture). On the 2nd, I graciously declined and expressed my gratitude for the thought...

Well I only did it the one time and graciously accepted since I had a 300lb woman spilling onto me, and I could practically smell the chicken bones in her fat folds. I don't think anyone noticed or cared, but who knows. I think you're worrying too much about it. If I travel in civvies and use my mil ID, I would have NO issues moving to first class, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

Airlines have been supportive of the military pax in my VERY recent experience, and I think people are supportive of it. Military folks were allowed to board first before general boarding on my last flight, which was nice, and all the other pax looked pretty happy about it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
WannaGoFast - you are way over-thinking this. If the airline wants to give you first class, take it. You'd be dumb not to. It's way more comfortable.

Hell, I'm more likely to get a first class seat jumpseating in my airline uniform so I will do it for long flights (it also exempts me from all the TSA liquid rules....).

jcj

Please don't give them any more ideas...

Maybe they should give everyone a piss test before boarding just to be sure someone didn't ingest something that could be used as an explosive...i mean its not like that would be absurd.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem here is with the lithium batteries found in lap top computers. Remember the battery recall barely a year ago? There HAVE been over heated and smoking batteries in the cabins of airliners. I saw a video of a lap top computer going up in flames after its battery explode in the LAX terminal. 30 minutes later that computer would have been in the cabin of a plane full of people. Oh, and the lithium batteries found in computers now can't be put out with water or an ordinary fire extinguisher. The video I saw would have been funny if it wasn't so dangerous. Everytime someone thought they had it out and approached it it re flashed and nearly hurt people. The reason for the plastic bag is so that the contacts on the battery do not short out against something in your bag and cause the battery to run away. These are not sonobouy batteries, not nicads. Look this sh!t up. Think Value Jet. Bad juju here and I am glad for this rule. It isn't TSA security at work it is safety professionals looking out for your a$$.