• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Restrictions on batteries starting 1 Jan

BourneID

pilot
Passengers will still be able to pack batteries in checked bags if they are installed in electronic devices or in carry-on luggage if they are stored in plastic bags, according to the new federal safety rule.

Its not that bad, they just are worried about a fire in the cargo area, not in the passenger area, at least if it is in the passenger area, the flight crew can get to it and put it out.

k_smittay

Easy fix. Ship your luggage via USPS 5-6 days prior to your travel, and board the aircraft naked. Problem solved.

..except for the person who has to sit in between the fat sweaty guys in row 33..

BourneID

pilot
Easy fix. Ship your luggage via USPS 5-6 days prior to your travel, and board the aircraft naked. Problem solved.

..except for the person who has to sit in between the fat sweaty guys in row 33..

Will the USPS give you an allowance for each day you don't have your luggage for incidentals like the airlines will? (although its a pain in the ass to file, you can do it)

Raptor2216

Unfortunately the risk of a fire does not decrease if batteries are installed or stored in a plastic bag. The FAA is simply being stupid at this point and there is no stopping it. We live in a state where water isn't even allowed on the plane...i mean COME ON!! Maybe they should give everyone a piss test before boarding just to be sure someone didn't ingest something that could be used as an explosive...i mean its not like that would be absurd.

Its not that bad, they just are worried about a fire in the cargo area, not in the passenger area, at least if it is in the passenger area, the flight crew can get to it and put it out.

BourneID

pilot
Unfortunately the risk of a fire does not decrease if batteries are installed or stored in a plastic bag. The FAA is simply being stupid at this point and there is no stopping it.

Its not the fact that the plastic bag decreases the chance of a fire, hell TSA will soon be telling us to put everything in our carry on in a plastic bag, they want the batteries in a plastic bag, so they are easier to find and see at airport security, they want the batteries in the cabin, so the flight crew can put out a fire if the unthinkable happens. Try flying with sonobouys, at least we can launch all of them on the outside, or put an extinguisher on them on the inside, you can't just dimp baggage out of the cargo compartment of a 737. In my 10 yars of flying VP, not once have I had a battery incident, however they still put the emergency procedures in NATOPS.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Some of the rules are understandable, but many of them are retarded. When I STILL have to remove articles of clothing and/or go through any more than minimal security screening when I travel in uniform, I think we've lost touch a bit. I mean understandably, someone could put together a fake uniform, but when I have a matching military ID (as well as other legitimate forms of ID) is it necessary to have me take off my khaki belt and brown shoes? Come on. If someone wants to blow up a plane with a clear liquid in a water bottle, or wants to put on a military uniform, somehow manage to magically forge a military ID to match their uniform, or any other retarded thing that is currently banned on flights, then they deserve to win.

I'd rather risk being blown up on a flight than have to get a cavity search every time I get on a flight. I think terrorism is TSA waterhead-agents making me take off articles of clothing when I'm in uniform.

This is just one more nail in the coffin.

rant over.

Raptor2216

Why are you traveling anywhere in uniform? Don't tell me its another issue with not having appropriate clothes...like the time you wore the G1 to a bar.

Some of the rules are understandable, but many of them are retarded. When I STILL have to remove articles of clothing and/or go through any more than minimal security screening when I travel in uniform, I think we've lost touch a bit. I mean understandably, someone could put together a fake uniform, but when I have a matching military ID (as well as other legitimate forms of ID) is it necessary to have me take off my khaki belt and brown shoes? Come on. If someone wants to blow up a plane with a clear liquid in a water bottle, or wants to put on a military uniform, somehow manage to magically forge a military ID to match their uniform, or any other retarded thing that is currently banned on flights, then they deserve to win.

I'd rather risk being blown up on a flight than have to get a cavity search every time I get on a flight. I think terrorism is TSA waterhead-agents making me take off articles of clothing when I'm in uniform.

rant over.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Why are you traveling anywhere in uniform? Don't tell me its another issue with not having appropriate clothes...like the time you wore the G1 to a bar.

Naw. Did it once going home after commissioning for family who wanted to see me in uniform. And after the R-tards in TSA, it actually got me into first class, which I wasn't expecting.

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
Naw. Did it once going home after commissioning for family who wanted to see me in uniform. And after the R-tards in TSA, it actually got me into first class, which I wasn't expecting.

When flying in uniform it has been my experience that if there are any open first class seats, the airline will upgrade you free of charge to first class! This has happened to me 3 or 4 times.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

rant over.

The tactic has been used in terrorist attacks overseas, with all the right uniform pieces and ID's. It would be a lot harder in the US but still possible, and you have to remember your average TSA worker is nto going to know the difference between a Marine or a Coastie, or a Boston firefighter for that matter, to save their life.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

rant over.

With that kind of attitude, you're going to enjoy the shit out of spending 6 months being pampered by your personal steward on the luxury cruiseliners of the United States Navy.:thumbup_1

Get used to things being "inconvenient" now and then or you're really not going to like Navy life....and also, don't let anyone know you're homophobic - nothing passes the time on cruise like messing with a homophobic dude.:D

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
When flying in uniform it has been my experience that if there are any open first class seats, the airline will upgrade you free of charge to first class! This has happened to me 3 or 4 times.

I dunno, maybe this is just me... but I think wearing your uniform to get free upgrades is not only professionally unethical, but also may cause a misperception among the civilians that see you in 1st class in uniform. They may think it's their tax dollars at waste that went to the purchase of a 1st class ticket for you. Remember, it's not what's TRUE but what may be PERCEIVED to be true.

I've travelled in uniform before, and also have been offered the upgrade on 2 occassions... I accepted the 1st time (and subsequently thought more deeply about the ramifications of accepting such a gesture). On the 2nd, I graciously declined and expressed my gratitude for the thought...