• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Resigning Gouge

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Back in 1992 I got a “golden parachute” lump sum to get out thanks to us winning the Cold War, and was simultaneously encouraged to join the reserves, which I did for a bunch of years. No impact on my reserve retirement pay that I can see.

Guess I shouldn’t be asking? ?
All talk about leadership and 2 command tours yet you were booted from active duty?

You should be asking now that you know. It's called integrity.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Asking about what?
Welp, spoke too soon. Actually looked at my lump sum reserve retirement back pay LES...DFAS never forgets.

Back when it was offered, you were required to go to the active reserves for a minimum of three years to take it. Turned out well for this late bloomer, so can't complain.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yep- no matter how sick and tried you are of the admin B.S. and the other things that detract from military service (and those things are all present in the reserves just as much as active duty), don't outright rule out the reserves.
Heh... this has aged surprisingly well since mid-February.

Less than a month after I posted this, @SynixMan and I happened to meet in real life. Last I saw him was mid-March when we were standing in a hotel parking lot, across the street from one of the training centers for our mutual civilian employer. We were talking about the beginning of huge disruption to both of our careers, furlough, mil leave, mil pension, financial security...

Good decisions aren't always immediately obvious but holy @#$&.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Heh... this has aged surprisingly well since mid-February.

Less than a month after I posted this, @SynixMan and I happened to meet in real life. Last I saw him was mid-March when we were standing in a hotel parking lot, across the street from one of the training centers for our mutual civilian employer. We were talking about the beginning of huge disruption to both of our careers, furlough, mil leave, mil pension, financial security...

Good decisions aren't always immediately obvious but holy @#$&.

Ask me in a month and I'll be able to tell you if it worked out. ?

Tumble Weed

I have a question in regards to my specific scenario. I have about 18 months left of until my PRD as an instructor in VTJs (F/A-18E background). Post my PRD I have 14 months until my MSR is complete. Before I communicate my intentions/desires with my front office/detailer I wanted to have a better baseline understanding and expectation. Ideally I would extend at my current job until my MSR is complete and get out. I wasn't sure if you can extend for more than 12 months though. We're currently very undermanned and I imagine my skipper would be on board if this was possible.

Additionally, if I'm unable to extend, I imagine I would get some sort of sea orders. Is it possible to get one year orders to be able to get out at my MSR? I see that retainability from CONUS to SEA is 12 months but wasn't sure if PCS orders usually obligate you to 24 months accepting those orders.

croakerfish

pilot
I have a question in regards to my specific scenario. I have about 18 months left of until my PRD as an instructor in VTJs (F/A-18E background). Post my PRD I have 14 months until my MSR is complete. Before I communicate my intentions/desires with my front office/detailer I wanted to have a better baseline understanding and expectation. Ideally I would extend at my current job until my MSR is complete and get out. I wasn't sure if you can extend for more than 12 months though. We're currently very undermanned and I imagine my skipper would be on board if this was possible.

Additionally, if I'm unable to extend, I imagine I would get some sort of sea orders. Is it possible to get one year orders to be able to get out at my MSR? I see that retainability from CONUS to SEA is 12 months but wasn't sure if PCS orders usually obligate you to 24 months accepting those orders.
If there’s an OBLISERV attached to your orders you should know that ahead of time. IIRC 24 months is for overseas and certain jobs like SRT that have a really rigid pre-deployment training cycle.
Speaking as a helo guy, the detailer would rather swallow a whole pine cone every morning than allow any of us to extend to MSR and skip the boat on the way out. The unique situation at VTJ may give you a better chance.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If there’s an OBLISERV attached to your orders you should know that ahead of time. IIRC 24 months is for overseas and certain jobs like SRT that have a really rigid pre-deployment training cycle.
Speaking as a helo guy, the detailer would rather swallow a whole pine cone every morning than allow any of us to extend to MSR and skip the boat on the way out. The unique situation at VTJ may give you a better chance.
That was my guess too.

I’d think you’ll want to get the front office in your corner ASAP.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Fairly universally, if your next set of orders are sea / operational duty orders, then there's going to be zero appetite to extend you ashore without extenuating circumstances. Doesn't matter who calls the detailer on your behalf. Doesn't matter if your resignation is already approved. Doesn't matter if the shore command is short or gapped billets. There are simply too many gapped billets around the fleet.

As to your second question: the rule revolves around the execution of a > 50 mile PCS. If you do this to a sea / operational billet, it incurs a minimum 12 month obligation. If you do it to shore, its 24 months. This is written somewhere, although I can't remember exactly where. It's more of a detailer / travel funding interlock, but they're also the ones who approve resignations.

Personally, whether you make your intentions clear to your chain of command and detailer should include calculus on whether or not the detailer is going to respond by giving you a job that is both shitty and not career enhancing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was my guess too.

I’d think you’ll want to get the front office in your corner ASAP.
The VTJ thing may be the only saving grace. FWIW, I successfully got a JO extended on shore tour vs 1 year disassociated tour, but it took a legit justification and a letter of support from my 3 star To PERS. The pine cone reference is real AF.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Fairly universally, if your next set of orders are sea / operational duty orders, then there's going to be zero appetite to extend you ashore without extenuating circumstances. Doesn't matter who calls the detailer on your behalf. Doesn't matter if your resignation is already approved. Doesn't matter if the shore command is short or gapped billets. There are simply too many gapped billets around the fleet.

As to your second question: the rule revolves around the execution of a > 50 mile PCS. If you do this to a sea / operational billet, it incurs a minimum 12 month obligation. If you do it to shore, its 24 months. This is written somewhere, although I can't remember exactly where. It's more of a detailer / travel funding interlock, but they're also the ones who approve resignations.

Personally, whether you make your intentions clear to your chain of command and detailer should include calculus on whether or not the detailer is going to respond by giving you a job that is both shitty and not career enhancing.

A tale as old as time.

The airlines and the Guard are always hiring. You don't have to put up with this bullshit.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Get your seniority number as soon as you can if you are planning to get out. Starting Capt pay is around 350K a year and my company is currently giving Capt bids to new hires. Don’t know how long that will last.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Get your seniority number as soon as you can if you are planning to get out. Starting Capt pay is around 350K a year and my company is currently giving Capt bids to new hires. Don’t know how long that will last.
They’re hiring pilots what- 2 years out from their AD end date? Damned good deal, if you ask me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of money to be made in the airlines, but what airline is upgrading new hires into year 2 CA WB pay? I know delta has been upgrading people inside 11 months for a while now, but that has been 220 and 717, which aren't anywhere close to 350/hr at year 1-2