• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Resigning Gouge

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can say from personal experience that this is not bad advice. Then again, you could also get a job getting paid as much or more than an O4 anyway, so your net loss may not be that much. But that's probably not the case for you pilots making peanuts your first year in the show. :p
This is not likely. Maybe if you’re using that TS/SCI or TPS to slate into the military-industrial complex somewhere. Or if you’re lucky enough and have the connections and education to end up in Microsoft or a FAANG.

But if you think gold wings are a magic key to earning O-4 plus BAH plus flight pay in the private sector as a starting salary, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn you can get a great deal on, too. No one in the private sector cares, and you’re transitioning into their industry.

Don’t get me wrong, if you keep the work ethic that got you the wings, and you’re not a schmuck, the raises will come, eventually. But barring some good luck, expect to take a pay cut to get your foot in the door.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but I already know 2 dudes who were in my rough YG who went reserves at the earliest moment and still haven't pinned it on. Perhaps you don't care and want to be a hero forever, but if you like getting paid more money, might be something to think about if it isn't too inconvenient for your personal program. Caveat.....today was literally my second day of drilling reserve life, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Something about that doesn't seem right. If you've already been selected before you augment, you've been selected, and you put it on when the message says your number says to. Usually the issue comes up when people augment right before selection, and then they get rolled back a SG by a year.

Caveat...it may have changed in the last couple of years, but I've seen several guys already selected still pin it on as scheduled after augmenting to a 1315.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
But barring some good luck, expect to take a pay cut to get your foot in the door.
Amen to this.

Here’s a sample non-technical JO-turned-civilian career & pay progression.

All values include SELRES pay and don’t include 401k match, equity, or other non-wage comp:

Year 1: 95k
Year 2: 95k (no raises that year)
Year 3: 150k (MOB + new company)
Year 4: 175k (contract work)
Year 5: 200k (boomerang to year 1 company)

YMMV.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Amen to this.

Here’s a sample non-technical JO-turned-civilian career & pay progression.

All values include SELRES pay and don’t include 401k match, equity, or other non-wage comp:

Year 1: 95k
Year 2: 95k (no raises that year)
Year 3: 150k (MOB + new company)
Year 4: 175k (contract work)
Year 5: 200k (boomerang to year 1 company)

YMMV.
I would imagine that for the $$$ mentioned here (and it seems accurate) you'd be stuck in some sooty east coast city or over-crowded west coast earthquake target where a dollar is worth about 86 cents. Just out of curosity, what is meant by a "non-technical" JO?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So, brief nuggets having just done this:

-Everything about letters is old gouge. Everything is via NSIPS now. If you’re the first Officer doing a regular resignation from your command on this system, expect growing pains as people have to be assigned roles in NSIPS. Once it leaves your reporting senior, Millington seemed to move quickly.
-For date planning, you need to work forward your expected accrued leave days in order to find a separation month. Officer resignation seps (different than FOS and retirements) can be any day or the month. Your orders are written for a month, but your last day can be 1-31 as long as you have leave days to make it work (more on than in a second)
-It’s in your financial benefit to maximize terminal leave as those days pay out with BAH, BAS, and Flight Pay. Selling back leave is base pay only.
-For OCONUS, ensure you’ve done TGPS and Separation physical there and have all the paperwork done. Ideally your admin dept will ensure you’ve got all the paperwork, but PM me if you want to know what TPU wants.
-Allso for OCONUS, you’ll be sent back to a stateside separation activity (probably TPU San Diego for Japan, I did Norfolk for Bahrain). Flight via rotator if that’s a thing, otherwise comm air. Stay in the Navy Lodge or NGIS. TPU will check you in, collect your paperwork for PSD, and get you on leave as soon as your leave days allow. Expect a minimum of a week here if your paperwork is good. Longer if you need to fix stuff. Very simple mustering while you wait. At the end you’ll get flown to your home of record or mileage to same. Travel claim once you reach your destination for TPU TAD time. Oh and having a car would help, don’t know if you sold everything going to Japan or not.
-With regards to leaving your command, you’ll need to do the legwork on timelines and negotiate with your front office. Ideally, you submit for a month that gives you ample time to checkout, do TPU, then maximize your terminal dates. This may involve gapping your billet, so they may balk. Worst case you leave midway through your ordered month, do a short fused TPU, and have to sell back a bunch of leave, leaving possibly thousands on the table. Important to work the likely timeline early and often with your chain of command. I left three months before my separation month to take 57 days of terminal, but that’s not guaranteed.
-Reserve affiliation preference happens in that NSIPS form, and the Career Transition Officer will contact you and do the necessary paperwork. I’d recommend doing this no matter what for the TAMP benefits. You probably won’t take the bonus (10k for 3 years) to ensure you’re a free agent, but I plan on at least kicking the NOSC tires for a softer landing. I heard South Field wants helo IPs as well, so don’t sleep on CNATRA either. Of note, for TAMP, there can be no break in service (i.e. last AD day the 15th, reserves start 16th). I’m super new to the reserve game, so I don’t have a lot on this yet.
-Don’t be surprised if your last FITREP is meh, but if your boss is going to help his average with you, make sure it’s noted in Block 42. Depending on timeline, seems most people get detachment of individual plus a Letter or Extension to their last AD day. Engage with your Admin department on that.
-DD214s are all done by PSD and electronically signed in NSIPS. No more sitting with the clerks at PSD. On the plus side you can call them, and they do a lot of these so they (generally) don’t miss small stuff that a boat admin department might mess up. eSign with a CAC reader from home on terminal.
-I’d be remiss if I didn’t say that coming back to a cush shore job and doing separation from there would’ve been 10x easier. I don’t know what OBLISERV is from OCONUS Sea to CONUS Shore, but you could theoretically do a touch and go of less than a year. If you’ve got to time build anyway, that might be a better option than trying to cram it all into a few weeks before starting at a regional. I also don’t have kiddos, just a spouse and dogs, and we’re leaning on family for the transition.

It’s a daunting process, so don’t feel bad for asking questions. Feel free to PM.

squorch2

pilot
I would imagine that for the $$$ mentioned here (and it seems accurate) you'd be stuck in some sooty east coast city or over-crowded west coast earthquake target where a dollar is worth about 86 cents. Just out of curosity, what is meant by a "non-technical" JO?
As with all things, it depends.

You can get those comp levels in major cities without having to travel - assuming you have the right skills.

If you're willing to travel (80-100%), comp goes up significantly and you're not geographically locked - but you're traveling.

Here "non-technical" means "no STEM degree."

One other thing: non-residence MBAs + PMP don't mean a damn thing when it comes to comp. (this could be its own discussion.)

squorch2

pilot
Think about your priorities when getting out:
  • Family
It's not quite an iron triangle, but it's close - and, everything else being equal, location is going to drive your options more than any other factor.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As with all things, it depends.

You can get those comp levels in major cities without having to travel - assuming you have the right skills.

If you're willing to travel (80-100%), comp goes up significantly and you're not geographically locked - but you're traveling.

Here "non-technical" means "no STEM degree."

One other thing: non-residence MBAs + PMP don't mean a damn thing when it comes to comp. (this could be its own discussion.)
Think about your priorities when getting out:
  • Family
It's not quite an iron triangle, but it's close - and, everything else being equal, location is going to drive your options more than any other factor.
True enough. I am among those geographically "trapped" by my job. I love the work, like my co-workers, but hate where I live. I could do the same job almost anywhere...but I'm not going to get the pay I get.

Thanks for the other info...agree with the non-resident education assessment.

taxi1

pilot
I went to grad school coming off of AD, using the Montgomery GI Bill (way not as good as the current one...still jealous), reserves, and a grad stipend to live while going to school. Then got hired and never left, doing science since. An alternate career path, if so inclined.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
-Reserve affiliation preference happens in that NSIPS form, and the Career Transition Officer will contact you and do the necessary paperwork. I’d recommend doing this no matter what for the TAMP benefits. You probably won’t take the bonus (10k for 3 years) to ensure you’re a free agent, but I plan on at least kicking the NOSC tires for a softer landing.
Yep- no matter how sick and tried you are of the admin B.S. and the other things that detract from military service (and those things are all present in the reserves just as much as active duty), don't outright rule out the reserves.

No need to threadjack a perfectly good thread (I can't believe I just wrote that) as there is plenty of other good gouge out there, but there are a lot of ways to continue in the reserves. Doing the minimum in the reserves is probably even less time and effort than you might realize (and doing the minimum is perfectly fine in this case, even if a few people silently judge you on your fifteen pieces of flair), the benefits—especially health insurance—are competitive, the financial bridge is helpful in your first year or two after getting off active duty, and it'll scratch the itch of the former lifestyle you just resigned from.

Just don't judge the whole reserves by your experience of being a newb at NOSC drill weekend. It's like a two day long safety stand down without the funny videos. Hopefully your NOSC has a critical mass of people who are interested in making it as painless as possible. NOSCs get a bad rap (often deserved) but there ones out there who are staffed by people who genuinely care about helping reservists navigate the bureaucracy.

YMMV. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

SlickAg

pilot
Yep- no matter how sick and tried you are of the admin B.S. and the other things that detract from military service (and those things are all present in the reserves just as much as active duty), don't outright rule out the reserves.

No need to threadjack a perfectly good thread (I can't believe I just wrote that) as there is plenty of other good gouge out there, but there are a lot of ways to continue in the reserves. Doing the minimum in the reserves is probably even less time and effort than you might realize (and doing the minimum is perfectly fine in this case, even if a few people silently judge you on your fifteen pieces of flair), the benefits—especially health insurance—are competitive, the financial bridge is helpful in your first year or two after getting off active duty, and it'll scratch the itch of the former lifestyle you just resigned from.

Just don't judge the whole reserves by your experience of being a newb at NOSC drill weekend. It's like a two day long safety stand down without the funny videos. Hopefully your NOSC has a critical mass of people who are interested in making it as painless as possible. NOSCs get a bad rap (often deserved) but there ones out there who are staffed by people who genuinely care about helping reservists navigate the bureaucracy.

YMMV. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Caveat: if you do not have a flying reserve job, e.g. CNATRA SAUs, TSW, or VR wing, plan on getting mobilized for a year after your two year dwell is up. Notification can occur as early as 18 months into dwell because mobs can get assigned 6 months out.

Currently there is a fence around SELRES fliers protecting us from mobs.

Any questions fire away.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Just out of curosity, what is meant by a "non-technical" JO?

Someone without a STEM degree. That said, even STEM degree holders will have a difficult time as they are not current in their field and will likely still take pay cut if they are trying to get into a technical position such as doing design or analytical work. Management is a different issue.

MBAs are a dime a dozen in the business world and Engineering Management degrees are quickly catching up. If you are getting an MBA from a no-name university that cannot provide you with a good network for hiring, then you are not going to get the big bucks.