• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

reserves then PLC?

pctairmen22

The other day i went to my local mall and i was standing outside of a store with her brother and we were ambushed by two marine recruiters. I told them i wasnt interested in the reserves but they said that if you join the reserves first it will boost your PLC application. I was wondering if that is true or they are just trying to rope me in and enlist. Thanks guys.

schwarti

Contributor
There was just recently a thread about this - do a search and you should come up with some pretty good information. Chances are, whatever your questions are, they've been answered by smarter people than me, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

usmcecho4

pilot
The vast majority of people in the PLC program have no prior enlisted experience (maybe 10-15% are priors). I'm sure a good reserve record wouldn't hurt your PLC application; however, if PLC is your primary goal the reserves would be an unnecessary detour as PLC designed primarily for college students with no prior time.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Going Reserves before entering a Marine Commissioning Program can be either a good or bad thing. I've seen some kids go through who should have gone to boot camp to get some back bone before going to OCS. Also, I've seen the opposite where the kids was perfectly fine without going through the reserves first. Just remember, if you go reserves and your unit is tapped to deploy, the unit does NOT have to honor your PLC or OCC obligation. The reserve unit owns you, and can tell you what to do. Therefore, if you want to risk going to Iraq before you commission, that can happen when you join the reserves, and no one can promise you anything otherwise.