• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

reserves option if FOS x2 active duty

superswab

So.... I'm an NFO. My community has been getting crushed at the O-4 board last couple years... 60ish percent FY14, 50ish percent FY15.
If I stay in the navy (my initial commitment is up soon), and don't make O-4, can I at least salvage my time in by staying in the reserves for the 20yr reserve retirement? I'm thinking if I fail to select twice I'm completely out, and even the reserves is not an option, but I wasn't able to explicitly find an answer to this.
Thanks for any info anyone might be able to provide.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not true at all. After being FOS'ed out, you can still affiliate with the Reserves. Depending on your record, getting a spot at a hardware unit (or a SAU) may be competitive, but even if that doesn't happen, you can still affiliate and finish your 20 on the Reserve side. You'll probably even make O-4, as long as you participate.

superswab

Weird, something I read on BOL seemed to indicate high year tenure (or whatever it's called for officers) rules still applied for SELRES...
ok thanks man, i'll look more into it

m5h9

So.... I'm an NFO. .

If you resign your AD commission you will have to commission in the reserves, hopefully the day after without a break in service (this is what I did as a NFO with 9 years of AD time). I'm not sure about riding it out until separation. either way you can contact the CTO at NAVPERS for more info - link below. The FOS x 2 hasn't been a show stopper for LCDR in my anecdotal experience - moral reasons not withstanding. Good luck.

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/TRANSITION/Pages/Officer.aspx

subreservist

Every single person I knew that FOSd'e on active made reserve O4. Often immediately after affiliation.

But don't take any separation pay, unless you don't mind being on the hook for it later when you reach reserve retirement.

Also, the reserve O4 selection for the past 3 cycles has been 85-90% for URL.

I actually took a break in service between active and reserve. I don't recommend taking a long break like I did, but if you do need one, you could affiliate after a year off and be ok. You might actually be eligible for an affiliation bonus, which you probably wouldn't get with a direct transition, but the CTO would be able to answer that.

I also had to "re-commission", which isn't really any work on your part, but you have to play the waiting game until it's approved. I had to wait just over a year.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Totally doable. I was FOSx2 active, then picked up O-4 on the first look as SELRES. CTO gets the list of non-selects and reaches out, or at least they did when I was in transition. That said, during the transition, check and doublecheck anything CTO tells you; they're a bunch of morons. I'd disagree on the advice about the severance. Depending on when/where you are job hunting, or if you've got a gig lined up, the severance and SELRES pay will at least keep you on your feet if you don't pick up a civilian gig right away. Word of warning as another NFO: civilian HR knows jack and squat about the military, and it seems most are not willing to look beyond their little checkboxes to determine if you'd succeed in a position. At a job fair or wherever you can find them, find some non-vet civilians, the further from the military the better, and have them chop your resume.

superswab

Totally doable. I was FOSx2 active, then picked up O-4 on the first look as SELRES. CTO gets the list of non-selects and reaches out, or at least they did when I was in transition. That said, during the transition, check and doublecheck anything CTO tells you; they're a bunch of morons. I'd disagree on the advice about the severance. Depending on when/where you are job hunting, or if you've got a gig lined up, the severance and SELRES pay will at least keep you on your feet if you don't pick up a civilian gig right away. Word of warning as another NFO: civilian HR knows jack and squat about the military, and it seems most are not willing to look beyond their little checkboxes to determine if you'd succeed in a position. At a job fair or wherever you can find them, find some non-vet civilians, the further from the military the better, and have them chop your resume.
ok, thanks man. Yeah not a whole lot of opportunities on the outside for NFOs, i gather. I appreciate the info. If I may ask, how long ago did you transition to SELRES?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'd disagree on the advice about the severance. Depending on when/where you are job hunting, or if you've got a gig lined up, the severance and SELRES pay will at least keep you on your feet if you don't pick up a civilian gig right away.

Is there any truth to having to pay it back at some point or having it taken from your reserve retirement?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok, thanks man. Yeah not a whole lot of opportunities on the outside for NFOs, i gather. I appreciate the info. If I may ask, how long ago did you transition to SELRES?
End of this January. And admittedly, I'm being picky with location in my job search because after busting my ass for Big Navy for 10 years, and seeing how that worked out, part of me is in "look out for #1" mode on the civilian front. I'm sure if I really wanted to move to East Bufu . . .
Is there any truth to having to pay it back at some point or having it taken from your reserve retirement?
Yes. The severance is essentially an advance on your reserve retirement if you earn one. It is pro-rated out of your reserve retirement to "pay it back." Technically, you have to affiliate with the IRR or SELRES to get severance in the first place, or sign a page 13 that you are unable for whatever reason (medical, etc). It's all in the MILPERSMAN. I'm hoping that when I retire, I'll have enough socked away that having to have my pension pro-rated to pay back my severance will be a non-issue. Knock on wood.

subreservist

As nittany said, it is true.

And I also agree with his advice...it all depends on how you value your money. You could easily take your severance and invest it and have it grow by leaps and bounds with more value than if you received it in retirement.

I defaulted to the cautious approach, as I have seen folks "squander" their severance and not know or recall about it being recouped on the retirement end, so they ended up surprised by their monthly amount.

As long as you go into the decision informed, it puts you ahead of the game either way.

Also, there is the chance you don't stay in the reserves and earn retirement!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Weird, something I read on BOL seemed to indicate high year tenure (or whatever it's called for officers) rules still applied for SELRES...
ok thanks man, i'll look more into it

HYT still exists on the SELRES side, but it's usually not an issue for aviation Os. Technically O-4 at 20 is HYT, and if you haven't managed your points correctly, you could hit HYT and not be eligible for retirement.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You pay it back with 75% of your retirement pay until you pay it off, basically a tax free loan for 30 or so years. When you calculate the value of your reserve retirement after doing enough years to get a severance the money you have to pay back is miniscule when compared to the value of your retirement.

HYT still exists on the SELRES side, but it's usually not an issue for aviation Os. Technically O-4 at 20 is HYT, and if you haven't managed your points correctly, you could hit HYT and not be eligible for retirement.

I know of two folks that happened to, one was just one year short and the other 3 years short. The one who was three years short did three years as a SGT in the National Guard and qualified for his retirement, not sure what happened with the other. We have one guy in my unit now who is at 22.5 years and got a waiver to go out to 24 to get 20 good years.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're an E-2 guy? The SAU needs people badly and particularly wants more of a West Coast presence. If you've got a reasonably good rep in the community, put in a package. PM me if you need contact info.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I went through this last year as well. During my transition out the CTO and USNR communities pushed hard for me to join SELRES. I got a form letter from CNAFR asking me to consider affiliating and then I got a phone call from a VR recruiter to see if I was interested in affiliating with a unit. I also spoke to some other communities about SELRES opportunities; the bottom line is that there are opportunities out there to go SELRES if that's your thing.

In my opinion, you'd be a fool to skip out on your severance. You never know what the future may hold with regards to SELRES and if you'll be able to make it to 20. Additionally, you don't know if at 20 you'll be an O-4, an O-5, or an O-6. Heck, you may not even make O-4. I know there were some of us 2xFOS guys who were AZNPC for this year's O-4 board. I picked it up in the IRR but there were several names on the list that I didn't see. If you want to affiliate, you might as well take the money plus the affiliation bonus. If you don't want to play in the reserves, it'd be silly to pass up that much cash to avoid staying on the books for three years. You can use that severance to buy a house, invest smartly (early money!), or pay off debt. If you can't find a job quickly, you can easily live off of it for at least a year.

J.Bourne

Watch out for your fitreps while still on active. I received a couple Ps because the CO didn't want to waste an EP on someone who was missing a required check in the box for Active O-4. He said this was normal and recognized by the Reservist so it would not affect my promotion in the reserves (which the CTO confirmed). After the reserve O-4 board, they came back with since your last couple fitreps on active duty were Ps you were passed over.