• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RESERVE PILOT SELECTION BOARD TO FLY NAVY HH-60H FOR SOF/CSAR

HSC-84

pilot
Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron Eight Four (HSC-84) is seeking qualified pilots to fly the HH-60H helicopter. HSC-84 a Navy Reserve squadron located at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia. The “Redwolves“ fly Special Operations support and Combat Search and Rescue missions. It is one of only two squadrons in the U.S. Navy which are dedicated to the support of Special Forces missions across all branches of service. HSC-84 is seeking Reserve Officers, who are qualified rotary wing aviators. Part time positions only. The squadron is not able to cross train FW aviators nor have any UPT slots.

Applicants must meet the following MINIMUM qualifications:

* Must be a commissioned military officer
* Must be a rotary winged aviator
* 1000 hours of total flight time
* 100 hours NVG experience

H-60 experience is not required, but highly desirable. All Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard rotary wing pilots are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a very busy unit with plenty of reserve drilling opportunities. All pilots are expected to serve more than one weekend per month and 2 weeks per year.

*** Any Rotary Winged Warrant Officers with a 4-year accredited college degree, contact for possible direct commission programs.***

POC: CHSCWL Reserve Squadron Officer. COMM: (757) 445-0232 / DSN: 565-0232 / E-MAIL: William.d.hughes@navy.mil.

***** PILOT SELECTION BOARD IS MAY 29TH*****
** APPLICATIONS DUE BY MAY 15TH**

HSC-84

pilot
Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron Eight Four (HSC-84) is seeking qualified pilots to fly the HH-60H helicopter. HSC-84 a Navy Reserve squadron located at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia. The “Redwolves“ fly Special Operations support and Combat Search and Rescue missions. It is one of only two squadrons in the U.S. Navy which are dedicated to the support of Special Forces missions across all branches of service. HSC-84 is seeking Reserve Officers, who are qualified rotary wing aviators. Part time positions only. The squadron is not able to cross train FW aviators nor have any UPT slots.

H-60 experience is not required, but highly desirable. All Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard rotary wing pilots are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a very busy unit with plenty of reserve drilling opportunities. All pilots are expected to serve more than one weekend per month and 2 weeks per year.

*** Any Rotary Winged Warrant Officers with a 4-year accredited college degree, contact for possible direct commission programs.***

POC: CHSCWL Reserve Squadron Officer. COMM: (757) 445-0232 / DSN: 565-0232 / E-MAIL:
William.d.hughes@navy.mil

MasterBates

How long are you projecting for training and "payback" tour before going to "semi normal SELRES" schedule?

<-- Former HSL guy. Also flew E-2s.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How long are you projecting for training and "payback" tour before going to "semi normal SELRES" schedule?

<-- Former HSL guy. Also flew E-2s.

There really isn't such a thing as a "semi-normal SELRES" schedule for either of those squadrons.

BREAK

Any reason this is in the Marine Reserves section? Do you mind if I move it over to the Naval Reserves section?

MasterBates

Let me rephrase that.. What sort of schedule, between training, payback, and "normal for this unit" are you looking for?

My limited experience with trying to fly SELRES, is if you have a "normal" job, you have a real hard time being available as much as they want, and attempting to hold down a civilian job, unless you are an airline bubba.

(that is from applying to VT, HT and VR, and the feedback I got.. Not sure how HSL-60 or VAW-77 are, haven't applied to them)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don, I didn't see the other thread until now, so I'll probably merge them.

MB, didn't you go through this before? I'll let him answer specific to -84, but from what I see with guys at -85, plan on getting put on orders to go to HSC-3 to get H qual'ed. That right there is going to be a couple of months, especially since they only have a couple of Fs left. Then you have to work through your level quals back at the squadron. It's going to take a while if you're not there very much.

Pretty much every hardware unit (or hardware support unit) is going to need you there several times a month to keep you current and useful. Well, except maybe -77, since they're going away.

MasterBates

I was asking because every unit I have contacted has had different "preferences" for getting up to speed. Some would bring you in full time until trained, others just wanted "more than min drilling" or a couple 2 week blocks throughout the year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can tell you -85 brings guys in full time. Since it's the same RAG and it's on the other side of the country, I'm guessing -84 does the same thing, but that's something to work out with the unit while you're rushing.

HSC-84

pilot
I don't mind if merged. Just wanted to get the word out to any USMC rotary winged aviator. We have a few former Marines in the squadron, they may not have thought about coming to the Navy side.

HSC-84

pilot
MB, we used to be able to do in house training here as far as FRS. Right now we send everyone to the HSC-3. Will take 1-4 months depending on your currency and prior platform. We would prefer to have you local and or mobilized for a year to get you trained up. It will be impossible to get qualified here on the 2 weeks a year 1 weekend a month. Most SELRES have jobs flying in civilian life(EMS/airlines/contracting) or are local.

phrogpilot73

We have a few former Marines in the squadron, they may not have thought about coming to the Navy side.
The one I used to know over there is up in DC now I think. Former MAWTS-1 instructor, former Phrog guy, alumnus of the Geese and just got screened for FTS HSC command. Great American.

phrogpilot73

I don't mind if merged. Just wanted to get the word out to any USMC rotary winged aviator. We have a few former Marines in the squadron, they may not have thought about coming to the Navy side. If you want to move/merge I am ok with that.
Merged.

tp456

POC: CHSCWL Reserve Squadron Officer. COMM: (757) 445-0232 / DSN: 565-0232 / E-MAIL:
William.d.hughes@navy.mil
Just stumbled on this and was wondering what kind of opportunities there are for HSM pilots to come to HSC-84 as FTS? Looking at possible post sea-tour options, any info would be great!