• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve or Civ to OCS

Matthew545

Hopeful Aviator
Hello all! Future hopeful SNA/SNFO here.

I'm a recently discharged AT2 (Aug 21) who will be graduating with my bachelors this summer (Aug 22). Now because my official EAOS was October, I still can join the reserves and have a two year mobilization deferment.

My question is do you think it would be a wise decision to join the reserves with the intention of starting my OCS application?
My thought process is as follows..
1) Interviews may go over easier as they might be within my chain of command rather than complete strangers
2) Since I would most likely be stationed out of Pax River I would be able to get more and better quality referrals
3) I wouldn't have to fill out a SF-86 again until later down the road (My secret should be good till 2025)
4) Less intrusive medical, going through a MTF as a fleet applicant rather than MEPS as a civilian.
5) Board more likely to take me seriously as fleet applicant than a veteran

I'm probably more specifically fishing for input from those who have had a successful transition from Reserve / AD to OCS. I know a lot of information about applying as a civilian from talking with a local recruiter but is the process any easier/harder from your POV as a fleet applicant?

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Short answer: You do you, man.

Longer answer: Enlist in the Reserve if you would be happy serving as a weekend warrior. What happens if you don't get selected for OCS or something doesn't pan out?

I wouldn't enlist / affiliate in the Reserve just because it may give you a leg up in the application process or make the process easier.

By the way, boards don't care if you're enlisted or not. They care that you have the right stats and application to be selected as both a Naval Officer and whatever officer designator you're applying for.

Take that into consideration...

TheClyde

1. Theoretically possible
2. Again, possible, but plenty of other ways to network as well.
3. Doesn't an SF-86 take like 2 hours to fill out?
4. Do you have medical concerns? I did not find MEPS to be very intrusive at all (I guess the questionnaire is lengthy/intrusive but the exam wasn't)
5. What evidence of this do you have?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, boards don't care if you're enlisted or not. They care that you have the right stats and application to be selected as both a Naval Officer and whatever officer designator you're applying for.
Hard to believe that is the case. I know for a fact it wasn't a true statement back in the day. A prior, Reservist or Active Duty enlisted person applying for OCS is a more reliable candidate. They are less likely to DOR OCS, know the lifestyle and career challenges as they affect family, have X number of years already invested in retirement which makes them more likely to serve past EAOS and, depending on rank, have demonstrated leadership skills documented by Naval Officers. It would be insane for the Board not to take that information into account. I help in hiring for Mrs Wink's law firm. I'd rather have a candidate for an associate attorney job who is a prior paralegal with experience in our practice area and had worked for a colleague at another firm we can call for references, than a rando law school graduate who's employment references come from a Starbucks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hard to believe that is the case. I know for a fact it wasn't a true statement back in the day. A prior, Reservist or Active Duty enlisted person applying for OCS is a more reliable candidate. They are less likely to DOR OCS, know the lifestyle and career challenges as they affect family, have X number of years already invested in retirement which makes them more likely to serve past EAOS and, depending on rank, have demonstrated leadership skills documented by Naval Officers. It would be insane for the Board not to take that information into account. I help in hiring for Mrs Wink's law firm. I'd rather have a candidate for an associate attorney job who is a prior paralegal with experience in our practice area and had worked for a colleague at another firm we can call for references, than a rando law school graduate who's employment references come from a Starbucks.

Most boards, the OAR and ASTB score (followed by GPA) are what help dictate the board.

Going back to your law firm scenario... you might have the best candidate with prior legal experience, but what help or use are they as an attorney if they can't pass the BAR or any other requirement?

Matthew545

Hopeful Aviator
1. Theoretically possible
2. Again, possible, but plenty of other ways to network as well.
3. Doesn't an SF-86 take like 2 hours to fill out?
4. Do you have medical concerns? I did not find MEPS to be very intrusive at all (I guess the questionnaire is lengthy/intrusive but the exam wasn't)
5. What evidence of this do you have?
2. I didn't really network while I was in because I did not know that references were part of an officer application. I know I can get my old Master Chief's recommendation but other than that I didn't really talk with any pilots or higher ups. I think getting a pilots referral at Pax potentially as a reservist would be a whole lot better than my employer or professor.

3/4. I had a suicide attempt my first year in service and I continued to serve for another 5 years. That could present problems with an initial clearance review and MEPS that's partially why I want to get around that. I know I will likely be disqualified for Pilot/NFO at OCS/Pensacola but I can always redesignate to IP or SWO and I'd be okay with that. Officer first.

5. None but it's like the old saying for evals/fitrep: Yes the main things you need to work on are performance, leadership, qualifications, etc.. But if there are two equal candidates they might take something minuscule like NKO leadership courses into account to set you two apart.

Either way I appreciate the advice on this thread. My motivation isn't just to beefen up my OCS application, even if I never get accepted to OCS I still want to serve in some capacity, just not AD enlisted.

exNavyOffRec

I would say affiliate just to ensure when you do apply you aren't outside your MSO and then every medical issue is looked at with a magnifying glass.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most boards, the OAR and ASTB score (followed by GPA) are what help dictate the board.

Going back to your law firm scenario... you might have the best candidate with prior legal experience, but what help or use are they as an attorney if they can't pass the BAR or any other requirement?
I never said prior enlisted service trumped the ASTB or OAR. You said prior service isn't a factor at all. I cast doubt on that assertion and gave good reasons why it should be considered. Likewise, my analogy does not discount passing the bar. But if we were to hire a law school grad on the basis they pass the bar some months later, I would still give the unlicensed law school grad with a paralegal background extra consideration over the BARista. It is nonsense to argue about. If prior service wasn't a factor, then why ask for service records or reject the kid with three NJPs?

exNavyOffRec

2. I didn't really network while I was in because I did not know that references were part of an officer application. I know I can get my old Master Chief's recommendation but other than that I didn't really talk with any pilots or higher ups. I think getting a pilots referral at Pax potentially as a reservist would be a whole lot better than my employer or professor.

3/4. I had a suicide attempt my first year in service and I continued to serve for another 5 years. That could present problems with an initial clearance review and MEPS that's partially why I want to get around that. I know I will likely be disqualified for Pilot/NFO at OCS/Pensacola but I can always redesignate to IP or SWO and I'd be okay with that. Officer first.

5. None but it's like the old saying for evals/fitrep: Yes the main things you need to work on are performance, leadership, qualifications, etc.. But if there are two equal candidates they might take something minuscule like NKO leadership courses into account to set you two apart.

Either way I appreciate the advice on this thread. My motivation isn't just to beefen up my OCS application, even if I never get accepted to OCS I still want to serve in some capacity, just not AD enlisted.
3/4 would be that reason I mentioned to affiliate so you aren't looked at as a new person trying to come into the USN.

AntonFerra1

Short answer: You do you, man.

Longer answer: Enlist in the Reserve if you would be happy serving as a weekend warrior. What happens if you don't get selected for OCS or something doesn't pan out?

I wouldn't enlist / affiliate in the Reserve just because it may give you a leg up in the application process or make the process easier.

Take that into consideration...
I have a question; would anyone be able to help me find O5 and above officer contacts for OCS interviews?

exNavyOffRec

Currently Active Duty. I would like to go for Public Affairs Officer, Civil Engineer Officer, and Supply Officer.
Unless you are a MC you have a slim chance of PAO, they almost always pick from the MC rate and you have to have published works (board deadline is tomorrow 2/25). If you want to go CEC do you have a degree in Engineering and an EIT? Supply does prefer degree in business or STEM but they have picked others as well.