• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Medical at age 60?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Still a few years away, but can anyone outline the medical benefits that reservists get at age 60? (when retirement starts). Is it the same medical benefits that the active duty gets immediately? Also, does it include your whole family or just yourself?

To
Five years of benefits... what a deal...
Be clear, it goes until age 65 because at that point you'll fall under Medicare. I've heard that the reserve retirement medical benefits really help out with part D (prescriptions) expenses once your on Medicare.

I've never asked directly, but I've gotten the impression from my family members that the medical benefits (60-65 and 65+) are a nice little perk, akin to the reserve paycheck or pension in degree of appreciation.

snake020

Contributor
To

Be clear, it goes until age 65 because at that point you'll fall under Medicare. I've heard that the reserve retirement medical benefits really help out with part D (prescriptions) expenses once your on Medicare.

I've never asked directly, but I've gotten the impression from my family members that the medical benefits (60-65 and 65+) are a nice little perk, akin to the reserve paycheck or pension in degree of appreciation.

Fair enough, maybe I'll better understand when I get closer to that age. Assuming I can still get a reserve retirement.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a part time job? Yeah, not a bad deal. Not many part time jobs (yes I know the obligation has been onerous for many these last 10+ years but it is voluntary) provide a pension of any sort for 20 years total service with credit given for a previous full time (active duty) job.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Still a few years away, but can anyone outline the medical benefits that reservists get at age 60? (when retirement starts). Is it the same medical benefits that the active duty gets immediately? Also, does it include your whole family or just yourself?

check it out on the web: Tricare and tricare for life (after you turn 65). Tricare pays very well, especially for drugs. I am 68, have had a few surgeries and never got a bill for anything. It will be a nice addition to your monthly retirement....

enjoy...it works well...lasts long time....

rotorhead1871

pilot
To

you are correct......I have been retired for 8 years and the benefits are GREATLY APPRECIATED>

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
check it out on the web: Tricare and tricare for life (after you turn 65). Tricare pays very well, especially for drugs. I am 68, have had a few surgeries and never got a bill for anything. It will be a nice addition to your monthly retirement....

enjoy...it works well...lasts long time....
Until congress takes it away or reduces said benefit..

rotorhead1871

pilot

then you automatically are converted to TFL..(tricare for life)...and it keeps going in a GOOD way....so at 65 you get medcare A, and B and TFL as second payer....it works real good....

keep the faith and enjoy the ride.....

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
always a possibility.....but low probability
I hope your right. I have 16 years before it really matters to me but I have little faith in this government! The sad part is an earned benefit like TFL will likely be reduced while a handout like Medicaid will continue and probably expand coverage..

rotorhead1871

pilot
I hope your right. I have 16 years before it really matters to me but I have little faith in this government! The sad part is an earned benefit like TFL will likely be reduced while a handout like Medicaid will continue and probably expand coverage..

I had the same misgivings back in 2000, and a good friend of mine who was a USAF reserve type (MD) was saying that TRICARE will never make it and it will be gone and replaced by vouchers or some cheeze wiz debacle.....WELL.....its still here!!..and there is NO talk of it going anywhere........so keep the faith my brother!

the prize awaits you.....you earned it and you will enjoy the bennies..

For a part time job? Yeah, not a bad deal. Not many part time jobs (yes I know the obligation has been onerous for many these last 10+ years but it is voluntary) provide a pension of any sort for 20 years total service with credit given for a previous full time (active duty) job.
I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I'm pretty sure *everyone's* benefits switch to secondary at 65, when Medicaid kicks in. So while I'm certainly not a .mil apologist, I think the military just said "reserve retirement perks start at 60", and big .gov said "at 65, Medicaid becomes your primary health plan". Glad to hear that my family's experience w/TFL are echoed here--it does seem like if you can hang in the for 20, it's worth it...

rotorhead1871

pilot
at 60 you get Tricare and the cash.......at 65 when you get medicare part B, that activates your TFL (as second payer)....its all good. do it...get there...it is worth it.

Best of luck...