• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Jobs in Wyoming?

magnetfreezer

If you're willing to consider Guard as well there's an Air Guard C-130 unit in Cheyenne and an Army Guard medevac (60s I think) in Rapid City.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
MB, you're smart to be cautious about the commute. That is what hurts the "out of towners" the most. Part of the training command reserves contract is a minimum of 60 days per year (as opposed to ~36 for the reserves in general). Airline/cargo carrier/etc. guys who can jumpseat have a much much easier time. I'm not saying don't, just saying that it is wise of you to be thinking it all the way through.

I suspect the unwritten IP currency thing is fading away because now all of the "wings + 7 years" commitment helicopter guys are gone away now, 7 was replaced by 8, and wings + 8 = dissociated tour. The rules for qual/requal/recent experience in the training manuals for IPs also ebb and flow over time so I wouldn't lose sleep overthinking whether someone is willing to spend X dollars on your training or Y dollars on someone else. "Junior, most qualified" is always important, but those are not the only important things...

Training command drill weekends are normally only every quarter. Lots of guys spread out the rest of their drills and annual training around the rest of the year in a small number of large blocks, others in a large number of small blocks... ideally no one would ever expire on any currency but realistically most guys occasionally expire on one or more currencies over the course of a year.

Phrog, Gator, and eas covered how much scheduling slack and flexibility is kosher in most units. The training command reserves are similarly reasonable.

Last thought- unfortunately, there is plenty of gray area between USERRA/ESGR, right-to-work, closed shop, at-will, and getting promotions and raises at your real job...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you're willing to consider Guard as well there's an Air Guard C-130 unit in Cheyenne and an Army Guard medevac (60s I think) in Rapid City.

Absolutely no harm in rushing a Guard unit. You may even find you like them. I know it's the pointy nose side of the house but at one point 1/2 of my Old Man's unit was either Navy or Marines who had left AD because they were tired of the BS and wanted to just fly.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
MB - if you don't already know about it...ask the NOSC what the "Ready Mobilization List" is and how it works. It is basically a list of SELRES that will have a high (to very high) chance of deploying within the next year. If you get put on it, and them decide to go IRR to avoid the impending deployement/IA, your paper going out the door will not allow you to affiliate ever again and would most likely affect getting on with another service...just FYI.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB - if you don't already know about it...ask the NOSC what the "Ready Mobilization List" is and how it works. It is basically a list of SELRES that will have a high (to very high) chance of deploying within the next year. If you get put on it, and them decide to go IRR to avoid the impending deployement/IA, your paper going out the door will not allow you to affiliate ever again and would most likely affect getting on with another service...just FYI.

If he affiliates to the the drilling reserves within 6 months of leaving active duty he has a two-year 'holiday' from mobilization, a on year 'holiday' if he affiliates within a year.

MasterBates

And with that, I'm back at my initial take on the "I have no problems with reserves, if they are used as intended" being that they are a RESERVE force of leadership/talent to draw on for a massive buildup. Like how they were used in WWII and Korea.

They new "Reserves are same as AD, with longer dwell time at home".. Not so keen on. Well, I have 3 months to figure it out.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
And with that, I'm back at my initial take on the "I have no problems with reserves, if they are used as intended" being that they are a RESERVE force of leadership/talent to draw on for a massive buildup. Like how they were used in WWII and Korea.

They new "Reserves are same as AD, with longer dwell time at home".. Not so keen on. Well, I have 3 months to figure it out.

Then there's the "how they were used in Vietnam" paradigm, which was, "not much."

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
If you go to the Navy Reserve APPLY website (https://private.navyreserve.navy.mil/Apply/index.aspx, CAC card required) and select "JO APPLY", you can sort by the various NOSCs and regions to see what jobs (and units) are out there. Generally doesn't cover the hardware units (or most intel billets, for some dorked up reason), but you can get a sense of what non-flying jobs might be available. You can also sort by NOBC or designator to see what jobs might require aviation or aviation-related experience.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When 25% of the Navy reservists who are ordered to mobilize nowadays 'fall out' for one reason or another, mostly medical, I don't think we would do all that good a job at the 'intended' job either.

The simple fact is that the reserves are not the pool of folks that will back up the active duty folks when the Russians pour through the Fulda or GIUK gaps, those days are long gone. They are also not the same as active duty with longer dwell times, I have met only a tiny handful of people who have been involuntarily mobilized two or more times (you don't count FlyinSpy.......I said IN-voluntary, not necessarily what it says on your orders ;)) Getting mobilized is a fact of life though and it will almost certainly happen if you join the reserves, unless you are supporting non-deployable hardware units like VTs or VRs and even they get tagged sometimes, the numbers will diminish over the next few years but it will not go away for a long time, if ever. If that isn't in the cards for you and/or your real job then I don't think being a drilling reservist is your cup of tea.

All that said the pay and the benefits are good along with retirement at 60, or sooner if mobilized. A lot of the pain is still there but it is on a much smaller scale.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For us, we can do the occasional RIDT (reschedule of drill, I used it every Saturday drill when I was in Culinary school) but the expectation is that you're there for drill weekend. The only guys they let do the "all of your year's drills at once" are guys that took some sort of shit job that was deployed for a year (one guy just came back from Afghanistan, 1 year with MCLL). Things will change (timelines, COs, etc) but I plan on pre-drilling all of my Q2 FY 16 drills. Why? We decomission as a Phrog squadron (as of right now) Q1 FY16, and I'll be too senior to transition because I retire Q2 FY16. I'd rather have my last Phrog flight as my retirement flight...

Ahh, good point. I forgot about mentioning the actual act of the resked with a non-flex drill unit. Same, same at my last squadron. There were 4 mandatory weekends, otherwise, reskeds were normal.

@MB,

As Flash said, you can dislike the use of the Reserves all you want (I certainly do), but it's not going to change how they're utilized now. That said, it's a decent way to keep your foot in the door while earning benefits, even if it's at a NOSC. And like Flash said (I think it was him), you're exempt from the mobilization for a little while. But if you want to depart the Navy, never to see it again, that's okay too. You've done your time and served, which is more than most.

MasterBates

It would be a lot easier to walk if not for the all/nothing binary retirement as well. Once I took the DH Bonus, I planned on staying to 20.. Since I would be at 14-15 or so when I could walk after that was up. (still got 3 of 6 checks.. ka-CHING!)

Not to threadjack my own thread.. But having a 401K that was contributed to by the Navy (vice the all/nothing pension) would have made it a bit easier to choose. As of now, it looks like I would get about $1900/mo in 2011 dollars from a reserve retirement if I did the bare min for 9 more years and made LCDR along the way.

I just need to decide if deploying at least once again, and the career impacts is worth it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
thread jack to a thread jack (ka-pow): you raise an interesting question MB: is paying someone a retirement check for doing the "bare min" a good deal for a government / military that is gonna take a $500billion kick in the pants come Wednesday?

KBayDog

thread jack to a thread jack (ka-pow): you raise an interesting question MB: is paying someone a retirement check for doing the "bare min" a good deal for a government / military that is gonna take a $500billion kick in the pants come Wednesday?

Eh, just like with the recent round(s) of continuing resolutions, those of us CONUS will just show up to work Wednesday, have our Safety Stand Downs, and roll into our long weekends. Those who are deployed will do their things.

The money will show up from somewhere (it always seems to, doesn't it?), and this will get larger in the process.