• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO May 2023 Board

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
I am creating this thread as I am currently putting in a Reserve DCO application for Engineering Duty Officer for the May 2023 board (kits due 21-Apr).

I am non-prior, currently work as a Technical Program Manager with about 16 years of work experience encompassing software, systems, product, and program management where much of my early work experience at SPAWAR was as a civilian contractor, have a B.S. Electrical Engineering and Masters in Wireless Embedded Systems, both from UCSD, and have an Engineering In Training certificate (passed FE/EIT).

I currently have two of the interviews knocked out (one O-6 and one O-5) and my recruiter hasn’t found a third interviewer yet and we’re getting pretty close to the deadline so I thought help her out to ask if anyone in our community here knows of any Reserve or Active EDOs at the O-5 or O-6+ level in San Diego or elsewhere that would be willing to do an in person (if in San Diego) or virtual interview? Unfortunately all the EDOs I used to work with in the various PMWs have already retired over the last 3-4 years so I’m hoping someone in the community may know someone- thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I currently have two of the interviews knocked out (one O-6 and one O-5) and my recruiter hasn’t found a third interviewer yet and we’re getting pretty close to the deadline so I thought help her out to ask if anyone in our community here knows of any Reserve or Active EDOs at the O-5 or O-6+ level in San Diego or elsewhere that would be willing to do an in person (if in San Diego) or virtual interview? Unfortunately all the EDOs I used to work with in the various PMWs have already retired over the last 3-4 years so I’m hoping someone in the community may know someone- thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

1. Your recruiter should be in touch with the reserve EDO community manager to find qualified officers who can interview.
2. You may find some reserve EDOs on LinkedIn who similarly may be willing to interview you.

Lots of resources either at your disposal or your recruiter’s.

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
Thank you for the quick reply! Before writing here I had started searching LinkedIn and may have found a few EDOs that I will try connecting with and messaging to see if they’re willing to help interview me for my package.

On another topic, a majority of my experience is both as a systems engineer and software engineer where most of my recent civilian experience was as a technical lead for two Navy tech integration programs for NAVAIR where I led each program through the various stages of the system engineering “V”. From your past recruiter experience, would you say this experience, in addition to my wireless, IT, and past coding background in embedded systems is valuable to the EDO community as a whole to where I would be considered competitive? I ask as I read somewhere where many of the applicants would be Ph.D holders and so it was a bit intimidating as while I would like to get a Ph.D someday, most of my academic work has been in the applied space and not so much in the theoretical yet and so I’m seeking wise counsel from any who have gone through the process before so that I can do extra steps to ensure my package is as competitive as possible- thanks again for any assistance you can provide!

Tamitty2661

Reserve EDO (1465)
I'm a non prior that was selected for REDO DCO in the February board. I dont have have a PhD, nor a masters (in progress), nor EIT cert....so I wouldn't get hung up on that. I do have a MBA (which is specifically excluded in PA) for what it's worth. I had reccommendation letters from O-8, O-7 (REDO community), and O-5, all of them were retired which I knew via work, so that probably helped me a ton, then had a solid APSR in mine and OR's opinion. I have contact info for three O-6's that I interviewed with, all of which responded to me in a very timely manner. Cant comment on their location but id be willing to give their names so you could reach out to them. One of which was on the selection board. Shoot me a PM, not sure I should blast their names on public forum haha

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for the quick reply! Before writing here I had started searching LinkedIn and may have found a few EDOs that I will try connecting with and messaging to see if they’re willing to help interview me for my package.

On another topic, a majority of my experience is both as a systems engineer and software engineer where most of my recent civilian experience was as a technical lead for two Navy tech integration programs for NAVAIR where I led each program through the various stages of the system engineering “V”. From your past recruiter experience, would you say this experience, in addition to my wireless, IT, and past coding background in embedded systems is valuable to the EDO community as a whole to where I would be considered competitive? I ask as I read somewhere where many of the applicants would be Ph.D holders and so it was a bit intimidating as while I would like to get a Ph.D someday, most of my academic work has been in the applied space and not so much in the theoretical yet and so I’m seeking wise counsel from any who have gone through the process before so that I can do extra steps to ensure my package is as competitive as possible- thanks again for any assistance you can provide!

Check out the program authorization which outlines the specific fields of work/experience desired in the EDO community.

Also, you do not need a PHD in order to apply/be competitive. In fact, you don't even need a master's degree... just yet. If you have a bachelors and are currently in a MS program (with at least one semester complete) and can complete that within five years, you are eligible (academic-wise) to apply.

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
Thank you all for the helpful info! I was able to get my last interview knocked out yesterday thanks to Tamitty2661 and my recruiter was able to get the REDO OCM to review my undergraduate and masters degree and get any waivers approved as needed for my kit to be ready for submission to the board.

Now for the long wait… how long from the selection board date does the EDO community tend to release results on average?

Tamitty2661

Reserve EDO (1465)
Awesome! Good luck! I just looked, dang you’re not kidding, you do have a long wait being board convenes May 29th. My board convened Feb 13th, my recruiter gave me the good news Feb 24th, can’t comment if that’s the norm for EDO

asukpat23

Where can I find what master degree will be qualified for the EDO requirement? I have a BS in Mechanical and MS in Engineering Management.. Do I need to get another master degree?