• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve CEC

Hair Warrior

Contributor
my biggest fear is to be 65 and look back and realize I lived in one spot and did the same thing for my whole boring life..
A great reason to serve (in my opinion).
I'm completely embarrassed with the large number of millennials floating through life with selfish attitudes and seem to not care about patriotism or the integrity of this country. If I don't try and serve and do my part to convince these spoiled lazy brats...
Not a great reason to serve (in my opinion).

Your service won't convince anyone who isn't at least open to being convinced. Plenty of people have an aversion to the military or plain don't appreciate it. It's more than just certain millennials. The peaceniks during Vietnam, for example. Don't join the Navy in order to change someone else's mind about something. You do it to help the sailor next to you.

Last edited:

cec_boot

@PenguinGal -- are you still out there?

I have been messaging back and forth with @Capt MJ on the Service Academy Forum and they pointed me to this thread.

I'm interested in [read: passionate about / desperate to] becoming a CEC Reserve Officer. I just got my medical approval back, and am waiting to be scheduled for an interview with the CEC Board for DCO selection.
  1. Can you describe the interview process?
  2. What kind of questions do they ask?
  3. Could you point me to any CEC DCO interview prep material/resources?
  4. Could you also provide a rough guesstimate for what my chances would be in getting selected for ODS? Just want to know what to anticipate. @FormerRecruitingGuru -- I saw you give an estimate to another user above; could you provide one for me here as well? Please feel free to knock me down a few notches if I'm too optimistic.

Background:
  • 32-year-old female
  • Master of Engineering in Civil/Environmental from Duke University
  • Current PE license
  • 10+ years work experience in STEM as a manager (lead teams of 8+ engineers/scientists across multiple projects)
  • "Outstanding" PRT score
  • 99 ASVAB, taken in 2022

Thank you so much for helping a hopeful CEC Reserve Officer candidate!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@PenguinGal -- are you still out there?

I have been messaging back and forth with @Capt MJ on the Service Academy Forum and they pointed me to this thread.

I'm interested in [read: passionate about / desperate to] becoming a CEC Reserve Officer. I just got my medical approval back, and am waiting to be scheduled for an interview with the CEC Board for DCO selection.
  1. Can you describe the interview process?
  2. What kind of questions do they ask?
  3. Could you point me to any CEC DCO interview prep material/resources?
  4. Could you also provide a rough guesstimate for what my chances would be in getting selected for ODS? Just want to know what to anticipate. @FormerRecruitingGuru -- I saw you give an estimate to another user above; could you provide one for me here as well? Please feel free to knock me down a few notches if I'm too optimistic.

Background:
  • 32-year-old female
  • Master of Engineering in Civil/Environmental from Duke University
  • Current PE license
  • 10+ years work experience in STEM as a manager (lead teams of 8+ engineers/scientists across multiple projects)
  • "Outstanding" PRT score
  • 99 ASVAB, taken in 2022

Thank you so much for helping a hopeful CEC Reserve Officer candidate!

Most if not all your questions can be fielded by reaching a local Navy Reserve Officer Recruiter (navy.com website under "find a recruiter" is a start). ASVAB and PRT scores have zero weight for DCO boards. For CEC DCO, MS degree along with a PE is a solid "start" to make yourself a viable candidate.

If you want to learn more about the Reserve CEC route... assuming you're on LinkedIn, you can probably find + network with Reserve CEC Officers who can even help mentor you. If you reside in a large metro area (for example: Los Angeles), it's very likely there's a Reserve CEC Officer in your neck of the woods.

cec_boot

Most if not all your questions can be fielded by reaching a local Navy Reserve Officer Recruiter (navy.com website under "find a recruiter" is a start). ASVAB and PRT scores have zero weight for DCO boards. For CEC DCO, MS degree along with a PE is a solid "start" to make yourself a viable candidate.

If you want to learn more about the Reserve CEC route... assuming you're on LinkedIn, you can probably find + network with Reserve CEC Officers who can even help mentor you. If you reside in a large metro area (for example: Los Angeles), it's very likely there's a Reserve CEC Officer in your neck of the woods.
Thanks for the response!

I was having a lot of trouble getting any communication from my recruiter, but I finally got a response today and got my medical approval after 7 months of toiling. But my recruiter has no info or resources for CEC DCO, so I’ll try LinkedIn, like you mentioned. I don’t think I have a Reserve CEC around me, but I’ll try to find something. I reached out to the CEC Officer Communications Manager, and am waiting to hear back.

Just for reference, this was what I posted about the lack of communication from my recruiter, but it’s pretty much been resolved at this point, other than not having any resources for CEC selection (I will try to hunt something down and provide for future progeny, if it turns out to be relevant):
https://www.serviceacademyforums.co...viduals-to-navy-ocs-ods-ama.84876/post-975080

Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for the response!

I was having a lot of trouble getting any communication from my recruiter, but I finally got a response today and got my medical approval after 7 months of toiling. But my recruiter has no info or resources for CEC DCO, so I’ll try LinkedIn, like you mentioned. I don’t think I have a Reserve CEC around me, but I’ll try to find something. I reached out to the CEC Officer Communications Manager, and am waiting to hear back.

Just for reference, this was what I posted about the lack of communication from my recruiter, but it’s pretty much been resolved at this point, other than not having any resources for CEC selection (I will try to hunt something down and provide for future progeny, if it turns out to be relevant):
https://www.serviceacademyforums.co...viduals-to-navy-ocs-ods-ama.84876/post-975080

Thanks!

During the interviews you can ask for CEC-specific information.

Also, as a heads up, it's a bit frowned up contacting the OCM (Officer Community Manager) as a civilian applicant. Similar to the civilian sector, everything communication - wise typically goes through the recruiter unless told otherwise.

number9

Contributor
If you are desperate, there were one or two CEC folks in my ODS class. Let me know if you need me to ask them questions on your behalf.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the response!

Thanks!
Not sure what level of access you have on LinkedIn but if you need some help let me know, I can do a search and send you a few names of those near you so you can message them.

cec_boot

If you are desperate, there were one or two CEC folks in my ODS class. Let me know if you need me to ask them questions on your behalf.
That would be incredible, thank you for offering @number9.

Really the four (4) questions I have are below:
1. Can they provide a brief overview of the interview process timeline/steps?
2. Are technical questions asked during the interview?
3. If technical questions are asked, are they specific to the candidate’s specialty, or are they general civil engineering questions? E.g., I’m environmental/civil-water-resources, which is totally different from civil-structural or civil-transportation. Will I be tested technically on all the specialties that fall under the “civil engineering” umbrella?
4. What resources/materials did they use to prep for the interviews, that were most relevant?

Thank you so much for offering to reach out for me, I’m beyond grateful.

cec_boot

Not sure what level of access you have on LinkedIn but if you need some help let me know, I can do a search and send you a few names of those near you so you can message them.
Thank you so much for offering! I have the basic level on LinkedIn, so I may need some help. I will PM you!