• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve CEC

Jk0020

How's it going guys? I was just curious if anybody know what reserve CEC officers actually do? I've read the descriptions online and have received some vague answers from people. What I mean is do they get directly attached to a Seabese unit with some cool frontline experience or will it be 100 percent desk oriented back in the states with no possibility of deployment?

Thank you

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
How's it going guys? I was just curious if anybody know what reserve CEC officers actually do? I've read the descriptions online and have received some vague answers from people. What I mean is do they get directly attached to a Seabee unit with some cool front line experience or will it be 100 percent desk oriented back in the states with no possibility of deployment?

Thank you

Your patience has paid off, not only do I have the time to reply now but I am also well into my second cup of coffee. Sweet, sweet coffee...

BLUF: You will have plenty of time to do front line/deployable billets.

CEC reserve officers do all sorts of stuff, some of it cooler than others. I haven't read the descriptions online lately nor do I know what vague answers you have been getting. Due to those reasons, I'll walk you through ideal career progression of a CEC DCO as published in our latest newsletter earlier this week.

1. As a new O1 you will be assigned to a Seabee Combat Warfare qualifying unit. Your first priority is really getting your SCW pin. (think the wings of the Seabee community. ) So yes, you WILL be with a Seabee unit.
2. It is recommended that you stay in the NCF community until you are at least an LT. After that there are some neat billets with EUCOM (think doing your 2 weeks in Germany) and PACOM (Hawaii).
3. After 'shore duty' you are expected as a senior O3/O4 to go back to Battalions and do S3/XO tours and eventually work towards CO of a Seabee unit. There are other, non Seabee tours at that level (expeditionary/contingency billets) but you always come back to the Bees. The breakdown of billets, last I saw, was obscenely skewed toward Seabee units--something like 75% of all CEC RC billets are with Seabee units.

That is really a very, VERY brief overview of the progression. In short, you will definitely have the opportunity to mobilize. We recently switched the way we go and now instead of sending an entire Battalion, half a Battalion goes twice as often and attaches to whatever AD Battalion is deployed at the time.

There is always going to be desk work. Remember, in order to be in the field on the front lines you need to plan the trip and most of that gets done at home, on your own time, but with the occasional extra weekend for planning purposes thrown in to the mix.

Seabee units in the reserve are one of the special snowflakes in that the units are actually commissioned units. We are more than just a bunch of people drilling at a NOSC. NMCBs (Naval Mobile Construction Battalions) have only a handful of AD members who are our liaisons/support. CBMUs (Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit) are a more 50-50 split AD-RC. ACBs (Amphibious Construction Battalions) are more of a 25-75 split AD-RC these days. UCT (Underwater Construction Teams) are basically 100% AD. Those are the types of units that are qualifying for the SCW pin. Thus, depending on where you live (some re-orging has been going on lately)you will get assigned to one of 5 NMCBs, 2 CBMUs, or 2 ACBs. As you get higher (and qualified!) you can start going to Regiment and Group level billets that are also Seabee units but non-qualifying.

Also, there are a number of regular IA mobilizations for which you can volunteer (preferably after you qualify). These can take you anywhere from Norfolk, VA to Djibouti and everywhere in between. Seriously, I just saw an advert for one to Naples, Italy. If my husband wasn't going to sea duty and the PenguinBoy was a bit older, I would have jumped on it! That one is likely a LOT of desk work though. ;)

If you have any specific questions, comments, concerns feel free to keep posting here or take it to PM.

Jk0020

Thanks for the reply. I have been in construction my entire life and grew up on a farm and currently have my own excavation company. I graduated with a civil engineering technology degree and after talking to the recruiter, I can get an interview for a DCO position as a reserve CEC officer as soon as I pass my Fundamentals of Engineering exam. ( I was told I need to pass this because my bachelors is not a standard Engineering degree) I've always wanted to serve my country and when I tried earlier in life, I got sidetracked and chose a different path in which I truly regret. I'm currently 33 and don't want to miss my chance to have some adventure and be in the service. The reason I'm trying to find answers is that my recruiter hasn't been able to get me in contact with a CEC reserve officer or answer too many of my more detailed questions. I already passed MEPS and did well on the ASBT test. I really want to do this and I'll do whatever it takes. Some of my concerns were do DCO's in regards to CEC officers do the same job as a regular active duty CEC officers? Are they still currently accepting new DCO's in the CEC field and what are my chances? I really want to deploy and see some action for this is the main reason I want to join. Will I have the ability to pick a unit and are there certain units I can apply for that have a better chances deployment? I have some more questions but don't want to overburden you guys who are patiently taking the time to answer these.

Thank you

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. I have been in construction my entire life and grew up on a farm and currently have my own excavation company. I graduated with a civil engineering technology degree and after talking to the recruiter, I can get an interview for a DCO position as a reserve CEC officer as soon as I pass my Fundamentals of Engineering exam. ( I was told I need to pass this because my bachelors is not a standard Engineering degree) I've always wanted to serve my country and when I tried earlier in life, I got sidetracked and chose a different path in which I truly regret. I'm currently 33 and don't want to miss my chance to have some adventure and be in the service. The reason I'm trying to find answers is that my recruiter hasn't been able to get me in contact with a CEC reserve officer or answer too many of my more detailed questions. I already passed MEPS and did well on the ASBT test. I really want to do this and I'll do whatever it takes. Some of my concerns were do DCO's in regards to CEC officers do the same job as a regular active duty CEC officers? Are they still currently accepting new DCO's in the CEC field and what are my chances? I really want to deploy and see some action for this is the main reason I want to join. Will I have the ability to pick a unit and are there certain units I can apply for that have a better chances deployment? I have some more questions but don't want to overburden you guys who are patiently taking the time to answer these.

Thank you
There is a lot here so I'm going to break it down a bit.
I've always wanted to serve my country and when I tried earlier in life, I got sidetracked and chose a different path in which I truly regret. I'm currently 33 and don't want to miss my chance to have some adventure and be in the service.
You will find every RC CEC officer (and just about everyone in the reserves) has their own story that is some version of this. Many did serve on AD and found their way to the RC. I had a similar story of wanting to serve but getting sidetracked along the way. What matters is that you take the opportunities given to you, whether they be service or not, and make the most of them.

The reason I'm trying to find answers is that my recruiter hasn't been able to get me in contact with a CEC reserve officer or answer too many of my more detailed questions.
Congratulations! You are communicating with a qualified CEC DCO who is capable of answering questions or pointing you in the right direction. I know my limits.

Some of my concerns were do DCO's in regards to CEC officers do the same job as a regular active duty CEC officers?
Yes and no. There are MANY jobs (billets) for AD CEC officers that do not have a RC version. That said, if you are part of a Seabee unit, yes, you will be doing the same job as an AD CEC officer. You won't be doing it full time and there will obviously be differences based on geography and material availability, but yes. Same job just compressed into 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. For the jobs that don't translate, most of those are PW/NAVFAC jobs that are handled by civilians.

Are they still currently accepting new DCO's in the CEC field and what are my chances?
Yes and 42%.

Seriously, they never STOP taking applicants, they might not select as many but they have to keep the flow moving as people do leave after the initial commitment. I know the last board was in May.I believe 7-8 people were selected. I do not know the final total of applicants for it though.

Your chances are as good as anyone else. I can't speak to degree issues (ABET accredited degree?) but they do like advanced education (MS or higher) and the FE/PE or RA for architects. That said, it isn't a no-go. It all depends on the board and what they are wanting and the applicants they have available.

I really want to deploy and see some action for this is the main reason I want to join.
Don't join if this is the sole reason. Just don't. Join because you want to serve, join because you want the education benefits, join because you want the frakking military discount at Home Depot. Just don't join because you want to 'see action'. That isn't what this is about.
As a CEC officer you really are a Seabee. Seabees are NOT offensive forces. Seabees build...and fight. They do a damn good job at both but do NOT and I repeat do NOT take the fight to the bad guys. Seabees are the ones making it possible for the Army, AF, Marines, and Navy to do that.
Now that everything is drawing down, Seabees are far more often than not doing community relation deployments: building hospitals and schools, assisting in infrastructure on existing bases (think Japan). The odds of you seeing combat right now as a CEC officer are pretty low. If that is what you want, join the Marines, Army, anyone else. It is great that you are so amped at the thought of serving your country that you want to jump in to the fight. However, that isn't what the CEC does.

Will I have the ability to pick a unit and are there certain units I can apply for that have a better chances deployment?
Yes and no. Once you are commissioned and eligible, you would apply for billets in a program called JOApply. It lists all available billets that are open to you (based on location, time, rank, etc etc). You fill out a dreamsheet and submit it. At the end of the window, the sheets are reviewed (including comments on applicants by the CO of the unit) and people are placed in billets. As I said before, you will be with a Seabee unit first. NMCBs mobilize, CBMUs, not really. ACBs do but I think they are more rare than NMCB mobs.
There are a number of IA (individual augmentee) billets that come up. This would be you going and deploying to a base somewhere to fill a certain role without going with your entire unit. So yes, plenty of opportunity to 'pick' a mobilization. However, I again caution you that these are likely not going to have you in a combat situation. Obviously anything can happen, but these are going to be more admin type mobilizations to rougher parts of the world. (Bahrain, HOA, etc)

I have some more questions but don't want to overburden you guys who are patiently taking the time to answer these.
Ask away! The worst that would happen is that your post would go unanswered. The only bad question is the one not asked. So feel free to keep posting questions.

Jk0020

Thanks again this is a great start and I really appreciate the time your taking to do so. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind....

1. As a Seabee Officer are you in more or less a construction manger for the unit in which you do inspections, admin and scheduling type stuff?

2. Is there any type of combat school that is a requirement since you will be doing work in hostile places?

3. What is your favorite part of your position?

Thank you

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ill play bad cop here...

To the OP, your chances of getting CEC DCO are slim to none. Average applicants have at least 5 years of extensive civil engineering experience, masters degrees, and PE certs.

Before leaving my first NRD I submitted someone who had all of the above and an MBA. He got selected and was commissioned yesterday.

Jk0020

Lol well that's not good news...experience is one thing I definitely have covered but besides my bachelors degree, I won't have any acedemic achievements untill I pass my FE exam. Administration wise I'm proficient in Excell, Autocad, heavy bid/heavy job (a few other estimating and scheduling programs I've used over the years) and I've been reading plans since I was a teenager. I've been a superintendent/foreman before I went out on my own where I dealt with subcontractors from every walk of life on a daily basis along with site layouts with and without GPS. (New site layouts interpolated from plans with cuts/fills marked out with grade stakes if we don't program the cuts/fills into the GPS program on the machines) Operations wise I currently own two excavtors, two dump trucks and a dozer in which I operate with and without GPS grading systems. I pour concrete walls for foundations, sidewalks, build roads, site clearing, etc.... If a CEC officer position isn't suited for me or you think I don't have a chance do you know of anything else I should look into? Although I do want to deploy I want to stay in a reserve unit primarily because of the work on my dad's farm and the business I own. Thank you

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Lol well that's not good news...experience is one thing I definitely have covered but besides my bachelors degree, I won't have any acedemic achievements untill I pass my FE exam. Administration wise I'm proficient in Excell, Autocad, heavy bid/heavy job (a few other estimating and scheduling programs I've used over the years) and I've been reading plans since I was a teenager. I've been a superintendent/foreman before I went out on my own where I dealt with subcontractors from every walk of life on a daily basis along with site layouts with and without GPS. (New site layouts interpolated from plans with cuts/fills marked out with grade stakes if we don't program the cuts/fills into the GPS program on the machines) Operations wise I currently own two excavtors, two dump trucks and a dozer in which I operate with and without GPS grading systems. I pour concrete walls for foundations, sidewalks, build roads, site clearing, etc.... If a CEC officer position isn't suited for me or you think I don't have a chance do you know of anything else I should look into? Although I do want to deploy I want to stay in a reserve unit primarily because of the work on my dad's farm and the business I own. Thank you

That all interprets to construction experience, not civil engineering experience. Have you led public works/civil engineering projects? The experience you're mentioning pretty much translates to the enlisted side.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Thanks again this is a great start and I really appreciate the time your taking to do so. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind....

1. As a Seabee Officer are you in more or less a construction manger for the unit in which you do inspections, admin and scheduling type stuff?

2. Is there any type of combat school that is a requirement since you will be doing work in hostile places?

3. What is your favorite part of your position?

Thank you

While Rufio plays 'bad cop' (and I agree, your experience definitely sounds like it falls in line more with enlisting as a Seabee), I'll keep answering the questions as best I can so that others who visit the site can see the responses.

1. That is going to depend on your role in the Battalion. Some roles do more of those tasks than others. In general though, you will do more people leading and hands on project supervision will be by your chiefs/project supervisors with you guiding and leading behind the scenes.

2. Not really. As a CEC DCO you go to DCOIC (Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course) with all of the other DCOs in Newport, RI. The next year you go to CECOS Basic Reserve, 2 weeks attached to the CECOS Basic Course (Civil Engineer Corps Officer School). For that class you do a mini-field exercise and go camping for a week. It is NOT combat related unless you count doing 'patrols' in the field behind base housing a combat patrol.... The next recommended course is NCF OPS Basic (Naval Construction Force Operations Basic) where you learn all about project management and the NCF. Good course if you are trying to get your SCW pin as much of what is covered there is part of the PQS. Other than that, nope, no real 'combat' training. You will need to get your M9 and M16 gun qual.

3. My favorite part is the people with whom I serve. There are amazing people out there serving their country in the reserves, both officer and enlisted. Getting to know them, their stories, and working side by side with them is insanely rewarding. Everyone is going to have their own answer to this question. Some might say it is the travel opportunities (I have a CEC DCO friend in Italy right now) others say education (I know some people who are using GI Bill to get MBAs etc). Everyone's favorite is going to be different.

Jk0020

Thanks once again for the info. I've supervised and successfully complete two landfill extensions and a runway addition to an airport for the last company I worked for which would correlate to geotechnical or civil I would say. It sounds however if I want more combat related engineering I should pursue a different path??? Any suggestions?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks once again for the info. I've supervised and successfully complete two landfill extensions and a runway addition to an airport for the last company I worked for which would correlate to geotechnical or civil I would say. It sounds however if I want more combat related engineering I should pursue a different path??? Any suggestions?
- Army enlisted then earn your Sapper tab?
- USAF enlisted in a REDHORSE squadron
- Navy Seabee enlisted?
- Marines?

Not sure quite what you mean by "combat related engineering." In the military, everything is combat related but not necessarily combat. Are you saying you want to kick doors and do some engineering, too?

If you're worried about not being able to lead others, know that NCOs in every branch are expected to be leaders (and doers).

Officers aren't often "in combat" unless they are operators (Navy URL, Army combat arms, Marine ground combat, USAF aviators, PJs, TACs) or something goes very wrong. I'm not saying other officer communities are never in danger - lots of jobs are dangerous - I am saying they're rarely in combat. For that matter, enlisted members aren't often in combat unless they have a job that takes them there, either.

Last edited:

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
If you want to build AND fight, recognize that only one of those is the primary mission. In the Seabees/CEC that primary mission is the building and the fighting is only done to defend. While I have no direct experience with the other forces engineering teams, again, there can be only one primary mission. If you are trained in building things they are not going to send you someplace with the primary mission to shoot the bad guys. If you are trained and sent to shoot the bad guys, they won't go in and ask you to build an airfield or a FOB.

Do you want to build first or do you want to fight first?

If you want to build look in to enlisting as a Seabee or joining the USAF Red Horse/Prime Beef or the Army Engineer Corps. These are the people who are going to focus on building, clearing, and getting stuff done so the fighters can come in and kick booty.

If you want to fight first*, look to joining the USMC infantry/artillery, Army anything, USAF even has special force type positions. Go in to a field where the focus is on fighting. You might get to erect your own tent one day but you certainly won't be operating dozers and cranes.

I am going to repeat something from an earlier post that I like to think translates across not just the CEC but all services at all levels:
Don't join if this [seeing action] is the sole reason. Just don't. Join because you want to serve, join because you want the education benefits, join because you want the frakking military discount at Home Depot. Just don't join because you want to 'see action'. That isn't what this is about.

*Fighting first simply means that you want your primary training to be in offensive and defensive capabilities.

Jk0020

Yeah I pretty much just want to be in leadership position in a construction unit preferably one revolving around excavation, defense building, FOB, etc...something that will get me in the action per say so I can be a part of it all but I don't necessarily mean kicking in doors. I've either been a superintendent or running employees in my own business and I really enjoy teaching, and leading people to get things done. To sum it up I want some excitement and gain new experiences...my biggest fear is to be 65 and look back and realize I lived in one spot and did the same thing for my whole boring life..Absolutely terrifies me....not to mention I'm completely embarrassed with the large number of millennials floating through life with selfish attitudes and seem to not care about patriotism or the integrity of this country. If I don't try and serve and do my part to convince these spoiled lazy brats I believe we will cease to exist as a country before too long. Thanks again for the help