• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescue Swimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physicx

Banned
Do the reserves have rescue swimmers like the Coast Guard.If so how hard is it to get on.I know the physical requirements are tought but it would be a cool job.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Physicx said:
Do the reserves have rescue swimmers like the Coast Guard.If so how hard is it to get on.I know the physical requirements are tought but it would be a cool job.
Dude, you are all over the map, aren't you?

Brett

Physicx

Banned
No I just like asking questions.Right now its not easy to get a slot for a pilot and joining the reserves might help with my chances.Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes the reserves have rescue swimmers that serve in reserve helo squadrons. It might be tough to get one of those jobs though. I'm not sure if the reserves offer aircrew school to new recruits. In addition, all swimmers have other rates or vocational training ie engine mechanic or electronics tech. Most are antisubmarine warfare operators (run the high tech ASW equipment finding subs). Jumping into rough seas to rescue someone is just their "hobby". So, if you were to pursue this, see a naval reserve recruiter and tell him you want a rate that can get you to aircrew school and rescue swimmer qualified. The active duty training alone would be several months before you were released to drill with a reserve squadron. And you would have to live pretty close to a reserve squadron or travel there at you own expense. This isn't somethng you do from the Naval Reserve Center in Tucson or Springfield.

Physicx

Banned
Thanks for the help.Can anybody recommend any reserve jobs that deal with aviation or diving.I was looking at EOD but checking all my options.Thanks

KBayDog

Try this out:
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3G04

"Daybreak: Tucawka. The proud men and women of the Navy are fighting for freedom. But you're in Lubba, Texas, hosing stains off a monument. You're in the Naval Reserve. America's seventeenth line of defense, between the Mississippi National Guard, and the League of Women Voters. After basic training, you'll only have to work one weekend a month. And most of that time, you're drunk off your a$$."

Pilotswimmer

I just left the reserves and jobs on the air side were pretty full. I am not sure how much prior enlisted service in the reserves helped in my app, but it does get you a taste of the military.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Physicx said:
Also do they still use door gunners?

I heard NASA is looking for some door gunners. Does anyone have examples of Letters of Recommendation for Door Gunner School? Post your stats here if you were recently selected for DGS.

I decided not to apply though because the pipeline takes too long. It might interfere with my Air Force Reserve National Guard Rescue Swimmer training.

Status
Not open for further replies.