• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescinding selection for SNA?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
so I will bring this up with my parents
Are you planning on taking your parents to OCS?

If you want to be a officer you're going to have to put your big boy hat on and take responsibility for yourself and your own actions. After all, you're going to be responsible for a hell of a lot more than yourself as an officer.

Are you planning on taking your parents to OCS?

If you want to be a officer you're going to have to put your big boy hat on and take responsibility for yourself and your own actions. After all, you're going to be responsible for a hell of a lot more than yourself as an officer.
First and foremost, I do make my own decisions. It is only right to see what my parents' opinion is on the matter given that I am using their benefits for my schooling. If I were to stop going to school, they would have been wasted when my little brother is also in school and could have used them instead of taking out a loan. Trust me, I understand making my own decisions. I am 25 and have graduated and worked a full-time job before. I have also not included my parents in my decision-making when it was their money being used. I can tell you, asking them for their thoughts is the better outcome.

As an Economics graduate, I am legally obligated to point out the existence of the sunk cost fallacy and how that may apply to your particular situation.
I totally agree...Sunk Cost fallacy does exist. Although, there would be negative externalities created by not at least asking for their thoughts.

number9

Contributor
I totally agree...Sunk Cost fallacy does exist. Although, there would be negative externalities created by not at least asking for their thoughts.
Also a good point! That reminds me of a bad joke interesting story:

Once upon a time I was walking down the street with John Maynard Keynes. As we were walking I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a crisp new $100 bill lying on the ground. I bent down to pick it up, which slowed our walk.

"number9", Keynes said to me, "what are you doing?"

"why, John, can't you see? I'm picking up this $100 bill!" I said to him.

He looked at me is if I was dangerously stupid. "number9", he said, "if there was actually a $100 bill, a rational person would have seen it before you and picked it up already."

Also a good point! That reminds me of a bad joke interesting story:

Once upon a time I was walking down the street with John Maynard Keynes. As we were walking I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, a crisp new $100 bill lying on the ground. I bent down to pick it up, which slowed our walk.

"number9", Keynes said to me, "what are you doing?"

"why, John, can't you see? I'm picking up this $100 bill!" I said to him.

He looked at me is if I was dangerously stupid. "number9", he said, "if there was actually a $100 bill, a rational person would have seen it before you and picked it up already."
I sure do love econ jokes ?

taxi1

pilot
If I were to stop going to school, they would have been wasted when my little brother is also in school and could have used them instead of taking out a loan.
So they're using the GI bill for your 2nd degree while little brother will end up turning tricks to make loan payments...harsh.

number9

Contributor
I sure do love econ jokes ?
That actually reminds me of another joke I stole story I have. A few years ago I was out walking in a forest with none other than Adam Smith! The man from The Wealth of Nations himself. Anyway, we were walking and talking and he noticed a pile of dog poop on the ground. He turned to me and said, "number9, I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of shit.” So I took the $100 and I ate the pile of shit.

We continued walking until we came across - surprisingly - a second pile of shit. This time I turned to Adam and said "I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of shit.” Sure enough, Adam took the $100 to eat a pile of shit.

Walking a little more, I felt a little unease in my stomach. So I stopped and said to him "You know, I gave you $100 to eat shit, then you gave me back the same $100 to eat shit. I can't help but feel like we both just ate shit for nothing."

"That's not true", responded the godfather of economics. "We increased the GDP by $200!"

So they're using the GI bill for your 2nd degree while little brother will end up turning tricks to make loan payments...harsh.
He asked for the loans, coincidentally. My parents have the funds to afford college for him, but he wanted an incentive to do well in school. He has struggled with motivation in school and he made a deal with my parents that he will get a loan, and they will pay off the loan for each class that he passes. Failed classes will leave him with the debt.

That actually reminds me of another joke I stole story I have. A few years ago I was out walking in a forest with none other than Adam Smith! The man from The Wealth of Nations himself. Anyway, we were walking and talking and he noticed a pile of dog poop on the ground. He turned to me and said, "number9, I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of shit.” So I took the $100 and I ate the pile of shit.

We continued walking until we came across - surprisingly - a second pile of shit. This time I turned to Adam and said "I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of shit.” Sure enough, Adam took the $100 to eat a pile of shit.

Walking a little more, I felt a little unease in my stomach. So I stopped and said to him "You know, I gave you $100 to eat shit, then you gave me back the same $100 to eat shit. I can't help but feel like we both just ate shit for nothing."

"That's not true", responded the godfather of economics. "We increased the GDP by $200!"
Iconic joke ??

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
First and foremost, I do make my own decisions. It is only right to see what my parents' opinion is on the matter given that I am using their benefits for my schooling. If I were to stop going to school, they would have been wasted when my little brother is also in school and could have used them instead of taking out a loan. Trust me, I understand making my own decisions. I am 25 and have graduated and worked a full-time job before. I have also not included my parents in my decision-making when it was their money being used. I can tell you, asking them for their thoughts is the better outcome.

"Mom, Dad, I'm going to Navy OCS in September with a Pilot contract. If I am successful there I'll make it to day 1 of flight school. Thanks for all of the support getting me to where I am, but I have to take it from here on my own." That's the conversation. If you can't do that then you probably shouldn't join the military, much less try to become an officer.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I agree. My dad was a Navy jet pilot and has been in the Navy now for nearly 32 years. He is totally supporting me joining, no doubt. It's so much as I would rather talk to them than not. He knows a lot of what this is like seeing as he went through it as well, and I know they would appreciate me at least asking for the advice and giving them my opinion.
You are going to have to get used to disappointing 32-year O6+ jet pilots. It’s what JO aviators do.

Mos

None
I'm normally in the school of thought that naval aviation isn't as special as most of us here think it is, but I agree with most that if it's really something you want to do, that you should commit to it. It is unfortunate that in your case it requires sacrificing a non-trivial investment in something else, but the choice is presented nonetheless.

Don't wait to have the conversation with your parents. Get it over with soon and move on.