• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requirements for SNA

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I'm entering college but I want to be prepared so bare with me. I would like to be a pilot but I have to wear glasses when I drive. I have seen people get PRK I think for flying and get it waivered. I know any major is useful to pilots. Also I had childhood asthma but I spoke with my doctor today and she said I wouldn't have a problem with the MEPS and if so I could pass the waiver test. I would like to fly maybe jets or helicopters so any medical and eye information you could give me for getting accepted into SNA would help alot. I have heard that you have to be a certain height to be considered for SNA. Would 5'8 be tall enough? Thanks for the information in advanced.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Pretty much everything you asked has been covered countless times on this board and elsewhere. Do some searching and you'll find the answers. Your height is fine, I believe they allow PRK surgery now but I don't need it so I haven't really paid attention to that issue or the asthma thing. Search around this site, there's an abundance of knowledge that's been passed down over the years.

nugget81

pilot
First of all, Welcome to Airwarriors! You will find an enormous amount of information here that is both useful and interesting.

Next, you have a huge advantage already in that you are asking questions early, which hopefully means that you will have everything together when you decide to apply (probably a year or two down the road, depending on the route you take).

Last item I will touch here, PRK is a great way to get your vision corrected. I had it done, and even if I had not been accepted into the Navy, I would still consider it the best investment I've ever made. Best of luck!

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Thanks and this is a great site. You said that I could apply in a year or two, I thought that you had to complete your BA or BS before you application? Also if I had a history of childhood asthma does that mean I can't be a pilot? I would love to fly F-18s or helicopters and to me and some people say to fly helicopters its not as strict but whatever info you have on that would be great. Thanks.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks and this is a great site. You said that I could apply in a year or two, I thought that you had to complete your BA or BS before you application? Also if I had a history of childhood asthma does that mean I can't be a pilot? I would love to fly F-18s or helicopters and to me and some people say to fly helicopters its not as strict but whatever info you have on that would be great. Thanks.

Try a search but if you have a history of asthma bud, it's going to be tough for you.

XeroCool

bull schiesse on tom cruise being 5 7. I got a friend that was doing the dunking training when they had cruise and 'goose' do it. In the picture Tom Cruise looks like a little boy compared to everyone else. Im thinking that 5'5 is somewhere around the truth for that kid

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Well looking at info on the major actors in the movie:
Tom Cruise 5'7"
Val Kilmer 6'0"
Anthony Edwards 6'2"
Tom Skerritt 6'0"
Rick Rossovich 6'4"
Tim Robbins 6'4"
Whip Hubley 6'4"
Michael Ironside 5'11"

So, with the exception of Jester and Maverick most of the "aviators" in the movie were above 6', and when you compare that to Tom Cruise's 5'7" that's a big difference.