• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

requesting duty station change flying the same platform

VAmookie

what is the likelyhood of requesting to change duty stations while continuing to fly the same platform? Such as you're stationed west coast and you at some point would rather fly/live east coast for lower cost of living or whatnot. Or if you fly ch-46's in okinawa and want to go to pendleton. Does this ever happen? would you be shooting yourself in the foot professionally. Im talking about after one or two tours not right after you check-in to your squadron. Im just trying to think about where I might want to go and wondering if I would be stuck in CA, NC, or Oki. Obviously if you fly 53D you're probably stuck in Hawaii (shucks) unless requesting a platform change. Thanks

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
after completing your first B-billet, are you not expected to go back to your original squadron?

No expectation at all. At least not formally. If you got "Cobras West" out of flight school (for instance), then after the RAG you'll go to Pendleton. That's it. It ends there. Most guys try to stay on the coast that they started at for the rest of their career, but you're not required to.

Once you get orders somewhere (FAC, EWS, etc) after your fleet squadron, you're on your own. If you have a drug deal in place for you to come back, then it's just a drug deal until the monitor/MAG makes it happen.

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
It is possible to change coasts. I know a few field grades who started on an opposite coast, but it didn't happen until later in their career.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy goes back and forth...for a few years it'll encourage guys to homestead to save money on PCS costs, then it'll encourage guys to change coasts between Fleet tours to mix things up. Is the Corps pretty much the same way, or does it even much care where you go, as long as the billets get filled?

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
I don't think the Marine Corps puts any thought into it from that standpoint (saving PCS cost). I think it is more about what the individual wants compared to how that fits in with the needs of the Marine Corps at the time. If you know the CO of the squadron and are in good standing that always helps. The Marine Corps is small enough that COs are given the ability to pick their teams. This more specifically applies to field grade department head billets like MO, OPSO, and XO billets that are considered LtCol proving grounds. In general, you can move freely about between coasts as much or as little as you want, depending on your flexibility in billets and of course...TIMING, which is everything.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
Specifically to 46's, you'll serve three deployments or 4 years at a MAG until you're up for a B billet.