• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Repercussions of dropping PLC, and eligible to apply for NAVY,ANG while in PLC?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, you're talking about dropping a contract for a good-paying, exciting rewarding job because you might not get exactly what you want. And you expect that the Navy, AF, Canadian Coast Guard, whatever, will see that as a reasonable rationale and pick you up? Because...what, they sense your awesomeness?

All the services are shedding people right now and the job market for young 'uns fresh out of college sucks...they can afford to be picky. I can very easily see a selection board looking at your application, seeing it as "quits if he doesn't get his way" (I don't give a shit if that's not how you see it, and neither will they), and immediately tossing you in the "no" pile. And then you can spend your working days explaining to your fellow baristas how you could have been a Marine NFO, but it wasn't 'first-team' enough for you.

phrogpilot73

Please, dear God and little baby Jesus too, don't go Marine Corps.

What happens when you stab yourself in the eye during night land nav in TBS and have to <horror of horrors> serve in some other capacity in the Marine Corps?

What happens when you get to P-Cola and even though you've passed all kinds of flight physicals before - you get NAMI whammied? Again, <horror of horrors> you have to serve in some other capacity in the Marine Corps.

PSW just told me I was a bit harsh, so I'm editing this... What I'm getting at is that both of the above things happened to friends of mine in TBS. One is a post-battery command (Artillery Officer) now, and loves his life. The other is a LogO who also loves his life. You know why? Because they wanted to be Marines, and they were.

If you don't get the idea that we're very cult-like, it's best you learn now and do some soul searching if you want to be a Marine or not. Because your young Marines won't want to hear about what you were born to do after you attrite.

bronco0623

Getting grilled for the NFO analogy is justified. Dumb way to put it, I get it. Have no room to talk in that respect. However, getting grilled for asking some questions about if my OSO is going to screw me over on what he is promising me he will do? And asking if I can go other routes if he is in fact lying his balls of to me and has no intentions of keeping his word? You guys act like im crazy for doing some research on something before I go ahead and sign 6 years of my life away. Uncle Fester look at the big picture...this is my CAREER im talking about, wouldnt any sensible person look for the most direct path into the career that they want to pursue? Or maybe I should just have your mindset and just take what they give me and be happy with that....because thats pretty much what you said in a nut shell. Dumb. And if I were DQ's medically for pilot I will still serve the military, but if I am medically qualified I am going to become a pilot. Yeah the militarys cutting back, thats why I stay in excellent physical shape and maintain a 3.6, im not working hard so I can just be content with whatever the military gives me, Im working hard so if there is a slot to be given I am going to be the one getting it. So ive gotten all the advice I need, and I have came to the conclusion that my OSO is lying, and that contracts do not get switched. UNLESS, someone on here wants to touch up upon how they are in same position I am, and ended up getting NA. I searched this forum and found ONE dude who had this happen...bad odds.

exNavyOffRec

Getting grilled for the NFO analogy is justified. Dumb way to put it, I get it. Have no room to talk in that respect. However, getting grilled for asking some questions about if my OSO is going to screw me over on what he is promising me he will do? And asking if I can go other routes if he is in fact lying his balls of to me and has no intentions of keeping his word? You guys act like im crazy for doing some research on something before I go ahead and sign 6 years of my life away. Uncle Fester look at the big picture...this is my CAREER im talking about, wouldnt any sensible person look for the most direct path into the career that they want to pursue? Or maybe I should just have your mindset and just take what they give me and be happy with that....because thats pretty much what you said in a nut shell. Dumb. And if I were DQ's medically for pilot I will still serve the military, but if I am medically qualified I am going to become a pilot. Yeah the militarys cutting back, thats why I stay in excellent physical shape and maintain a 3.6, im not working hard so I can just be content with whatever the military gives me, Im working hard so if there is a slot to be given I am going to be the one getting it. So ive gotten all the advice I need, and I have came to the conclusion that my OSO is lying, and that contracts do not get switched. UNLESS, someone on here wants to touch up upon how they are in same position I am, and ended up getting NA. I searched this forum and found ONE dude who had this happen...bad odds.

If you want a guarantee go talk to a USN officer recruiter

phrogpilot73

Uncle Fester look at the big picture...this is my CAREER im talking about, wouldnt any sensible person look for the most direct path into the career that they want to pursue? Or maybe I should just have your mindset and just take what they give me and be happy with that....because thats pretty much what you said in a nut shell. Dumb.
Actually, I think Uncle Fester has a better idea of the big picture than you do. You see, he didn't get his first choice - but he wanted to serve. He was a SWO before he put in for a lat transfer to aviation. So, his advice comes from him LIVING it. And you call him dumb?

You started off on the wrong foot, and have only gone downhill from there. I'm glad you think your OSO is lying to you. I don't want you in the Marine Corps.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
............Or maybe I should just have your mindset and just take what they give me and be happy with that....because thats pretty much what you said in a nut shell.

Yea you should. You OWE it to your country to serve. Many Americans don't feel that way but all Marines do. Stay away from the Marine Corps. Sooner or later you'd end up unhappy and we just can't have that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...You guys act like im crazy for doing some research on something before I go ahead and sign 6 years of my life away. Uncle Fester look at the big picture...this is my CAREER im talking about, wouldnt any sensible person look for the most direct path into the career that they want to pursue? Or maybe I should just have your mindset and just take what they give me and be happy with that....because thats pretty much what you said in a nut shell. Dumb...

Oh, it's your CAREER? Shit, why didn't you say so? No, my man, that's not what I said in a nutshell. What I said was, you've got a chance to secure a good career now, in a shitty job market, and that dumping your contract for the off-chance another service will give you what you want is not a good idea. Pick your reason why it's a bad idea...you've been given several.

This is, I believe, what you were asking in the first place. No one got in your shit because you're doing research. That's fine. But you asked for advice on pursuing a course of action, got told it was a bad idea, and now you're acting pissy because everyone's not cheering you on. If you want a pat on the back and an "I believe in you, you can achieve all your dreams!" speech, go talk to your mom. You're getting solid gouge from current Navy and Marine aviators, including instructors and recruiters.

I'm not telling you to "just take what they give me and be happy with that," either. I'm telling you, take the lemons you may get, make the shit out of some lemonade, find some quality bourbon to go with it, and enjoy, instead of bitching that you were promised orange juice.

jtmedli

pilot
Only reason I would jump ship is if he doesn't follow through with what hes PROMISING me he will do....

And ironically, by jumping ship, you're the one not doing what you're SWEARING you'll do.

For the last time: if it isn't in writing, then you can bet your ass that you aren't getting it. And half the crap that you do get in writing isn't for sure. There' a long time before you even see an A/C with 'MARINES' written on the side. OCS and TBS will take at least a year. Not to mention the part where they decide to send you to IOC and Afghan for a deployment or Language school for 6 months before flight school.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Four parts ice water, one part lemonade, one part bourbon, tsp sugar, mint leaves, and a lime slice.

Just sipped one down. I think I'll make a few more. And who says Naval Aviation doesn't teach you about the finer things in life?

MasterBates

I'm drinking one now at my hotel. I was stuck in non exit row coach for 20+ hours with the longest layover 3 hours or so.

(I have bone to pick with corporate travel office, as soon as I can walk again)

RiseR 25

Uncle Fester and MasterBates,

This was perhaps the most eye opening, enlightening, but also shocking thread I have ever read. I cannot believe the sense of entitlement that college students have these days about job selection in the services. Thank you for posting your perspective on what service to country means to the both of you.

A little background on myself if it adds food for thought for anyone out there. I grew up as an American in a foreign country who's general population despised our way and quality of life and would do anything to rid US of said lifestyle.

After high school I was awarded a scholarship from the AF to get an Aero Eng degree at a "reputable" school in Florida. As per terms of the contract, I left the scholarship (Quit) after the first year to return to my home state for a more public and broader education in Mech Engineering. Looking back on it now, the discipline acquired from just ONE year of AFROTC I might add (which supposedly is not hardcore) has led me to become very successful thus far. I've acquired corporate experience, and am now only one semester away from completing a very tough degree. To give a little perspective, I was a straight A student in high school, and participated in athletics (JV mostly, nothing spectacular). Without said discipline, I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have made it this far, but most importantly learning to become a team player.

But I digress... Talent alone can only get you so far. Bronco I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of a pilot slot. But come on seriously, from what I understand NFO is a good (no OUTSTANDING) gig. Who else can say that they can operate LGBs from the back seat of a Hornet or Prowler...? I know I can't right now...

Oh yeah, I also worked as a barista for a short time period last semester... Not bad but not good either. I need some lemons right now...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know I am an officer first, but lets be real, would Tom Brady be a back up QB or a kicker for the Pats if he could start as QB (the position he dreamed of playing since a kid) for the Jets? Still a football player trying to win a championship, but he's is actually doing what he is best at and what he wants to do, which in turn makes the whole team better.

Difference here is that Tom Brady has proven talent. You don't. A more realistic comparison to the situation you are in, is being a kid hoping to start tackle ball for the first time, and wanting the NFL to hand him a contract on his own terms.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
And ironically, by jumping ship, you're the one not doing what you're SWEARING you'll do.

There is no commitment or "swearing" to go to PLC. It's one of the selling points.

As far as the NFO thing, don't go to OCS with an NFO contract unless you want to be an NFO.