• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Renting An Airplane

VAmookie

Can someone tell me about renting a plane? I see a rate for a 172 for $120-$150. But are there any other costs involved? Am I going to need a checkride before they're rent me a plane? What if I want to rent for the weekend. Do I pay for all that time, or just time the engine is turning? Is there an extra charge/req for carrying a passanger (wife/friend)

Having never rented before, Im curious about all costs involved (non-flying club rentals)

Thanks

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Most rentals are on a hobbes (sp?) clock. It's only running while the engine is running, and runs faster when the engine is running faster. For instance 1 real hour at max blast will be a 1.2ish. I real hour at max endurance would be a .8. Something like that. Also, most rentals are "wet", meaning that fuel cost is included. Nothing extra beyond that, normally.

Crowbar

None
These questions can and will have to be answered by the person/FBO you rent from. Is it safe to assume you aleady have your license?

Most places will charge you an __ hour minimum if you keep the plane overnight or a weekend, and you pay the greater of the minimum or actual flight time. Expect to do at least one flight with one of the instructors before you can rent solo. I've never seen an extra charge for taking somebody with you.

I know those answers are vague at best, but policies vary from place to place.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
for whole-day/multiple day rentals, there is usually a minimum fee (ie- 3 billable hours a day), so no you won't pay for ALL THE HOURS that you have the aircraft. You will pay some minimum amount of hours per day.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Most rentals are on a hobbes (sp?) clock. It's only running while the engine is running, and runs faster when the engine is running faster. For instance 1 real hour at max blast will be a 1.2ish. I real hour at max endurance would be a .8. Something like that. Also, most rentals are "wet", meaning that fuel cost is included. Nothing extra beyond that, normally.
I think you are confusing tach time and hobbs time. I am pretty sure hobbs is actual time, and that is what is recorded in the log book.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think you are confusing tach time and hobbs time. I am pretty sure hobbs is actual time, and that is what is recorded in the log book.

Yep. You are correct. At least according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbs_Meter

It's been about 14 years since I've rented a plane, so if that's the only thing I've forgotten about GA, I'll be pretty happy.
Anyway, the concept of "different times" is important to explain.

In short, you only pay for what you fly, but some minimums apply.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor

Yes, Hobbs is actual engine time, tach time is the one that is based on RPM. You'll most likely be charged for Hobbs time and that is what you will log.

Personally, if I were owning and renting an aircraft, I'd want to charge based on tach time. That would encourage renters to cruise at cruise RPM, rather than near red line so that they could get home faster to save money.

See if you can find another airport or FBO with cheaper rates, even if it means driving a long way to get there. I drove an hour each way to fly from a grass strip with old airplanes, but it was a great experience and I paid $45/hr from '03 to '05, when 172s elsewhere were going for $80 to $100. Flying isn't nearly as fun when it's costing a week's pay to fly in the pattern.

BENDER

pilot
Some places also want renters insurance, depending on the minimums, mine was $290 a year. You will almost always need a check out in type, this will cost for instructor time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Some places also want renters insurance, depending on the minimums, mine was $290 a year. You will almost always need a check out in type, this will cost for instructor and aircraft rental time.

fixed it for ya.

Oh, and +1 on the renter's insurance. One place (a flying club) didn't require it, although if you toasted their plane, you were probably fvcked. The second place I flew required it. Cost me a couple hundred for the year. Obviously, the more ratings/hours you have the less it is. A smart purchase no matter what the FBO requires.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Everywhere I've rented from is also charging fuel surcharges per hour that they usually don't include in their advertised rates. Those can add another $10 per hour.

As for daily minimums, try checking out larger FBOs with lots of planes for rent. The place I used to rent had three 172s and charged 3-hour per day minimums. I currently use Wisconsin Aviation out of MSN, who has over a dozen aircraft available, and they charge only the Hobbs meter no matter how many days you have it. Many times I've taken a 152 for the weekend and only paid the 3-4 hours I put on the Hobbs instead of the 9 hours I would have paid if there were minimums. Or rather, the zero hours I would have paid since with minimums it isn't worth it for me to take a plane for multiple days.

nugget81

pilot
Rental trivia - If you rent a Piper Seminole (light twin) the hobbs meter runs when there is the oil pressure in the right engine. You can save money by keeping the right side shut down until you're done taxiing and shutting it down after clearing the active (most FBO's frown highly upon this). This also reduces the time you'll likely log in your log book since most civilian flying uses the hobbs (block out/block in).

No, I've never done it, but then again no FBO would ever let me rent their twin.

Real advice - check out more than one FBO as they are not created equal. Many will nickle and dime you, whereas others will give you free reign. See what the checkout requirements are (do you need a systems class or a minimum number of hours with that FBO's instructor, etc). $150? You could rent a Cirrus SR-20 for that and it's much nicer and faster than a Cessna 150/152/172. Point in fact - ask questions and read the rental contract.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
$120 / hr for a Cessna 172 is a little steep IMHO - I newer 1990's vintage 172 rents for around $75/hour

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
$75/hr is phenomenal. I shopped around and I felt pretty good paying $115 for a 2003 SP. Older (and I mean OLDER) trainers were $90 wet. I couldn't find a place that was cheaper then that in NJ.