• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rent and shoot in P-cola?

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
Does anyone know of a place to rent and shoot guns in Milton/P-cola? I already know about Jay's Guns III in Baker, but don't they require a membership? I'm just looking to try a few pistols before buying.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
What are you looking at? I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here, myself included, who will help you out.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
Thanks for the offer 420 - I'm actually shopping on behalf of my girlfriend (and she has no idea what she wants, other than some kind of auto). Instead of blasting away with random pistols from AW members, I figured exposure to a rent and shoot environment would be the best way to help her decide...plus it's like being in a candy store for me. ;)

So far I have access to a 1911, Glock 21, and a Beretta 92 for her to try. Maybe an XD or an S&W M&P (both in 9mm) would do the trick too...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You will find that several people find the Beretta 92 to be total shit. Myself included. Buy for her what she wants, but consider the 92 is a sorry excuse for a pistol.

DFSpence

I love my Glock 23. Its a .40cal Compact.

IMG_0426.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You will find that several people find the Beretta 92 to be total shit. Myself included. Buy for her what she wants, but consider the 92 is a sorry excuse for a pistol.

Eh... I like mine... Never had a problem with it and I shoot it fine, although its not my favorite...

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
I don't really have a huge problem with the 92 - I've shot a couple and they seem extremely accurate. However, I also know about the frame and slide cracking issues they had in the late 80's (apparently fixed these days). As I said, the pistol wouldn't be for me, so I didn't necessarily want to rule it out based on bias...I'll save that honor for Taurus.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have a Glock 21. Unless she has huge hands she won't like it. I do, however, have a Glock 26 (subcompact) in 9mm if she wants to try that. Much more manageable.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
That's a good point - I guess I wasn't even considering the relative size of the grips...maybe we'll just hit up the gun show this weekend and have her decide what feels best before proceeding. Thanks for the input!

BigRed389

None
I only have average, maybe slightly smallish hands, and I find the M9/92FS real easy to shoot.

Only problem I have is manipulating the thumb safety with the shooting hand.

Recoil is not bad at all on the gun, trigger takes some getting used to but is otherwise pretty good. I think the main objection is that it's a really damn big gun considering you only pack 15 9mm rounds into it.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
Gun show this weekend, plenty of chances to look at grips and what not. I'm probably spending a solid pay check and buying both a Sig 229 (.40), and Glock 27.

We all seem to have a decent collection of toys. Perhaps we should organize an AW shoot someplace...like the O-club gathering except w/o booze.....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all seem to have a decent collection of toys. Perhaps we should organize an AW shoot someplace...like the O-club gathering except w/o booze.....
An excellent idea. I'm planning on checking out the gun show; I need a spare mag for the PSL I just bought. My consumption of 7.62x54 is about to go back up again. Heck, I need something to do while med down besides studying NATOPS and playing Assassin's Creed. :D

Second the idea of an AW range day.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
Second the idea of an AW range day.

Now what ranges around here don't suck? I've only been to Styx river and frankly I wasn't impressed.
Better question..is there anyplace around here where we can go and just blow up random crap? Like out in the middle of the woods or something?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now what ranges around here don't suck? I've only been to Styx river and frankly I wasn't impressed.
Better question..is there anyplace around here where we can go and just blow up random crap? Like out in the middle of the woods or something?
Pace has a public range on Quinette Road (sp?). $11 a pop and it's halfway decent. Apparently the club in Cantonment requires an NRA membership to join. I'm told they also make you build your own target frame, which is teh ghey.