• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reno Air Races

HuggyU2

None
We saw those guys/gals getting marched around a few times. Kind of funny that they had a couple of Marines posted at the front and the back... seemed like they were there in case one of the recruits got cold feet. :D

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
090919-N-6220J-003 RENO, Nev. (Sept. 19, 2009) <<<Navy Weeks are designed to show Americans the investment they have made in their Navy and increase awareness in cities that do not have a significant Navy presence. >>>

Hell, Reno had a significant Navy presence in 1981...I was living there!
biglaugh.gif

Not to mention the Blues performed during Race Week that year...in the A4F.
patriot.gif

Thirteen years before that, Walt Ohlrich, previously my XO in VA-95 (he made CO after I tx'ed to VA-122) came in third in the Unlimited Class.
patriot.gif

HuggyU2

None
Reno 2019 update...

After "working" the show last year and getting almost no time in Box 102 with my Navy and Marine friends, it was great to go as a spectator and just enjoy. Box 102 rocked!

Friday and Saturday saw spectacular weather and great flying.

U-2 pilot Popeye Thomson raced in the Bi-plane class and finished third in the Gold category. The final bi-plane race was cancelled due to winds on Sunday. Too bad as he wanted to race more.

U-2 pilot Nova Beaubien's plane was out this year getting the engine rebuilt, but he was asked to fly the pace plane... pretty cool!

Didn't see Hacker, but I'm guessing he was working hard like he usually does, and probably got some great photos.

TBirds show looked to have a few new things, and overall I enjoyed it. Glad to see them make needed changes to make it look better and keep jets in front of the crowd more.

STOL drag racing has become a big deal, and it was incorporated in to Reno this year. Unfortunately, Draco crashed departing Reno today and was destroyed. Mike Patey's ok thankfully. The Crash itself is about the 6:18 point in the video. Some very good lessons in "decision making" on Mike's very humble recollection of how he ended up in this situation.

Same weekend in 2020. Be there... or be nowhere.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Draco crashed? Damn, that thing is (was) sweet. Glad to hear he's ok though.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Oof, that was hard to watch. Only watched the crash since I'm at work, but I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The winds were crazy today - 30G45 at NFL in brown out conditions. RNO was diverting airplanes for several hours. Trying to take off in that kind of cross wind was pretty dumb.