• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remembering API - Back In The Day...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It' been a looong time since I went through API... Mid September, 1956 to early January, 1957. Back then, there were three entry sources to the flight training program (API):

Commissioned Officers: Grads of Military Acadamies, OCS, ROTC.

AOC - Aviation Officer Candidates. College grads, API as Cadets, commissioned upon completion of API, then start Pri as ENS/2LT.

NAVCAD - Naval Aviation Cadets: Min. 2-yrs college or equiv., API through successful completion of flight program when commissioned (ENS)/wings awarded concurrently.

MARCAD - Marine Aviation Cadets: Same as NAVCAD except commissioned 2/LT USMC.

Commissioned Officers: Did API separately from Cadets, so I cannot speak for them, or their training curriculum. I know they did not have the restrictions on liberty that Cadets did.

AOCs: In Sept. 1956, Class up (approx. 60 per class), every 2 odd weeks, i.e. classes 43-56; 45-56. Commissioned after successful completion of API... straight to Primary @ Saufley Field, Relocate from Indoc barracks to BOQ.

NAVCADs/MARCADs:Also in Sept., same as above, every 2 even weeks, classes 44-56; 46-56. Upon completion of API, continue as Cadet... also straight to Primary @ Saufley Field. Relocate from Indoc barracks to Saufley Cadet barracks.

NAVCADS & MARCADS did everything together, with all training and uniforms identical until commissioning day (~18-20 mos.). The ONLY visible difference was the Solo Bar, A small chest device - horizontal gold bar (~1.5" x 0.25") w/ a small anchor in the center (NAVCAD), a small eagle/globe/anchor (MARCAD}. This single device was awarded after completing first solo. Another double solo bar device replaced it upon completion of basic training prior to starting advanced.

BusyBee 3rd from R, Preflight day orientation cruise USS MONTEREY
on the Saipan ret.jpgat the beach.jpg

***IT'S LATE TONIGHT - TO BE CONTINUED (PROVIDED 'TAIN'T BOOED OFF THE STAGE)***
BzB

Attachments

• on the Saipan.jpg
    on the Saipan.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Hugh ...don't recall solo or double solo bars at all ...probably discontinued by my class date ...14-61 .
Recent reunion (first) at NAS Pensacola few years ago attached ...

Attachments

• NavCad -MarCad Class 14-61.JPG
    NavCad -MarCad Class 14-61.JPG
    790.9 KB · Views: 57

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hugh ...don't recall solo or double solo bars at all ...probably discontinued by my class date ...14-61 .
They were still in use in mid-'58 when I left NAAS Chase Field for my fleet Squadron VF-94. The RAG (FRS), was still a year from start up. We were one of the last "self-trained" fleet Squadrons. I served two tours as a RAG IP, but was never an RP.
Solo_Bar.gif Solo Double-Bar.gif
Recent reunion (first) at NAS Pensacola few years ago attached ...
Neat reunion photo. Love the Ol' Guy props, the lad in the middle with the duty walker, and looks like you are fondling a cane???
attachment-13.gif
*OBTW, any of you AW SNA/SNFOs who are in or post API... feel free to chime in on your experiences, and marked differences between API today and a half century ago, or any time in between. I'd venture to guess that the basics: leadership, teamwork, physical training, classroom subjects, military intro/drill, etc,. hasn't changed that much... but the equipment you will fly after API, surely has!
BzB

Renegade One

None
Yeah…SNAs got the gooder end of the stick…movement to Saufley BOQ for API (not sure it was actually called that, at the time…maybe "Preflight"?); subsisting out of the "Closed Officers' Mess" in the BOQ (including free wine with dinner…), officer-like living conditions, etc. SNFOs at the same time lived in the P'cola AOCS Battalions where they had been Candidate Officers, ate in the AOCS DF (NO free wine…), still had DIs and noisy crap going on between reveille and taps…you get the idea. But it was OK.

Oh, well, it was what it was, circa 1971. And I believe the "Solo Wings" were still in vogue that summer...

MGoBrew11

pilot
*OBTW, any of you AW SNA/SNFOs who are in or post API... feel free to chime in on your experiences, and marked differences between API today and a half century ago, or any time in between. I'd venture to guess that the basics: leadership, teamwork, physical training, classroom subjects, military intro/drill, etc,. hasn't changed that much... but the equipment you will fly after API, surely has!
BzB

Actually sir, it is pretty much only academics and water survival now. The only physical training is your PFA during the first week! After that, you're on your own. We get all the drilling done at OCS these days. I'm afraid the API of old was probably much more robust than it is today.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Actually sir, it is pretty much only academics and water survival now. The only physical training is your PFA during the first week! After that, you're on your own. We get all the drilling done at OCS these days. I'm afraid the API of old was probably much more robust than it is today.
I call shenanigans. Our class had our first "build-up swim" today to boost endurance before we get to the mile swim in week 3. For those who don't know, we're in flight suits only, and every few minutes we alternate strokes (breast, side, and crawl/freestyle). Ten or fifteen minutes of that and I was pretty winded. How do people possibly crawl the mile in a flight suit?
I mean, technically it's not really PT, not like regimental PT or anything like that, but the build-up swims at least give you a pretty good workout.

You're right about the drilling, though. It's kinda funny seeing the enlisted aircrew marching around from time to time, like we used to do at OCS. Ahhh, memories. Sort of wanna commandeer the platoon and start calling cadence for them. ..........Man, I was at OCS way too long.
"ROADGUARDS, POST!"

MGoBrew11

pilot
haha come on man. I wouldn't really consider build up swims in the API pool as PT. But to each their own I suppose.

I guess to add to the huge difference, sounds like they used to be in barracks...I lived on a golf course and got paid to party for three months before I even had to crack open a book.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, your "boot camp" was OCS, now that you mention that. Today's API is probably much shorter than our ~17 week Preflight, complete with hot & cold running Marine DIs!.
Marine DI.jpg

R1, you're right, it was called just Preflight back then. I had never heard of an NFO, or seen 'Double Anchor' wings, until the '62-'63 time frame when the F-4 was being introduced into the fleet.
BzB

Last edited:

MGoBrew11

pilot
Yes, currently OCS is 12 weeks of "boot camp". API is 6 weeks crash course in aviation. And those pesky swim sessions that burn your eyes out....comes out to about 17 weeks as well put together.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
haha come on man. I wouldn't really consider build up swims in the API pool as PT. But to each their own I suppose.
Yeah, matter of perspective. For someone who's in pretty good shape, 10-15 minutes of flight suit swimming is nbd, but I'm....well, not. But that's what it's there for, I guess.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Yeah, matter of perspective. For someone who's in pretty good shape, 10-15 minutes of flight suit swimming is nbd, but I'm....well, not. But that's what it's there for, I guess.

I didn't really mean it that way...its just not really PT in the "get on your face and push" way.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I assume Ol' Dilbert is still the STAR at the mainside survival pool. That sucker has been around spookin' flight students since WWII. Saved quite a few Dude's asses I reckon, especially our helo 'Bros'. Dem new fangled jets don't ditch sum gud!
Dilbert Dunker.jpg

NAVCAD Bee with his '56 model Belle @ P'Beach
'53 Olds 88.jpg Hugh-Ann PBeach.jpg

NAVCAD Bee with his 'hot', nearly new, black '53 Olds 88 @ P'Beach
'53 Olds 88.jpg
BzB

croakerfish

pilot
I assume Ol' Dilbert is still the STAR at the mainside survival pool. That sucker has been around spookin' flight students since WWII. Saved quite a few Dude's asses I reckon, especially our helo 'Bros'. Dem new fangled jets don't ditch sum gud!
View attachment 12933

BzB

It's just the Helo Dunker now, plus a few random things like the parachute zipline into the pool.