• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reluctant NFO Select; Conflicted and need advise.

jacobsolo

Hey there.

Some context: I had my packet complete by late February. I had only applied for NA. A couple weeks later my recruiter informed me that he heard back from 'Big Navy' - as he calls the board/higher-ups - and they said my vision disqualifies me from NA; my vision is just outside of the 20/40 threshold. This is also after being told the entire process that one only had to be correctable to 20/20 for NA (mistake number 1, not verifying this and taking my recruiter's word for it). To say the least, I was distraught. He reassured me that I still qualify for NFO, will very likely get selected, and can easily transfer to NA later. I argued and said I want to get LASIK/PRK and reapply. He strongly advised against this as it would "push me 9 months out before I can even apply again." In the moment, I felt like NFO was my best bet (mistake 2, I should've taken a few days to think this over before sealing my fate).

About 5 days later I reach out to my recruiter letting him know that I have thought about it and regret going NFO, largely because of reading on here the difficulties in being selected as a NFO to NA transfer; I explain that I want to pursue eye corrective surgery and re-apply for NA. He doesn't try to persuade me otherwise but explains that at this point if I pull my package, which has already been forwarded to the board, then I'm advised to never apply for any naval aviation program again. Obviously at this point my only play is to keep my NFO package so I do so.

Now that I was recently prorec'd Y for NFO, I am conflicted. I've thought it over and my only two options are as follows
1. Continue on as an NFO, make the most of it, love and appreciate the opportunity, and work hard for several years to possibly make it as an NA transfer (if that's still what I want to do). I also know I will likely enjoy it and be good at it.
2. Or, turn down my selection - explaining all of this to the board in hopes they'd let me re-apply - and get LASIK/PRK to possibly be prorec Y for NA in likely 1-2 years time. I'm 24 so I have time to continue applying as many times as needed.

Option 2 is where I am very desperate for advice: it will likely be the deciding factor on if I do this or not. The biggest hurdle would be in whether or not the board would allow me to re-apply after denying a selection. Does anyone here know anything about this or someone that has undergone this?

Assuming I'm able to do so, I would immediately get corrective eye surgery done so I can begin healing. I was worried about the cost but I read on here about writing it off as a tax deduction or something since I can claim it's for a job...? Not sure if anyone can verify this? Also, from what I've read on here, there have been individuals that got prorec Y for NA in the few months following their surgery and even someone who got prorec Y just a few days before getting surgery (can't remember where on here I found that). This contradicts what my recruiter said about having to wait 9 months to re-apply.
If this is the case then I could possibly re-apply within the next couple boards and I'm confident I would get selected - especially since if necessary I could retake the ASTB as my scores are from a blind, first attempt.

Any recommendations or wisdom on the feasibility of option 2 are welcome.
If you made it this far, I appreciate you.

TheClyde

Others will have to answer the important questions, but "writing it off as a tax deduction" doesn't mean it's free, you can't write off a business expense for a job you don't have, and you may be able to write it off as a medical expense but I believe that assumes you are itemizing deductions, which more than likely would not be the most beneficial way to do your taxes.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’d recommend option 2. Some of the former recruiters, paging @FormerRecruitingGuru will have a better answer regarding your chances to pick up pilot if you decline selection as an NFO. However, if your heart is set on being a pilot, do not sign up to be an NFO.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. However, the odds of you being able to transition to pilot after becoming an NFO will be extremely low (approximately 5 NFOs per year get picked up), and that assumes your career timing will even allow it (which most certainly is not a guarantee).

Also, unless your heart is completely set on only becoming a Naval Aviator, I would recommend exploring pilot opportunities with other branches as well. There are a ton of other great options out there, and going Navy is by no means the only way to have an awesome career as a military pilot.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don’t want the job, gracefully decline. Reapply pilot and if you get it great, if not there’s lots of options out there. Reapply Navy, USMC, Air Guard. There’s plenty or ways to be a pilot. becoming an NFO solely in the hops of transition to NA would be at the bottom of the list of things I recommend.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I don’t think your recruiter is intentionally lying to you, but I think you are smart and seem to realize that their job is to get you into the Navy. He/she doesn’t care what designator you get.

My $.02 is to gracefully turn it down as well and reapply for pilot if that is what you want. Read around airwarriors and there are plenty of stories like yours. I’ve heard the whole “your name will be flagged and you’ll never be selected again” but it doesn’t ring true to me because I’ve seen plenty of people reapply and get what they want.

I was in similar shoes to you back in 2011. My recruiter told me my vision was so bad I was ineligible(!) to even get surgery and be a pilot. I believed him like an idiot, applied for NFO and thank goodness was not selected (very few selections for a few cycles in that era).

Did a little more research on my own, realized my recruiter had no idea what he was talking about, told him where to find the medical requirements for pilot and that I was eligible, and then got the surgery and later went to OCS. Best $4000 I ever spent and I only made $45,000/yr at the time. I understand the sticker shock. Seriously though, don’t go with the cheapest guy. Go with the best doctor, it’s your eyes. Not going to lie, it was a long road. But I’m glad I did it.

EDIT: Also, that whole 9 month thing seems like a giant stretch. Do some research but the Navy has only relaxed LASIK/PRK standards since I’ve been in.. When I applied over 10 years ago it was a 6 month wait period. So 9 seems a little “off” to me.

johnboyA6E

None
I was in your shoes, albeit a LONG time ago ('89)

I wanted NA, got selected for NFO with orders to AOCS. In my case, my vision was great. I had 20/15 in one eye and 20/10 in the other. Recruiter told me "due to numbers this month, you got NFO, needs of the Navy", BUT he said "don't worry, with your eyesight you can EASILY switch to NA once you get to Penscola and through NAMI" My mistake believing him, it is NEVER EASY to switch from NA to NFO, even before primary and especially after winging/sea tour.
Do some people do it? Of course, but there are very few spots, and it will take about 6 years before you can even apply for a transition (wait time, NIFE, wait time, primary, int, advanced, RAG, fleet tour)

In my case, I became an NFO, got the aircraft that I wanted, loved every minute of it and had no regrets. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't sit in the jet every day and wish I were in the left seat - especially seeing some of the knuckleheads that were there.

If you want to become a Naval Officer and fly, take the offer you have and make the best of it.

But if you're truly dead seat on being a pilot, 9 mos is not that long to wait. No guarantees you'll get a NA spot, but you might have regret if you don't give it your best shot.

Also concur with above - don't go cheap on LASIK, find the best doc you can, DO NOT shop docs based on price. it seems like a lot of $ now, but in the long run it won't matter, your eyes will

best of luck!

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Others will have to answer the important questions, but "writing it off as a tax deduction" doesn't mean it's free, you can't write off a business expense for a job you don't have, and you may be able to write it off as a medical expense but I believe that assumes you are itemizing deductions, which more than likely would not be the most beneficial way to do your taxes.

BB Poison

Contributor
whole lotta words

My $0.02 as someone who got selected for SNFO, declined, and then was selected for SNA, it’s possible. Search around the forum and you’ll find folks who did the same.

Currently you have a golden ticket that guarantees you an opportunity to earn a commission as an officer in the Navy, and a NFO at that which is an awesome job. If you think you’ll be happy as a NFO, 100% go for it. If not, decline it, get the surgery, and reapply once you get the waiver. Explain your situation in your professional statement and you should be good.

Creeping_Geep

As an IWC applicant I asked what would happen if I declined after being selected for a designator I *didn't* apply for, and I was advised that turning down any ProRec-Y would mean I would never commission through OCS. However, it seems based on things other commenters have said that isn't the case. Just do your research, make a decision, and don't be wrong.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
There's been some good perspectives offered by the 13XX mob, so no need to repeat that drum.

With that said, we're only going off your side of the story here and your recruiter isn't entirely wrong. It is *possible* to transition from NFO to Pilot? Sure, however like what others have said, it can be difficult and really just a handful of candidates get in.

Looking at your post history, it appears you were initially excited to be going to OCS as an NFO, but now you're not?

You need to do some research and soul searching to figure out what exactly do you want to do. Do you want to serve/be an officer + be an NFO or do you want to be a pilot (along with being an officers)? There is no wrong answer to this, this is your life, not ours. If you decline NFO, yes it can hurt your chances down the road, but like what others have said, it has happened and they were offered SNA/OCS as a previous NFO decline.

LASIK isn't 100% guaranteed, i.e. there can be some risks associated with it.

Look at the aviation threads, recent SNA selects are having to wait over a year to attend OCS. I don't think that will change for a while. Add in the LASIK surgery, applying AGAIN, and waiting to class up, assuming you're selected, you might not be shipping out until FY-25 or even FY-26.

exNavyOffRec

If you don't want to be an NFO don't take the spot, you cannot count on converting to pilot later. If you aren't happy no one around you will be happy, and this is going to be about 8 years of your life.

There is a path to SNA after declining SNFO, I have had a few do it but they had a few things in common, first was an explanation on why they declined initially, and second was a PFAR of 8 or greater.

If you decline to get Lasik you need to plan on retaking the ASTB and you need to get a much better score.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
If you don't want to be an NFO don't take the spot, you cannot count on converting to pilot later. If you aren't happy no one around you will be happy, and this is going to be about 8 years of your life.

There is a path to SNA after declining SNFO, I have had a few do it but they had a few things in common, first was an explanation on why they declined initially, and second was a PFAR of 8 or greater.

If you decline to get Lasik you need to plan on retaking the ASTB and you need to get a much better score.
I thought you can only take the ASTB 3 times in your lifetime?