• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Relevant Selection Criteria (Scores+PRT)

Spencer

I'm a recent non-selectee of follow-on orders from OCS to BUD/S (Navy SEAL training). When I started working that package over a year ago, I wanted to apply to flight school as well, but my recruiter said it was closed up for a while.

Now he's urging me to retake the ASTB in the next few weeks to get a flight package in for the end of July. My first time taking the ASTB I scored 5/4/5/56 having not studied at all for the spatial app and nautical/aviation section. I didn't need high scores on those sections to get to SEAL training.

My O-programs recruiter said the Navy didn't hit their marks for pilots this year, and they're looking for qualified candidates who can go to OCS ASAP. Has anyone heard about this?

Also, my real question is, how much does your PRT score play into the strength of your package? My SEAL PRT scores were:

1.5 mi= 8:29 boots and pants
Push-Ups= 80 in 2 min
Sit-Ups= 90 in 2 min
Pull-Ups= 13
500 yd swim= 8:28

I noticed a lot of guys on here with scores like 7/7/7/52 who were worried that there physical shortcomings would keep them from getting selected. So I'm just trying to get the picture here.

I've got a short amount of time to get prepared to retake the ASTB and get the picture for how this works.

Any insight is appreciated!

NavyChaz

Hey, Spencer. Although I've gone through the appl. process already, I'm not sure if what you heard is accurate. But there is a recruiter out of San Diego who has posted to some forums here. You might want to write to him directly here and ask the questions. From the answers he's given for other stuff he's pretty thorough and helpful. His name here is: sandiegohoov - look him up under "members" and send him a private email or find one of his other threads and reply to it. He obviously knows all this stuff and I've learned that it's best to get it from the real source instead of listening to all the rumors. Not sure if this helps, but it's probably worth doing.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Hey Spencer, if being a SEAL is what you really want keep working at it. Heres the stat (range) of guys that have been selected for Specwar OCS from usnavyocs.com:

Run: In the 7's
swim: In the 7's
Pull ups: >20
Sit ups: >110
Push ups: >100

It seems like you aren't that far off, so if being a SEAL is what you really want give it another shot. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Spencer

Well, I do intend to give it another shot. But that board doesn't meet until January 07. Since I wanted equally as much to be a pilot and now might have the opportunity, I want to strike while the iron is hot.

That might mean that I get selected in the next few boards (August maybe?) for flight school. In that case, I won't be reapplying for SPECWAR. The opportunity to be a Navy pilot is too great to pass up.

The reality of OCS SPECWAR PRT scores is far from what they post. Almost any time you see someone with 20 pull-ups, 110 sit-ups, and 100 push-ups, then their run and swim times are weak (often 9:30-10:30). And the reverse of that is my case. I'm not sure why I wasn't selected, but I think they do select from guys that have applied more than once. It shows they are truly determined.

But again, since I initially wanted to apply for SEALs and Flight School, this is a great opportunity for me. Any idea as to how important PRT scores are to a flight package? In other words, would great PRT scores help boost a guy with say a 6/6/6/60 over a guy with a 7/7/7/53 that was barely making the physical cut? I'm always trying to work with my strengths...

Thanks, guys, for your input.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I think you are getting some bad gouge about SEAL PFT scores to be competitive my friend... Regardless, good luck!

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
From here:

Footnote 8.
(8) Special Warfare/Special Operations Physical Fitness Screen consists of: swim 50 meters with mask, fins and snorkel to show waterborne confidence with no time limit; 500yd swim using breast/side stroke in 12.5 min (competitive time of < 9 min); 10 min rest; minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 min (competitive > 100); 2 min rest; minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 min (competitive > 100); 2 min rest; minimum of 6 pull-ups with no time limit (competitive > 20); 10 min rest; and 1.5 mile run in boots and long pants in 11.5 min (competitive time < 9 min).

Now this is the Navy, so who knows, but your scores look real good Spencer. Hooyah! :)

Spencer

thanks, one odd guy, for pointing that out.

I think this is funny though. Here I am, a recent SEAL Officer Candidate, applying to flight training, and everyone is harping on SEAL standards, etc. That's what I've been doing for the past 15 months (training, reading, researching, etc.). In other words, there isn't much I don't know about SEALs and the pipeline to getting there. But now I'm applying to flight training, and that's why I am on here.

By the way, if anyone is interested in real SEAL info, visit www.thesealquest.com. It is the "airwarriors for SEAL wannabes."

But my question still stands as to how much strength strong PRT scores add to a flight package. I had 15 months to learn stuff about SEALs before I submitted my package.

Right now I have about 3.5 weeks to learn about the flight school pipeline via OCS, what it takes to get there, and what makes a strong package.

Can anyone put this in a nutshell for me?

I'd pay you, but I'm broke because I spend all my time training and studying now.

Thanks all.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I appologize for getting this thread off to harping on your SEAL PFT. I only brought it up because if SEALs are #1 in your eyes than I would strive for that goal. No one is going to be satisfied in a community that they feel like they "settled" for. I believe you are not in this category and so I appologize.

I believe your PRT scores could only be a positive. One more check in the positives section. The more positives you have the better. I do know that aviation looks alot more at GPA and ASTB scores than SEALs. You haven't said what your GPA is. If you did, you might get some more help in determining what kind of position you're in.

jpm269

pilot
xmid, I don't believe that aviation looks a lot more at GPA than SEALS. If anything, they look at it equally or even more. They have some of the smartest guys with a great deal of them holding a masters and this is true for both officer and enlisted. Spencer, as for your question, I would start studying. I didn't go through OCS, but I wouldn't begin the ASTB studying process with the thought that my PRT scores are going to carry you through. You have 3.5 weeks and the clocks ticking. Study hard and get out as much as you can. Good Luck!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
jpm269, Sir, I in no way meant to say that Specwar does not value education and intelligence. I meant that for Specwar the real determining factor for an OCS slot is physical. There aren't a lot of people out there that can throw down the kind of numbers they are looking for. So being a PT stud is necessary. SNA's on the other hand need to be in shape, but as you can tell from some of the posted stats they don't need to be in the same physical condition. Therefore, the weight in the decision making process will be shifted more to other things like GPA.

jpm269

pilot
xmid, I understand what you are saying now. I was under the impression that you were saying that Aviation looks more at GPA than Specwar. You're right, I believe for Aviation, GPA holds more weight than the PRT. As far as a comparison between the two communities, you cant really compare them for the simple fact that they are two different communities.

saltpeter

You need to improve your 5/4/5. Study hard, i.e. there is no need to increase your PT scores. Keep working on the comedy routine, pilots love to laugh. I read your bio.