• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Regular Commision

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobcheese

I am prior enlisted and am currently in ROTC finishing my degree(STA-21). Our XO just told us that there was a message that states that all Academy and NROTC scholarsip graduates will begin receiving regular commisions vs reserve commissions in the US Navy. Has anyone else heard this? If so where can I find this message?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hadn't heard of this. Can you ask your XO for either the DTG (Date-Time-Group) of the message or the ALLNAV or NAVADMIN number. That would be pretty big news, but I haven't heard it yet. The Regular Commissions went away in OCT 1996.
ea6bflyr

boobcheese said:
I am prior enlisted and am currently in ROTC finishing my degree(STA-21). Our XO just told us that there was a message that states that all Academy and NROTC scholarsip graduates will begin receiving regular commisions vs reserve commissions in the US Navy. Has anyone else heard this? If so where can I find this message?

boobcheese

Evidently this doesn't come from regular message traffic as I had scoured NAVADMIN's and ALNAV's prior to making this post. But when the XO put it out this morning he spoke as though it was the gospel and not just mere gouge. As anyone who has been in the Navy for more than about a week I have learned that if it sounds like a good deal it is probabaly not true regardless of the source. I was hoping that maybe someone could provide me with either confirmation of his claims or be able to debunk them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they do do that, they'd better also augment all us JO's who haven't had a chance to do so yet. FYI, a regular commission means they can't separate you without severance pay. So in today's overmanned officer corps that seems kinda fishy, but then again I'm just a lowly Ensign.

boobcheese

I realize what a regular commision is and to a certain extent the implications of what a change like this would mean(i.e. I realize that this would be a good deal and that is why I am hesitant to believe it). But you are right if they were to make this change then you would think that current officers on active reserve would be offered regular commisions as well. As I stated in the original post my XO said that this change would only affect Academy and ROTC scholarsip graduates and would not apply to accessions from OCS or even the ROTC college program guys. So possibly only those on active reserve that were comissioned accordingly will be offered regular commisions. However this is all just speculation and conjecture unless/untill we see it in writing. It is only the fact that this came from my XO and the fact that he even seems to have details about it that makes me want to believe that there may be some truth to it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bounce him an email and ask him if he can divulge his source. I would really be interested where he got it from or if it is just a misunderstanding.
ea6bflyr

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Is there really going to be a drawdown?

Question -- Is there really a feeling or consensus that a drawdown is coming to the point where officers are involuntarily separated (beyond flight school washouts, etc.)??? I haven't heard any such thing, but I am on independent duty right now so somewhat out of the loop. If a drawdown is looming, it's unlikely they would institute this unconfirmed switch to regular commissions for scholarship mids (which, incidentally, is something the Navy flip-flops back and forth on every few years).

If a drawdown isn't coming, then this whole USN vs. USNR fuss is really meaningless. In my experience, anyone (URL) who wants a career beyond their minimum service requirement can augment. It's basically a rubber-stamp board for any URL officer who takes an hour to put a package together.

nittany03 said:
If they do do that, they'd better also augment all us JO's who haven't had a chance to do so yet.
What do you mean "they'd better"?? Or else what? "They" aren't compelled to do any such thing. You are well advised not to hold your breath waiting for "they" to augment you unless you submit a package like everyone else.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grandmaster235 said:
You are well advised not to hold your breath waiting for "they" to augment you unless you submit a package like everyone else.

Noted. Sorry, didn't mean to come off like a prima donna. You're right, "They" don't owe me a darn thing.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In DEC 03, the navy booted 418 non-warfare qualified officers and their goal was an overall reduction by a total of 2000.

(Story from Navy Times on NavyOCS.com - http://usnavyocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=92)

With the SWO community being overmanned and the Navy kicking guys out for DOR'ing from Flight School, I would strongly doubt that the Navy will go back to USN commissions vice USNR.

Last May the NROTC program offered over 150 graduates the 'easy' way out with IRR instead of active duty.....not too many takers though. The Navy OCS numbers have been drastically reduced as well. This all points to the statement of BOOBCHEESE's XO just not making any sense. Ah, the rumor mill hard at work.
ea6bflyr

Grandmaster235 said:
Question -- Is there really a feeling or consensus that a drawdown is coming to the point where officers are involuntarily separated (beyond flight school washouts, etc.)??? I haven't heard any such thing, but I am on independent duty right now so somewhat out of the loop. If a drawdown is looming, it's unlikely they would institute this unconfirmed switch to regular commissions for scholarship mids (which, incidentally, is something the Navy flip-flops back and forth on every few years).

If a drawdown isn't coming, then this whole USN vs. USNR fuss is really meaningless. In my experience, anyone (URL) who wants a career beyond their minimum service requirement can augment. It's basically a rubber-stamp board for any URL officer who takes an hour to put a package together.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Grandmaster235 said:
In my experience, anyone (URL) who wants a career beyond their minimum service requirement can augment. It's basically a rubber-stamp board for any URL officer who takes an hour to put a package together.

Ok, I'm a little confused here. I understand that when we get our commision, we are comssioned USNR. So is this for our entire first four years of service (or however long our comitment is)? If so and we decide we want to stay in beyond our comitment, how do we go about applying for this and then do we change to USN (is this the whole augment thing?). Also, besides the fact that it is easier to involuntary seperate us, is there any other differences when we are commisioned as USNR as opposed to USN (eg: are there any differences in medical benifits, pay, do we have the same ID card, etc?).

Thanks for all your help!

EngineGirl

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Yes, augment means going from USNR to USN. At 4 years you are eligible to apply to augment, but if you decide to stay in you do not necessarily have to augment. As I understand it, if you want much chance of promotion beyond LT, you need to augment. Otherwise, no difference in terms of pay, etc. ID card is the same.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
EngineGirl said:
Ok, I'm a little confused here. I understand that when we get our commision, we are comssioned USNR. So is this for our entire first four years of service (or however long our comitment is)? If so and we decide we want to stay in beyond our comitment, how do we go about applying for this and then do we change to USN (is this the whole augment thing?). Also, besides the fact that it is easier to involuntary seperate us, is there any other differences when we are commisioned as USNR as opposed to USN (eg: are there any differences in medical benifits, pay, do we have the same ID card, etc?).

Thanks for all your help!

EngineGirl

No diff in pay and all that stuff. You're right that augmenting is going to USNR to USN...there isn't a whole lot of difference. The application process is basically submitting a package in letter format in accordance with some MILPERSMAN and then the board convenes. I haven't heard of anyone sweating this board out.

Enjoy:
www.amdo.org/MILPERSMAN 1131-020 - Appt into REGNAV.pdf
http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers8/pers-80/pers-801/pers-801g/pers-801g TRANS.htm

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
EngineGirl said:
...how do we go about applying for this and then do we change to USN (is this the whole augment thing?).
When you get to your fleet command, watch for a NAVADMIN message with a subject line such as "Transfer/Redesignation Board" or some such thing. It comes out annually (or perhaps semi-annually) and details what you need to do. The info that Thisguy put out is good too. I can't reiterate enough that this is the single very last thing anyone should worry about if they are pre-OCS, pre-commission, or in flight school. Get to the fleet first.
nittany03 said:
Noted. Sorry, didn't mean to come off like a prima donna.
No apology necessary. I'm just the cranky old guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.