• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Regional Airline Pilot to Military

Yazzoo

So I know this is kind of an odd topic, but it's one that's been on my mind a lot recently.

I've always wanted to be a military pilot (specifically in the Navy). I just upgraded to captain at a regional, and I am still under the maximum age cutoff to become a Naval Aviator. Watching my good friend get his wings of gold last weekend reminded me of how much I wanted to be a fighter pilot but never really pursued that dream.

My question is, is it completely unheard of and crazy for a pilot to leave a captain seat at a regional to fly for the military? I understand that it's a highly personal decision and one only I can ultimately make, but I'm looking for some advice here.

I'm currently making decent pay and could end up at a Major in the next 3 years, leaving me with 35+ years on the seniority list.

It's a tough decision because on one hand I've always wanted to serve my country as a military pilot (and I can only do it once, before I get too old) but on the other hand I have a very good "in" right now for a long career at the majors with plenty of seniority.

Current and past military pilots, what say you?

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
You're obviously the only one that can really answer this. But, the facts are: there is a maximum age for military accession and there is absolutely no guarantee you'll be a fighter pilot. There's not even a guarantee you'll make it through flight school. Would you be ok with not being a fighter pilot? Would you be ok with not even being an aviator?

In other words--how bad do you want it?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So I know this is kind of an odd topic, but it's one that's been on my mind a lot recently.

I've always wanted to be a military pilot (specifically in the Navy). I just upgraded to captain at a regional, and I am still under the maximum age cutoff to become a Naval Aviator. Watching my good friend get his wings of gold last weekend reminded me of how much I wanted to be a fighter pilot but never really pursued that dream.

My question is, is it completely unheard of and crazy for a pilot to leave a captain seat at a regional to fly for the military? I understand that it's a highly personal decision and one only I can ultimately make, but I'm looking for some advice here.

I'm currently making decent pay and could end up at a Major in the next 3 years, leaving me with 35+ years on the seniority list.

It's a tough decision because on one hand I've always wanted to serve my country as a military pilot (and I can only do it once, before I get too old) but on the other hand I have a very good "in" right now for a long career at the majors with plenty of seniority.

If becoming a naval aviator is a lifelong dream, you only live once. If getting hired at a major is your priority, it probably makes more sense to stay where you are. Flying for the navy will be about a ten year commitment from commissioning to the end of your obligated service after wings.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say: I had a close friend & Squadronmate who had a 20+ year career as a jet Attack Pilot (A-4s/A-7s), including 6 1/2 years as a POW in Hanoi. After USN retirement, he was hired by United, and ultimately retired UAL as a Captain. So anything is possible!;)

To peruse his amazing story... google: CAPT John M. "Mike" McGrath.:)

Back in the day, there were Fighter Pilots (VF = F-8s/F-4s/F-14s), and Attack Pilots (VA = A-4s/A-7s). Seeing the VA dudes having so much fun blowing things up with bombs, rockets, missiles, & cannons; the VF guys whined to 'Big Navy' to the extent that they were allowed to merge with the elite VA dudes starting some 30 years ago. Given a new toy, the F/A-18 Hornet. Thus was born today's Strike Fighter community (VF/A)!:D

*My former Squadron the VF/A-146 "Blue Diamonds" today
VFA-146-3.jpg
BzB

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
As others have mentioned, you have to weight the risks vs reward. You'll be a commissioned Naval Officer first, then you might get to be a Naval Aviator. And over half of Naval Aviators fly helos (nothing wrong with that), and of the the Fixed Wing types plenty don't fly jets.

You might wash out, get NPQ'ed, etc and still have a considerable commitment to the Navy. You can't just walk in and say "hey, I'd like to quit and go back to flying for the airlines". And if you are a helo guy you'll need to maintain your FW currency on your own if you are looking to go back to the airlines post Navy...

Personally, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't do it... but of course I have the luxury of having scratched the itch of flying around in fast planes and blowing shit up.... even then, pretty much all of my pilot buddies who did the same thing got out and either went to business school or went to the airlines...

Air National Guard would be the perfect ticket IMO. Several of my friends transitioned from F-14/F-18 to ANG flying F15/F16s and it seems to be a good balance for them - some do it full time, some are part time with airlines as well.

But in the end, it's up to you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say go for it if you're still in the age limits. The airlines will always be there and you can always go back, but you only have a few years where you can be a military aviator. Union seniority is a small price to pay, seems to me, considering even if you do your minimum service you'll leave with a lot more hours, skills and professional contacts (the majors are lousy with former military pilots, as I'm sure you know); but then, I'm not an airline guy, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I would add the caveat that if you should go that route, don't walk in thinking of yourself as a pilot who's just going to get a "Navy fam". Un-teaching habits of experienced pilots is a notorious headache at the VTs. Hell, I had a guy who came from the regionals and flunked out of ground school. Dude just thought studying was beneath him, I guess.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I've known five regional airline pilots. Two fly Hornets, one flies E-2s, and two attrited. It's not a given that you'll just show up and do well enough to become a fighter pilot, or any kind of pilot for that matter.

The best are the ERAU guys. You never know what kinda guy you're gonna get from that crowd.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Why didn't you try when you first graduated college? Your reasons then might still be valid. The way I see it, the time when it is most compelling to join the military as an officer are right out of college. That doesn't make it wrong to wait, there are just more reasons not to the longer you wait. Look inside yourself and ask if the reasons why you didn't back then still exist.

If I were you, I would not jump ship and try the Navy route. For one, I wish I was your shoes... but that's because I am bitter. Also, I am a Marine, so things are a little different but I fly the same airplane and do the same missions as guys in the Navy. For a logical analysis, lets say you start now and you are 26. By the time your 10 year commitment is up, you will be 36. If you get out after 10 years, you are leaving a LOT of money on the table by not sticking it out until retirement. At 10 years, you will essentially get nothing besides what you saved on your own. If you decide to stay in, now you are getting out at 46, and applying for the same job you claim you could have in 3 years. Personally, I think being 46 and interviewing for the same job I was about to get as a 29 year old is depressing (though you should be way more competitive). Furthermore, maybe there is a big recession and the airlines aren't hiring when you decide to get out.

If you do join the military, you will learn that "timing is everything." From what I hear, right now is the best time to get a job at a Major in recent memory. Take advantage of it.