• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

References vs Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo14

Did anyone need individuals close to them write on their behalf as a letter of recommendation at all in your application process or did applicants just give their recruiter a list of former employer as references. My recruiter isn't much help.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I had a former teacher(band intructor I had for 7 years), A former employer, a distant family member(something like 2nd cousin by marriage) (more like a family friend) who was a Navy cmdr, and finally a man I know that is a recruiter for the guard. My recruiter said we needed about 3 letters of reference. I had trouble getting info from my recruiter too. He hadnt been doing it long and I was the first person for him to get in. Post any more questions you have. Somebody will have the answer or know where to find it.

ander37

K-rock
I just submitted my packet for SNA-BDCP(2006), and I had 7 letters of recommendation. I had my old employer, one of my Comp Science professors, my golf coach(I'm on the University team), a retired Navy pilot, a retired Navy NFO, a school principal, and an active duty P-3 NFO. The school principal was just for a character witness and to say I wasn't a menace to the community :->, the others were for obvious reasons. My recruiter told me, the more the merrier, but don't get carried away with 10 or so. I think even my 7 was a lot, but whatever helps me get in right!? Anyways, I hope that helped...I'm kinda new to the forum still...Wish me luck in selections next month...

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Here is the text of a message I posted recently. It is under commissioning programs--> OCS--> references. There's a bunch of other useful info there. I believe what you want are recommendations, regardless of what name we were using in the other discussion.

"These are great ideas. Putting together some info to help the writer out is definitely a plus. The number one thing I've learned from my original commissioning and my redes. package is to make sure there is substance to the letter. They don't want to read about how nice Timmy is. They want to know what specific things Timmy has done. If someone does want to mention qualitative things, make sure they put it into context. How has that personal characteristic allowed you to succeed? This seems very difficult when you are fresh out of school, but there will be things to point to. What makes you different/better than the rest of the pack? These are some of the reasons why they talk about a "well rounded" individual. Just about anyone can have a good GPA, but what are you DOING with your abilities. IMHO, you can sacrifice a few tenths of a point on GPA if you can show contributions in another area such as volunteering, undergrad research, clubs, etc. Good luck, all.

LTJG G."

bart27

I had one prof, two employers, and two family friends. Whether they did the trick, I dont know, but I was accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.