• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reenlistment, MEPS, and Paperwork

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
According to him, my recruiter has never dealt with a case like mine before, so input from anybody with firsthand experience or recruiter/staff experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, it's labor day, so I can't really ask him right now. Also, I'm putting this on here so I can save him some research and speed up this process. First, some (probably too much) background information:

I was FINSEL'd and attended OCS class 04-19 last September, but was TNPQ'd for a hernia I got during Indoc. Super lame. If I had been SWO, Supply, or Intel, I might've been kept on, but as an aviation designator this was a ticket home. Different members of OTCN were convinced I'd be right back in a later FY19 class. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to have hope in that idea. I've since made my peace with the realities of the situation, but I'd sure like to go back as soon as possible.

I went to MEPS the first time in December 2016, with a pair of follow-ups in March 2017. I am the first person among my family and friends to pursue a military career, or have anything to do with the military at all. Combine this with the fact that the recruiter I had at that time was nearly impossible to get a hold of, and assembling my paperwork for MEPS was... confusing. In my naivety and lack of guidance, I did the stupid non-economical thing: I said "yes" not only to things that could probably be found in a background check, but I also said "yes" to past medical items that in hindsight could not have possibly been proven against my word. Why do I say that? Because I myself went through a months-long scavenger hunt for paperwork, rendering many letters and custom-created forms describing whatever information I was asking for. That is to say, many of these institutions did not have official documentation on-hand for the things I was talking about because of how non-factor/non-issue they were. Fortunately, since they were all non-factor/non-issue, they all got waivers.

Fast forward to the present day. In the long run, I can't truly kick myself for the decision to list all of that stuff because my integrity remains squeaky clean. No Chinese or Russian intel officer can stumble upon some rumor or loose piece of paper and twist my arm with it. I can sleep well on that. But now the issue is this: I don't have any of the paperwork for anything I said "yes" to the first time. As I said, much of it was drafted specifically for MEPS and straight up did not exist prior to or separately from that. MEPS was long enough ago that I can't even remember everything I might've said "yes" to, and I most certainly cannot remember all of the sources I tapped for documentation. Trying to recreate that form and body of documentation today would be an enormous task.

TL; DR:
If I'm going through MEPS a second time, for a whole new application, does what I put on my 2807-2 the first time matter at all?
Will the new one and the old one be compared for accuracy?
If they are being compared, are they able to pull all of the supporting documents from the first file and use them in the new file?
If they aren't being compared, can they still pull supporting documents from the archives anyways at applicant or recruiter request?
Or is the new MEPS visit occurring in a bubble, with everything before my discharge from the Navy effectively ceasing to exist?

I'd love to believe I only have to report or supply documents for things that have happened since my last visit to MEPS, but nobody has explicitly told me that and it sounds far too simple. I'm only inching closer to the age limit for SNA/SNFO, and I'd like to do anything I can to speed this up.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Different members of OTCN were convinced I'd be right back in a later FY19 class. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to have hope in that idea. I've since made my peace with the realities of the situation, but I'd sure like to go back as soon as possible.

9 times out 10 OTC staff will always say "things are going to be okay" and that you "should" be able to come back to OCS. They're also not familiar with the recruiting process as their one and only job is to train and commission potential officers.

If I'm going through MEPS a second time, for a whole new application, does what I put on my 2807-2 the first time matter at all?
If they are being compared, are they able to pull all of the supporting documents from the first file and use them in the new file?
If they aren't being compared, can they still pull supporting documents from the archives anyways at applicant or recruiter request?
Or is the new MEPS visit occurring in a bubble, with everything before my discharge from the Navy effectively ceasing to exist?

TL;DR version is talk to your recruiter. They likely have your previous MEPS record on file (or saved) and can assist with getting you back to MEPS. You're asking very specific questions that depend on each MEPS and of course recruiter/recruiting office.

Your 2807-2 should match the old one as well as information pertaining to your DQ at OCS. Also, I want to say a hernia injury is a 6-month wait.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

According to him, my recruiter has never dealt with a case like mine before, so input from anybody with firsthand experience or recruiter/staff experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, it's labor day, so I can't really ask him right now. Also, I'm putting this on here so I can save him some research and speed up this process. First, some (probably too much) background information:

I was FINSEL'd and attended OCS class 04-19 last September, but was TNPQ'd for a hernia I got during Indoc. Super lame. If I had been SWO, Supply, or Intel, I might've been kept on, but as an aviation designator this was a ticket home. Different members of OTCN were convinced I'd be right back in a later FY19 class. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to have hope in that idea. I've since made my peace with the realities of the situation, but I'd sure like to go back as soon as possible.

I went to MEPS the first time in December 2016, with a pair of follow-ups in March 2017. I am the first person among my family and friends to pursue a military career, or have anything to do with the military at all. Combine this with the fact that the recruiter I had at that time was nearly impossible to get a hold of, and assembling my paperwork for MEPS was... confusing. In my naivety and lack of guidance, I did the stupid non-economical thing: I said "yes" not only to things that could probably be found in a background check, but I also said "yes" to past medical items that in hindsight could not have possibly been proven against my word. Why do I say that? Because I myself went through a months-long scavenger hunt for paperwork, rendering many letters and custom-created forms describing whatever information I was asking for. That is to say, many of these institutions did not have official documentation on-hand for the things I was talking about because of how non-factor/non-issue they were. Fortunately, since they were all non-factor/non-issue, they all got waivers.

Fast forward to the present day. In the long run, I can't truly kick myself for the decision to list all of that stuff because my integrity remains squeaky clean. No Chinese or Russian intel officer can stumble upon some rumor or loose piece of paper and twist my arm with it. I can sleep well on that. But now the issue is this: I don't have any of the paperwork for anything I said "yes" to the first time. As I said, much of it was drafted specifically for MEPS and straight up did not exist prior to or separately from that. MEPS was long enough ago that I can't even remember everything I might've said "yes" to, and I most certainly cannot remember all of the sources I tapped for documentation. Trying to recreate that form and body of documentation today would be an enormous task.

TL; DR:

I'd love to believe I only have to report or supply documents for things that have happened since my last visit to MEPS, but nobody has explicitly told me that and it sounds far too simple. I'm only inching closer to the age limit for SNA/SNFO, and I'd like to do anything I can to speed this up.

I have had 2 people personally that had hernias come up at OCS, both SNA designators, one was discovered around 4 weeks after arrival, he came home, the other was about 8/9 weeks and he stayed, had surgery there and then commissioned. The one that came up did surgery went through MEPS again just fine, then was back to OCS.

James Lee

I have had 2 people personally that had hernias come up at OCS, both SNA designators, one was discovered around 4 weeks after arrival, he came home, the other was about 8/9 weeks and he stayed, had surgery there and then commissioned. The one that came up did surgery went through MEPS again just fine, then was back to OCS.
Did the one who went home get his surgery covered by Tricare or did he have to pay for it out of pocket? Is he discharged from active duty or just put on some type of administrative hold? Did he have to reapply and fill out another commissioning packet?

exNavyOffRec

Did the one who went home get his surgery covered by Tricare or did he have to pay for it out of pocket? Is he discharged from active duty or just put on some type of administrative hold? Did he have to reapply and fill out another commissioning packet?

Paid out of his own pocket, filled out new application went to board and was picked up, the Director of OCS programs indicated to us he would be getting a pro Y before the board.