• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reduced class load after degree is completed?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Has anyone ever heard of a NROTC Mid or an OC getting a reduced credit-hour requirement if their degree is already completed? My situation is that I have met all degree requirements, but still have to take Physics II IAW commissioning requirements. Is it possible to take only the 5 hour Physics class next semester?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If your degree is complete, you should be graduating and commissioning. No program, especially STA-21 will let you stick around after you're complete. Ok, missed one part, I took less than 15 hours my last semester, but I doubt they're going to let you take less than 12 credit hours.

FMRAM

I would love for that to be the case but I still have to take Physics II.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a STA-21 student you need to be a FULL time student unless the STA-21 office says otherwise. Time to load up on those easy A courses. I took Running, GOLF and Color Photography my last semester.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Some schools might allow you to be classified as a "full time student" with less than 12 credits/semester if it will be your last semester and the classes are required for graduation. If you're completing the physics for a Naval Science minor, you could probably make a case for it.

Bevo16

pilot
It think that it would be pretty stupid for the Navy to pay for a bunch of classes that you don't have to take.

If they do make you take 15 hours, just take the Physics class and blow off the rest (or go just to meet chicks) and drop them all just before finals.

I was in a situation where I was finished with all of my core classes but had to take 2 electives in the summer and then go on a 1st class cruise. I took "Sport and Ethics" and "Human Sexuality" (the practicals were OUTSTANDING) for my 120th credit hours, and then got to spend 4 weeks on the USS Blue Ridge before coming back and getting commissioned. What a bad deal that was. A paid vacation to Japan, 3 days at sea 5 days in Russia (Vlad) and then 3 days in Okinawa getting tan before coming home.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Two words Dave.... Stress Management (aka: time off until it's time to take the tests).

Dcribbs

I’m a current Sta-21 student graduating in a week and I took 7 credit hours this semester. I simply put in a chit through my advisor and enjoyed my time off. I think it falls at the discretion of each unit. This was my last semester and I did take golf to count for 1 of those 7.

vulcanx

Banned
I’m a current Sta-21 student graduating in a week and I took 7 credit hours this semester. I simply put in a chit through my advisor and enjoyed my time off. I think it falls at the discretion of each unit. This was my last semester and I did take golf to count for 1 of those 7.
Yep, I am under the unit cap this quarter because of some special circumstances and all you have to do is document it through the chit after telling your reason to the OI and getting it cleared with the XO.

Going back to 18+ units next quarter. Yay.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I took under the limit this semester with chit from the XO. But next (my last :)) semester I'll have to take 19sh and 3 of my classes are all scheduled at the same time, that is going to be fun. Wow I hate the scheduling in my department.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's weird that your physics 2 requirement slipped out from under you... don't you have to submit degree plans every semester?

FMRAM

It's weird that your physics 2 requirement slipped out from under you... don't you have to submit degree plans every semester?

It didn't forget about it. We get 6 semesters to complete degree and commissioning requirements not including Summer.
I took: 1. Statistics 2. Pre-Calc 3. Calc I 4. Calc II 5. Physics I and my 6th and final semester I will take Physics II.

Whitingorbust

I don't know about OCs, but I am a regular scholarship midshipman coming up on my last semester and I asked the XO of my unit if there was anyway to take under 12 hours (making me not a full time student) so I could work a little. He basically said I could, but the Navy would not pay for any classes or give me a stipend. Needless to say, I decided to bulk up my schedule with swimming 101 and a couple other BS classes and make it a stress free semester.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That full time student stuff doesn't mean squat. It's all up to the Professor of Naval Science (Your Captain). I took two classes my last semester.

Whitingorbust

It may be different for Sta-21 guys, plus they have tightened down the past year on academics stuff. I had to put a request chit in to my CO to be able to take 12 hours since the new regs require 15 every semester.