• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fn

Greetings

I was told today that I was selected for NFO and while I am honored I am also disappointed because I had my heart set on a pilot billet. Even though my package was pretty strong(9 PFAR, 8 AQR, PPL with 130 hours, good GPA, good health(20/20)), my age got in the way(28.5). It would be easier to take if there was something else that counted against be, but I am otherwise very qualified! I hate to sound like a spoiled child, but has anyone heard if it is at all possible for a billet transfer or redesignation? I have heard that it sometimes happens at OCS, but not very often. I have also applied to the USAF and will take the slot if offered, but I am trying to make a last ditch effort to fly navy. If anyone can give me any advice it would be much appreciated! FLY NAVY!!!!

Jeff

FN

I hate to say but coming in as a civilian, the 27 age limit is unwaiverable. I had two friends back in OCS that qualified for pilot but one was 29 and the other 27. The 27 year old was 26 when he got accepted but you have to be 26 when you commission, and he hit 27 the month before OCS. They both tried for waivers all the way through OCS and API, but BUPERS and BUMED said there was nothing they could do.
However, by the end of the year they are going to reinstate a program at API that if you finish in the top 10% of your API class you can transfer to pilot as long as you are physically qualified for a the slot, regardless of your age. CNET stopped the program back in March which sucked for a lot of people really depending on it to get a slot, but the Navy is just that hurting on NFOs. The good news is the CO at NASC told us that they would be starting the program back up at some point this year. Remember, API is not all that difficult bit the top 10% is not an easy task. They have also just reinstated the old policy of retreds. After three years or so of being an NFO if you are physically qualified you may retred as a pilot. They had band NFOs from retreding into jets becausea few accidents in the mid 90's.

So there is hope, depending on how bad you want it. Good Luck.

fn

Thanks for the gouge Jeff! If this is the case then I am more than willing to give it a shot. I am slated to hit OCS at the end of August and that takes about 3 months so API will be in about November. Please post another message or e-mail me if you hear anything else. FLY NAVY(I hope)!!

[/quote]

Edited by - fn on 07/24/2001 14:12:11

Jeff29

Science Project
fn,

The "retred" program would not be an option to someone our age (I'm 29 this sunday). To apply, you have to complete at least 18 months in a fleet squadron, and be less than 31 years old.

Jeff,

Is the transfer program at the end of API a standard thing that was just stopped temporarily this year, or is it one of those on-again-off-again things?

Sluys

It sounded to me that the NFO to Pilot program was SOP for a good long time. When we got the captains call about it being suspended the CO made it sound like it had been going on for a while, not just a "trial period"

magnum

Hello and G'day-I am a new member on the forum and have been following for quite some time-i would like to thank you all for the information that has been given on this forum. I am 29 years old and currently am awaiting my selection for naval flight officer-unfortunately I too would like to have put in for pilot-however as the military gods dictate I am too old-which I have to say is bull@#%$. I strongly feel that maturity and life experience would greatly enhance an individual's character. They will accept me as an nfo-but not pilot-frustrating I have to agree but none the less reality. I want to throw this question in to again just verify information. I am 29 years old(barely) I am looking at an October-January OCS date-with all of this information about "retreads"-top 10% in api-NFO TO PILOT transition program-honestly will it be a long shot in hell or a fairly obtainable possibility-peace of mind is a good thing. However, i wouldn't mind being an NFO-being taken for a ride is rather like having chauffer.(lol) Anyone immediate response would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

To my knowledge the transfer at the end of API has been a standard for quite some time, and API just got a letter from CNET oneday that it was being stopped, basically due to a shortage of NFOs. But, after some discussions with various people they decided to have it reinstated. So when it comes back it should be back for good.
Just remember that when you go through you are up against guys from all branches of service undergoing Navy training bot SNA, SNFO and some Flight Surgeons. So it is not an easy task.

vt9Jack

Is the contractual obligation for SNFOs as long as it is for SNAs? It is currently seven and eight years for helo and jet guys respectively.

This may have something to do with the lack of flex on the age issue. You have to realize that after ten years (two in flight school-for strike at least- and then your obligated eight) you would be pushing 40 years old as an 0-3. BUMED may also look at this from the perspective that eyesight and other age related degridations in health will be a greater problem for someone starting flight school at 29 vice someone who is 21-22. Example, I will have just turned 30 years old when my first contract is up.

Sorry if this is all doom and gloom. Just offering other perspectives. You should be congratulated, however, on your NFO slot. Remember NFOs have their own chaufeurs (sp?)...

jec

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just a sidebar comment, has anyone considered the Coast Guard or talked to them about becoming a pilot. As you know, USCG is part of DOT not DOD and there requirements are different. You'll never fly fighters but you may fly Falcon jets or Hercs but it beats the hell out of being baggage. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

Then there's those nifty little Dolphin helo's they have, and they have H-60's too, if you wanted to, or didn't mind, going the helo route.

D

SHADHERRENKOHL

A small sidfebar on the age requirements for SNA. I turned 27 a week before I graduated from OCS. I was supposed to have finished 2 weeks prior but an injury rolled me back. I thought that being 27 would disqualify me so I sent in for a waiver a got one. However the director told me that an age waiver was not needed you just had to be 27 when you graduated. Also my roomate in OCS recieved a transition from SNFO to SNA during API and he was not in the to 10%. He was however prior Navy. This was in October of 2000

Jeff

I went through OCS early this year and two of my roommates tried for waivers, one was within the age limits and was denied, and the other was 27 but turned 27 two weeks prior to OCS and was denied. So I am not sure what the deal is with that. Its also the same time they stopped the SNFO to SNA in API so maybe they were all interlinked. I would suggest getting in touch with BUMED or BUPERS and talking with them about anything.

fn

Jeff-

Have you heard any new news on the API SNFO to SNA route? I have a day off Thursday and I was actually thinking of visiting Pensacola to try to find out what is going on(I live in Fl). Is the decision even made in Pensacola or is this a BUPERS issue? Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks! fn

fn

Jeff-

One more thing. Is the API SNFO to SNA transfer an official policy? In other words could I find a written directive of it(NAVADMINS, ALNAVS, CNET or CNATRA website, etc) or is it a flexible policy with no official documentation? Also, did you say that there was no age restriction if you get redesignated after API? Thanks again! fn

Status
Not open for further replies.