• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignated to IW community

flopper

AFAIK, it used to be that way, but when I was there, there was DEFINITELY one BDCP guy I know who was NPQ, couldn't find an NFO slot, and ended up SWO....it happens.

So I'd imagine if you didn't PQ for SNA or NFO, then your contract would be lessened to 4 years as opposed to the 8?

phrogpilot73

So I'd imagine if you didn't PQ for SNA or NFO, then your contract would be lessened to 4 years as opposed to the 8?
Your contract is for 8 years regardless. Here's how it works: you join, you owe them 8 years. Typically this comes as 4 years active, 4 years reserves. The 8 years tied to aviation is incurred after you complete flight school. If you DOR/attrite it is never applied...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
We did back when I was there. They would try to get you to do something else. But you could pack up and go home if NPQ.

My plan was stay if NPQ for Pilot, but PQ for NFO, and bail otherwise. Call me what you will, but I wanted to fly, and being a Nuke did not appeal to me.

That's exactly what I thought... I told myself that if i couldn't fly, I would leave... but as soon as it actually happened, I thought about it and IW seemed more interesting than the Corporate world I would've gone back to. and plus, I realized that wanna be a naval officer regardless, and I didn't wanna quit. Good thing I found out about my NPQ during my 6th week because had I found out during indoc week, I probably would've bailed.

flopper

Your contract is for 8 years regardless. Here's how it works: you join, you owe them 8 years. Typically this comes as 4 years active, 4 years reserves. The 8 years tied to aviation is incurred after you complete flight school. If you DOR/attrite it is never applied...

Thanks, I meant the 4 active btw pap

Tom

pilot
Contributor
AFAIK, it used to be that way, but when I was there, there was DEFINITELY one BDCP guy I know who was NPQ, couldn't find an NFO slot, and ended up SWO....it happens.
Read your contract. If you get medically disqualified while in BDCP, the decision is your's to stay in the Navy and get redesignated or go home. You can't be "made" to go SWO.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Read your contract. If you get medically disqualified while in BDCP, the decision is your's to stay in the Navy and get redesignated or go home. You can't be "made" to go SWO.

You may be right. I wasn't debating what was in my (or the other guy's contract). I was just saying what I saw.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
Hello all, few more questions.

So I am finally commissioned, got the hell out of Newport, and enjoying few days of break I have in NY before I fly home to Los Angeles for another few days.

So as some of you know, I got orders to Misawa, Japan for Flight Duty... But before I head out, I have several training to go through this summer.

After my 35 days of IW follow-on school in pensacola, my orders say that I will be going to Spokane Washington Fairchild AFB for 5 days of training, what type of training is that?
Then I go back to pensacola for 5 days of survival (is that water?)
Then of course I have 2 weeks of SERE at Brunswick, Maine (no questions there haha... unless you have good advice).

I'm sorry if any of this is OPSEC, please do PM me if necessary.

Few more questions.

Is having a car necessary while in Pensacola for IW school? and it seems like I generally have 5-7 days to go from P-cola to Spokane, another 5-7 days to report back to florida and then to Brunswick... is that considered travel time or is that coming out of my leave?

When I goto Japan, will I be able to ship my car out there?

I know it's a lot of questions, but what can I say, I'm just a stupid ENS and Airwarriors is definitely where I've gotten my answers since the day I considered Naval Aviation. So thank you in advance!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Don't bring your car to Japan. It's more hassle than it's worth. There are all kinds of laws and regulations for American cars and you'll just end up driving on the wrong side of your car anyway. If you have a big car (anything bigger than a Camry), you'll also have a hell of a time parking it out in town.

You can buy a used car there for minimal money (like hundreds of dollars.......mine was $75) and it'll work just fine.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I hear the sandbox has great weather this time of year.

:-P

But in all seriousness, I know a guy who is out at Hawaii for IW and he's loving it.