• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignate once in P'Cola?

Wake

I have a quick question in regards to re designating. I was NPQ'ed from SNA a few days before commissioning for exophoria. My physical showed a score of 7.0 with a limit of 6.0. I called my ophthalmologist to shed a little more light on the situation. He claimed that with the tight standard of 6.0, 7.0 is a marginal failure and that with a good night's sleep as well as some pencil push ups he see's no reason I should not be able to get within the 6.0 thresh hold. There was not time to get another physical to send to NAMI before commissioning.

My question is this: Would it be possible to get a remedial once in P'Cola and assuming I'm physically qualified, get switched back to SNA? I hate to walk away from my first choice when I missed it by the narrowest of margins, especially when I've heard other success stories in regards to exophoria. I had no prior knowledge that I exceeded the limits until I got my letter back from NAMI.I have no orders as of yet.

The CO from the Unit I commissioned presented the possible idea but was also unsure if it was an actual possibility and one of the staffers at the unit claimed he heard of re-designations once at P'Cola. I'm not sweating it, as there is a career as an NFO laid before me, but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I don't want to pass up a window of timing if it's still possible to get my first choice of SNA.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
It depends. NAMI will want to make sure you're not a borderline case - taking risk on eyesight issues can be bad business. If cleared by NAMI then it will depend on our current Pilot and NFO loading. Your STUCON officer at API will be able to give you a good steer.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I'd say try everything within your means to redesignate before you start API.

That being said, it's pretty much a crapshoot based on who's in charge and what the manning looks like.

I know a few dudes in my squadron who were in similar situations to you WRT incorrect NPQ diagnoses. They're still rocking the double anchors.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I have a quick question in regards to re designating. I was NPQ'ed from SNA a few days before commissioning for exophoria. My physical showed a score of 7.0 with a limit of 6.0. I called my ophthalmologist to shed a little more light on the situation. He claimed that with the tight standard of 6.0, 7.0 is a marginal failure and that with a good night's sleep as well as some pencil push ups he see's no reason I should not be able to get within the 6.0 thresh hold. There was not time to get another physical to send to NAMI before commissioning.

My question is this: Would it be possible to get a remedial once in P'Cola and assuming I'm physically qualified, get switched back to SNA? I hate to walk away from my first choice when I missed it by the narrowest of margins, especially when I've heard other success stories in regards to exophoria. I had no prior knowledge that I exceeded the limits until I got my letter back from NAMI.I have no orders as of yet.

The CO from the Unit I commissioned presented the possible idea but was also unsure if it was an actual possibility and one of the staffers at the unit claimed he heard of re-designations once at P'Cola. I'm not sweating it, as there is a career as an NFO laid before me, but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I don't want to pass up a window of timing if it's still possible to get my first choice of SNA.

It is possible and has happened in recent history. It certainly won't hurt to try. Just don't be a FO with a chip on his shoulder about not being a pilot if it doesn't work out.

Scruff

None
Contributor
I know two guys that were NPQd at OCS, took the NFO job and then redesignated towards the end of API. This was about 6 months ago when I graduated OCS and when they NEEDED pilots. About a month later two more guys put in the transition paperwork and were told they would be back with a SNA slot. They stayed in student pool after API and were put in waiting. One waited 4 months pushing paper and was eventually told that he was going to stay a SNFO and headed over to VT-10. He is currently waiting to class up with 10. The other graduated 10 last week.
Not trying to be a dick, but you're probably not going to get your slot back.
Being a SNFO is pretty solid. Don't be discouraged if things dont work out.
Good luck man

Wake

It depends. NAMI will want to make sure you're not a borderline case - taking risk on eyesight issues can be bad business. If cleared by NAMI then it will depend on our current Pilot and NFO loading. Your STUCON officer at API will be able to give you a good steer.​

Much appreciated advice, I at least know what direction to start looking once in P'Cola to pursue the option.

That being said, it's pretty much a crapshoot based on who's in charge and what the manning looks like.

Appears to be the key variable as always. I wanted to make sure I wasn't traveling down a dead end road in trying to get re-designated in between commissioning and the start of flight school. If it does not work out I'll breathe easy knowing I didn't was any options.

It certainly won't hurt to try. Just don't be a FO with a chip on his shoulder about not being a pilot if it doesn't work out.

While wearing brown shoes? No way. My chips are down for whatever aviation slot I recieve, just working out the minor details of which seat of the aircraft I want my butt to get sore in.

It appears the STUCON officer appears to be the one I want to get into contact with. I receieved the suggestion from my curren unit staff if PQ'ed once I get there, to contact my detailer and push to get re-designated. I'm also trying to resolve whether I should get an independent flight physical or get processed as normal and if PQ'ed then puresue. I know there's probably not a lot of hard answers on the process since it's not formal and more based on luck with some finger crossing. All input thus far has been much appreciated.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
I know two guys that were NPQd at OCS, took the NFO job and then redesignated towards the end of API. This was about 6 months ago when I graduated OCS and when they NEEDED pilots. About a month later two more guys put in the transition paperwork and were told they would be back with a SNA slot. They stayed in student pool after API and were put in waiting. One waited 4 months pushing paper and was eventually told that he was going to stay a SNFO and headed over to VT-10. He is currently waiting to class up with 10. The other graduated 10 last week.
Not trying to be a dick, but you're probably not going to get your slot back.
Being a SNFO is pretty solid. Don't be discouraged if things dont work out.
Good luck man
Different cases. The two who NPQ'd at OCS came in on 1390 contracts. When they were found PQ at Pensacola the right thing to do was to put them back as 1390. The other two cases were folks who came in as 1370s and tried to shift to 1390. Relative to fleet requirement, we bring in more pilots than NFOs since a good number of pilots will NPQ to FO. Therefore, the accessions tend to even out. Going the other way puts us off balance.