• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Red Bull "Air Force"

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From Wiki:

"Spades are flat metal plates, usually attached to the aileron lower surface, ahead of the aileron hinge, by a lever arm. They reduce the force needed by the pilot to deflect the aileron and are often seen on aerobatic aircraft. As the aileron is deflected upward, the spade produces a downward aerodynamic force, which tends to rotate the whole assembly so as to further deflect the aileron upward. The size of the spade (and its lever arm) determine how much force the pilot needs to apply to deflect the aileron. A spade works in the same manner as a horn but is more efficient due to the longer moment arm."
Thanks Zip!!
Yeah, I thought I had something to do with making it easier to fly aerobatics.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
From Wiki: "Spades are flat metal plates, usually attached to the aileron lower surface,...."
Certainly trumps my opinion that SOMETHING was needed to offset the drag coefficient of the video cam obviously attached to the left side of the horizontal empennage...

Or is it "GoPro or Go Home"?

yak52driver

Contributor
Spades make a large difference in the amount of stick pressure it takes to move the ailerons. I used to own a Pitts S2-B with them, there was no effort required to go full throw on the stick. I've also flow the SU-29 and Extra 300 with spades, even less pressure was necessary.