• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Red Bull "Air Force"

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I didn't really realize they called it their own air force, but either way, this is pretty bad ass. Wingsuits getting barrel rolled around . . .

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, my attempt to linkie no work, any mod able to help this out?

I didn't really realize they called it their own air force, but either way, this is pretty bad ass. Wingsuits getting barrel rolled around . . .

So that's why red bull costs twice as much as monster, rockstar, etc

Cool stuff though. I wonder what background the pilots have.

yak52driver

Contributor
^^^
Kirby Chambliss has been around the airshow world for a long time, he was an airline pilot, not sure if he still is. Red Bull has been his sponsor for a few years now, he was part of the Red Bull air races that were held at different venues around the world until they were cancelled a couple of years ago.

Renegade One

None
Red Bull's TEAM STRATOS is targeting Monday, 8 October for their record-breaking free-fall jump (from approx. 130K feet via helium balloon...) to try and attain supersonic speed in the free fall. Launch/recovery site is to be Roswell, NM, site of the early '60s "Project MAN HIGH" which set the current altitude and speed records for a free-fall.

jmcquate

Contributor
Red Bull's TEAM STRATOS is targeting Monday, 8 October for their record-breaking free-fall jump (from approx. 130K feet via helium balloon...) to try and attain supersonic speed in the free fall. Launch/recovery site is to be Roswell, NM, site of the early '60s "Project MAN HIGH" which set the current altitude and speed records for a free-fall.
Terminal velocity doesn't bust the number......am I dumb? how is this going to work?

MasterBates

Up at higher altitude, the IAS for a given IMN is much lower. In really, really thin air, you have so little drag, that you can haul serious ass just in freefall. This is far above "normal" altitudes.

It's also part of the reason for the "Coffin Corner" in the U-2s H-V diagram. Because Mcrit is so close to stall speed at high altitude.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Remember when cool stuff like this was funded by the United States Government, instead of off the proceeds of making douchebags spazzier?

Renegade One

None
Remember when cool stuff like this was funded by the United States Government, instead of off the proceeds of making douchebags spazzier?
I do indeed. But that was at a time when each "incremental step" contributed to something much larger, like the space program (suit technology, etc.).

Today, there will always be someone who can eat one more hot dog in 10 minutes than the current record holder...but who cares?

MasterBates

If we were doing meaningful human exploration of space (I mean Moon bases, Mars, etc) I'd go work for NASA or a Space Contractor in a heartbeat. I'm now too old to have a chance of flying on any groundbreaking flight, even if the President announced tomorrow "MARS BY 2030", but it would be great to push humanity in that direction.

Instead, the masses want more "Teen Mom", "Jersey Shore" and free crap for just being an inefficient Oxygen to CO2 converter

3595-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Instead, the masses want more "Teen Mom", "Jersey Shore" and free crap for just being an inefficient Oxygen to CO2 converter.

MB, I think you forgot Honey Boo Boo.

On another note, does anyone know the purpose of the thing hanging off the left aileron?
imagevdv.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
looks like it's some kind of an aileron trim damper/assist apparatus?

Here's another pic showing it from the front
PICT0914.jpg

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
On another note, does anyone know the purpose of the thing hanging off the left aileron?-ea6bflyr ;)

From Wiki:

"Spades are flat metal plates, usually attached to the aileron lower surface, ahead of the aileron hinge, by a lever arm. They reduce the force needed by the pilot to deflect the aileron and are often seen on aerobatic aircraft. As the aileron is deflected upward, the spade produces a downward aerodynamic force, which tends to rotate the whole assembly so as to further deflect the aileron upward. The size of the spade (and its lever arm) determine how much force the pilot needs to apply to deflect the aileron. A spade works in the same manner as a horn but is more efficient due to the longer moment arm."