• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiting Office Will Not Respond?

flynavy22

Primary in Corpus Crisco
I have been attempting to get in touch with a recruiter for a full week now. I have left multiple messages both during hours and after hours and still no response. There is only one officer recruiting station in Virginia and that's in Richmond. I live over an hour away, but should I simply drive up there and walk in? It seems the phone call method is about as useful as yelling out my window at the sky for help. I've read other bad experiences with Navy Recruiters, but I can't even get hold of a recruiter to begin with.

Advice?

altuc

http://www.navy.com/navy

Scroll down and on the right it should say "Live Chat". Check the business hours and if they are open, IM your question. You will be connected with a real person, ive done it before and my person was pretty good.

Good luck.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'm a little surprised that there isn't a small office in Blacksburg. At Penn State, there was an office in downtown State College staffed by two LTs and that office fell under the NRD Pittsburgh umbrella.

I would try the office in Christianburg. I know the navy.com site lists that as an enlisted recruiter, but I did a search for State College, PA and it said the officer recruiter was in Pittsburgh and the State College Office was an Enlisted recruiter...which clearly wasn't the case.

If the office in Christianburg is indeed solely an enlisted recruiter, then at least you know you've exhausted your options.

flynavy22

Primary in Corpus Crisco
altuc: I just did the online chat, the mod said keep trying or use 1-800-USA-NAVY. When I asked for hours all the mod said was "call during the daytime" so I'm gonna try that on Monday and hopefully get the ball rolling. Thanks for the nod towards the online chat!

Thisguy: I'm actually not at school right now (summer break) and the drive back is about 5 hours soo I'm really trying to get in touch with the Richmond office. You'd think there would be an officer recruiter nearby in Norfolk, being the largest naval station in the world and what not, but there's only an "enlisted" office here locally. I may have to try them on Monday though, if only so they can hook me up a with someone at the officer recruiter in Richmond.

It still seems odd that it's so difficult to contact a recruiter. I actually know pretty much everything the recruiter can tell me from my researching online...but you can't get a commission if Navy doesn't know you exist! Kudos to airwarriors for HUGELY aiding me in my self-recruiting efforts, you guys are all awesome

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
With Monday being Memorial Day don't be surprised if you have to try again on Tuesday.

Also, when I "got in" the O recruiters would travel away from their central offices to outlying recruiting stations to meet prospects like yourself, go to college job fairs, etc.

Good luck and keep trying.

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
I had the same troubles as you and I just kept calling a variety of numbers at the NRD at different times in the day until someone picked up.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
As Jim mentioned, officer recruiters are usually responsible for covering large areas. With graduation having just passed, it's entirely possible that the OR is very busy dealing with others like yourself, who are interested in becoming Naval officers. It is also important to remember that while they travel, they probably have a government issued cell phone. Getting ahold of that number is pure gold. It's how I've been able to contact my recruiter every day This week. If I don't get her right away, she usually calls back within an hour.

Just be persistent and polite, and eventually you'll get what you need.

flynavy22

Primary in Corpus Crisco
If persistance is what it takes then that's what I'll give them. They don't know it yet, but soon some lucky recruiter is gonna see that persistance is a highlight of my personality ahaha.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to post it when I finally do get in contact with somebody.

VmiMMXI

Hey flynavy,
I'm an SNFO contracted BDCP'er based right here in Richmond. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can talk to my manager this upcoming week and let her know there is someone seriously interested. Everything everyone above has said has been extremely applicable for this NRD, I've seen first hand how busy the processors and my own Senior Chief in charge of the BDCP'ers are. They aren't neglecting you (purposefully) they're just more busy than you can imagine.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Thisguy: I'm actually not at school right now (summer break) and the drive back is about 5 hours soo I'm really trying to get in touch with the Richmond office. You'd think there would be an officer recruiter nearby in Norfolk, being the largest naval station in the world and what not, but there's only an "enlisted" office here locally. I may have to try them on Monday though, if only so they can hook me up a with someone at the officer recruiter in Richmond.

It still seems odd that it's so difficult to contact a recruiter. I actually know pretty much everything the recruiter can tell me from my researching online...but you can't get a commission if Navy doesn't know you exist! Kudos to airwarriors for HUGELY aiding me in my self-recruiting efforts, you guys are all awesome

Richmond NRD is the overseeing office for all the recruiting offices in the Virginia Area mostly Tidewater and Piedmont reagions. There are OR in Norfolk and Williamsburg. I dealt personally with Richmond NRD and I owe then quite a bit. You have to be persistant and quit your B**ching while you are at it too. If you have no luck, I will give you some numbers.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
You also might realise that different recruiters have different styles. I actually switched recruiters (same NRD) because things just weren't working out with the first one. This isn't to suggest that my first OR wasn't doing his job or anything of the sort, but for whatever reason, it just wasn't happening. Once I changed recruiters, my new recruiter and I fell into an excellent relationship, and things took off. Your recruiter should be getting back to you very quickly, and if you get into some sort of habit where communication isn't happening, and you feel you need to move on, talk to the NRD CO or the ORD about switching recruiters. Don't play the blame game. Just clearly explain the issue and request a new OR. This isn't a problem. If you are a good candidate, everyone involved wants you to succeed, and if a new recruiter is going to do it, that's fine. Your previous OR won't be insulted, and if you make it through the process, I propose sending him or her a note of thanks for all the initial groundwork.