• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters, Headhunters, and Other Shifty-Eyed Folks

MasterBates

I'm just leaving the names off the public forum, because while I have no reason to believe they would take any retribution for a JO posting honest opinions on a professional forum.. I'm not going to temp the tiger with a steak either.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for posting your experiences, I have been learning quite a bit! Needless to say, my rose colored glasses about being an Officer > 10 have been adjusted. Although I don't plan on being in the job market for several more years, this info is a great update. It's been 14 years since I was last looking for a job...

Thanks MB & Gaijin for taking the time!

MasterBates

Oh yeah.. My CO and XO have no idea why I'm not employed, and tell me I'm a fool to take anything under $100k that does not keep my clearance active.

Neither of them, have had a civilian job past the normal HS/College "Joe Jobs". None. No professional experience. I have five years pre-Navy, but what do I know.

Seriously, they thought it would be a week, two tops to get a job. To the future COs out there.. If you have JOs who are close enough to getting out that they have a separation date.. The fucking war effort better depend on their actual being there before you drag them to Fallon, Boat, Etc if they want to stay home and job hunt, or worse, you make them skip interviews because the COC is that day, and you need all 34 of you O's standing in whites, even though they don't have a specific need to be there. Pretty sure that in this day and age, with COC's being planned to the gnats ass for 5 months, they know the XO is going to be the new CO, and the strange CDR who has been hangin around for the last couple weeks in squadron patches (one of which says PXO) is going to be the new XO.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm out until Thursday finalizing some move stuff, and there's some HR intensive stuff going on right now. you may want to just hit him up again, as he can be...distracted at times. (Forgotto tell someone that they were being promoted for like two weeks.)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It is an officiall ethics opinion on what you can and can't do post-government. It mostly applies to acquisition types, but some defense contractors want to see one if you go to career fairs while still on terminal leave. For a LT squadron type I can't see it mattering, but it wouldn't hurt. If you do run across a contractor wanting one you ought to be able to get it from base legal.

I really don't think you would need it, but since there are a few of us on this board retiring soon I thought I would mention it.

MasterBates

Ah.. LMCO wanted a letter of recusal from my CO.. Who is sitting on it. (has to come from squadron directly, I can't forward it, and LMCO has not received it yet)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
They will take an ethics opinion from legal, but I'm not sure that would be faster for you. My organization is used to doing them, but I'm still 3 weeks out from when I first asked for it.

afterhours

MasterBates: Any chance you can tell me which of the headhunting firms you are referring to below. I am a retiring O-4 (prior with a MBA and a BA in Math) and the last thing I want is to stand in line behind an E-5/E-6.
Afterhours

Update from Austin..

Flew out to Austin, TX for a hiring conference with one of the big headhunting firms. Was supposed to be engineering heavy. More on that later.

Got the "end of year, companies are hiring, lots of oil/gas companies, and other engineering/aerospace firms" had interviews scheduled with two companies I wanted to possibly go with. Buy plane tickets to San Antonio, rent car, drive to Austin, three days in hotel. Damn near a grand spent, before food/other shit.

Get to the conference. Overall impression, well run machine.
Opening meeting with the huntees (those of us looking for jobs) felt like I was at a bad motivational speaker for the first 20 minutes, but got better. Then as people started introducing themselves, I got the feeling it was heavy on the E side of the house. (it was).
About a 5 hour day, most of the info practical. Basically, it was the high points from TAP, plus some interview prep.
Then company briefs. This is where the WTF started for me. We got our "Assignments" and then 15 minute briefs on the companies.
Done for day, after some admin stuff.

Next day (today). Have five interviews.
Three 30 minute interviews back-to-back-to-back, break, then an interview and an hour brake, and then another.
In the "training" day, they told us to WIN each interview.. And then decide if you want the job later. I did just that, I can honestly say I wowed 4 of 5 from my impression, we'll see if headhunters feedback matches tomorrow.

Here is where I am a bit put off..
I was told I had 2 lined up interviews locked in with two companies I want to work for. Others would be "targets of opportunity" and at least 5 total. They did hit the numeric target.

In the week leading up to the conference, AFTER I bought tickets, paid for hotel, etc.. One job filled internally and the other "backed out" of the conference.

I get here. Not told who I would be interviewing with until after the training day. The companies here, are MUCH less than the list I was given.

Interviews ended up being:
1- Construction Company. For a Site Superintendent. Manager listed, but "not open now". They are interviewing E-5s for the same job for a reference point.
2- Food Products Company. Process "Engineer".. Title. By job, they really want a technician. Again.. Competing with E-5s.
3- Oilfield Services/Engineering Company. Went well. Need an actual engineer to be a project manager. Seemed to go well. Location is meh. We'll see here.
4- Alcoholic Beverage Company. Went well. Can see self working there, but they kept on trying to sell "Cheap by CA Standards Cost of Living"
5- Building Materials Company. Went well. Nice guys.. No interest in the actual job.. Guys ahead and behind me were E-6/7s.

Final impression: Really not sure it was worth my time to come here. Sure as hell not worth the money. The "Speed Dating" interviews might as well have been done on the phone. Actually, that would have been better. Does not speed up hiring process at all, just took place of phone interview.

As for the jobs.. I want to know where all the "Engineering" jobs are here. I think if the job title was "Sanitation Engineer" (garbageman) I would be put in for it, because it says Engineer. I don't think I'm really being put up for jobs at my level, if I am going up against a 25 year old E-5 with no degree, and not a real tech background for the same job (USAF AG equivalent in the 25 year olds case).

I'm honestly confused at this point.. They have had much better jobs on the phone interviews. I'm not sure why the hell they insisted I come to Austin.

As it stands right now.. I'll go to another conference if it's local or maybe DC.. Other than that, money better saved to live off of when I am unemployed in a couple weeks.

JackyB

Did he leave a forwarding address?.............having fun Bret...don't tell Flash he probably will over analyze and I don't want any koolaid dripping on my post....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did he leave a forwarding address?.............having fun Bret...don't tell Flash he probably will over analyze and I don't want any koolaid dripping on my post....
Yeah, but it's by invite only. ;)