• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters and accountability

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryptoMarine

I would like to pose this question. If a recruiter gives you bad information and this information causes a series of events to unfold that effectively ruins any chance you had to become a naval aviator, should he be held accountable?
Let’s suppose that you have an applicant who is very competitive except for his vision. What if a recruiter told the person to go have LASIK surgery in order to qualify to apply as a Naval aviator. What if the applicant specifically voiced his doubts as to the acceptability of LASIK as opposed to other forms of refractive eye surgery and the recruiter again told the applicant that LASIK was the only acceptable refractive surgery? What if after the surgery the applicant found out that LASIK automatically disqualifies him from any aviation position. What should happen now?
When I joined the Marine Corp, years ago, I already had 2 brothers that were Marines. I knew what to expect. I believe that because of that, my recruiter didn’t try to make me any promises that the Marines wouldn’t keep. I had a good experience joining the military the first time, but I have heard some pretty incredible horror stories about the promises that recruiters make. I have always wondered if there was any recourse for a person who was mislead or lied to. Surely there is some sort of accountability. This is the US military, accountability and integrity are supposed to be part of the foundation of military virtues.
One thing I did ensure is that I kept copies of all correspondence between myself and the recruiter. This isn’t going to degrade into a he said/she said fight. I understand that if I am taken seriously this could ruin someone’s career. That bothers me because my recruiter seemed like a genuinely good person. However I also understand that it is a bigger possibility that I will be ignored or told “tough luck kid”. After all, I am only a civilian now, and requesting mast isn’t an option. So, back to my question. What should happen now?

AZSkegee

Go to the NOMI website. (Please Do Not Be Offended By My Next Statement) Everyonce in a while I joke with the other guys about recruiter promises. The fact of the case is I researched and asked numerous questions before I signed my enlistment paper work. I have a degree and enlisted, alot of people would 'nt or could 'nt do it, but I did it. I made a decision tree based on the economy and incentives that the U.S. Navy would give me. In my personal situation, I've made out better than working some 9-5 job. (Job-Rewarding wise not Money Wise -who ever said the military gets paid too much) But Getting back to my earlier point, you should have researched and asked around before having your surgery. The recruiter is not legally liable for any action of your own undertaking. If you want to be an officer, successfull person or just a brave person you must stand on your own and make decisions. It does'nt matter if the decision is wrong or not but you made it and its yours.

bbennett73

Crypto,

That is unbelievable. I'm sure you're wanting to kill someone right about now. What was the recruiter's response when you confronted him? Unfortunately, I am not able to offer any suggestions, but your story is intriguing and raises some good questions.

Had you not gotten the surgery, you would have been NPQ'd for SNA anyway, due to your vision, wouldn't you?

CryptoMarine

Actually I did quit a bit of research before I ever went to the recruiter. In fact I was wanting to get LASEK instead of LASIK, but the recruiter was adamant that LASIK was the only accepted surgery. He claimed to have spoken to a Navy Doctor between some of my calls and confirmed his previous statement. When I asked him about the discrepancy between what I found on my own and what he was telling me, he said that the information I got of the internet must be old. You have to admit, thats a pretty twisted branch in a decision tree.
I havnt "confronted" him really, I just showed him what I had found and asked him what I could do now. My recruiters responce at first was to reassure me that LASIK is accepted, but I called when he was away and talked to someone else who actually found the guidlines where it specifically says LASIK isnt accepted. Since then I havn't heard a peep. I dont know if hes checking into it further or just avoiding my calls. I dont intend on storming in the office and cussing a blue streak. But I really wonder if he or the "Navy Doctor" he talked to is liable in some way. Not a legal liability as in "Im going to sue you" liability. But more in a military, "this is your job and you if you make a mistake then your in trouble" liability(which is better defined as accountability). And I think telling an applicant that the only way they can be a pilot is if they cut their eyeballs open is a pretty serious mistake for a recruiter.
I dont see it as a black and white "you made the decision, you deal with it" situation. All recruiters have a responcibility to represent the military in a professional and competent manner. Im not sure of their legal standing when it comes to information and offers given to applicants. At the very least it should be addressed as a professional issue, if not a legal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.