• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter told me not to mention drug use? - 2 Parter

abh99

Let me set the record straight here for my peace of mind, I never had any intention of lying about it, which is why I told my recruiter about it immediately during the first phone interview. I was really just introducing my situation where the recruiter told me to keep it to myself. And wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this kind of situation (esp. since I'm sure there are a lot of collegiate athletes on here that may have been tempted to get an edge before being an officer ever crossed their minds) and to gather opinions on what problems I may run into during the process (i.e., DQ'd from certain positions). Also, I've done some searches for steroids-related waivers and have found squadoosh.

Thanks for all the replies to date.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink, I have heard from more than one person about recruiters recommending that applicants lie. Wrong and showing a lack of integrity, sure. But I have heard it from a few, Marine Corps too.
Officer recruiter? I am not naive, but I don't believe it is prevalent at all. For one thing they don't have to have applicants lie to make their numbers. And in any case, there just isn't the pressure on officer recruiters like on the E side. I would bet that if you heard it from a guy that had used and didn't fess up, he was saying his recruiter told him to lie so that it deflected blame from him for his own dishonesty. "Not my fault, I did what I was told. I don't know how the Navy operates."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Intel is not that selective dudes. I'm a pilot and I'm the Intel O for my squadron, it's one of several jobs I have. I can't see how this could be a full time job for anybody; there's hardly anything to do. .
Squadron Intel Off is an entry level job for the Intel community. It stands to reason it wouldn't be too taxing. Asst Admin is an entry level job of aviators and it is a piece of cake too. And just because you don't make much of it doesn't mean the Intel community would not want to see more of an Intel designated Ensign. To say Intel is not selective based on your experience at the squadron level is misplaced. Much much more is expected of Intel Officers after the initial tour in the years beyond. They are selective not because Squadron Intel Off. is so tough, but because of what will be asked of them in the future. Hey, squadron PAO and Asst Admin aren't so hard. When you grow and if you are lucky you might find yourself the Maint. Off. Tell me if that level of responsibility is not light years from Asst Admin?

Gopher

Just to chime in abh99, I'm an Intel O who majored in Biology (3.7ish GPA, 53ish OAR in 2003 when I applied) so don't let that deter you. In fact I know tons of Intel O's with degrees that would seemingly have nothing to do with Intel. Your first tour will vary - squardon/big deck/shore duty. I went squadron and loved it. I definitely wouldn't say it was easy. Two work up cycles and a deployment in 24 months = lots of long hours in CVIC, and when bombs are dropping and you're responsible for getting out the MISREPs/WSV life is not cake. CAG, Admiral, lots of other higher ups had great interest in those products. Life on shore is usually better but you'll probably have a bunch of tedious shore jobs like command security manager, anti-terrorism officer, etc. Things like anti-terrorism officer usually don't take up too much time . . . that is until you find out some guy in your squadron wants to take leave in Afghanistan (wasn't allowed) or Pakistan (allowed but with tons of paperwork) to get married. Security manager can be a real pain in the ass. You'll also need to be proactive helping the JO pilots out with their myriad of quals. My squadron was very good to me but experiences vary by squadron. Work hard and don't be that guy that doesn't contribute to the wardroom/go out/socialize and you'll be in great shape. Concur with everyone else who says be completely honest at all stages of your application process. It's a no brainer (though unfortunately some people have a hard time figuring that one out).

JFoga97862

Squadron Intel Off is an entry level job for the Intel community. It stands to reason it wouldn't be too taxing. Asst Admin is an entry level job of aviators and it is a piece of cake too. And just because you don't make much of it doesn't mean the Intel community would not want to see more of an Intel designated Ensign. To say Intel is not selective based on your experience at the squadron level is misplaced. Much much more is expected of Intel Officers after the initial tour in the years beyond. They are selective not because Squadron Intel Off. is so tough, but because of what will be asked of them in the future. Hey, squadron PAO and Asst Admin aren't so hard. When you grow and if you are lucky you might find yourself the Maint. Off. Tell me if that level of responsibility is not light years from Asst Admin?

To elaborate on my point, as a member of a single seat squadron I have 5 ground jobs and the least involved is Intel. So, I find it interesting that we bring in officers to fill this role exclusively.

I don't knock the community, I have made many friends in the community and have much respect for what they do but I also know many SNA/SNFO types who did not make the cut from API went Intel. I know some BUD/S attrites that went intel. I ask, honestly, if this is the case then how can it be so selective that a biology degree isn't good enough? I'm naive and young, I'll admit it, I'm asking for an honest answer.

phrogpilot73

Mainly because as a Squadron Intel O it is a collateral duty, and you will never do much higher than Squadron Intel work. An Intel O is going to go higher than squadron, where the degree may be significant.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If NUKE FOLKS say more than two times they need a waiver and it may not happen.
I used weed a handful of times three years ago, but couldn't remember how many. I picked 3 out of a hat since the online form couldn't fit "I don't remember)", and I got the waiver.

I also made it clear to the investigator that I didn't remember the exact number when he interviewed me.

Just sayin'.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Quick deviate...in BDCP CCRs (Collegiate Contact Report) which we have to give to our recruiters a couple times a month, there's a line that says "Have you used or been exposed to illegal drugs in the past month?"

My question is, living near a college campus, it's hard not to 'be exposed' to pot on occasion. I mean, walking down the street, sometimes I'll get a whiff of it or at a football game. My roommate smokes sometimes (but usually I am gone from the apartment).
What extent is 'exposed' in their definition?

Gopher

Agree that the Intel O job can feel a lot like a collateral duty . . . when on the beach. Like I said, just help out your fellow JO's, capably do a few collateral duties no one else wants to do (like command security manager), and do your part to contribute to a strong JOPA/Wardroom and you're set. It's not rocket science by any means. As far as actual Intel work, its a whole different ball game when on the ship. There you'll be gainfully employed. Nothing really is overly challenging, just requires lots of time and attention to detail. Heck the majority of MISREPs I wrote really had nothing to do with Intel, but was more OPS related (which I enjoyed since it foced me to see how that side of the world operated). You also have to continue your collateral duties when on the ship, so that adds a bit to the pain. A lot of the workload will depend on what the Strike Group is doing and what your job is (SIAC, SUPPLOT, brief/debrief, etc.). Things can be really boring or really exiting. As a whole, the entire first sea tour really is heavily geared towards giving a young, inexperienced officer an understanding of how the fleet works and how all the pieces interact. You'll contribute some, but hopefully learn lots to help you down the road as you move into higher profile jobs.

I don't think the Intel community is too selective with regards to degree field - in that respect they are not that different from a lot of fields (As I understand it you can even go NUKE with an English or Music type degree so long as you have the calc/physics prereq's met). Like most everyone else they are looking for the proverbial "well rounded individual." With a biology degree and no prior flight experience I was also pro-rec'ed for NFO (my second choice). If you want to track into attache/embassy type duty as an Intel O there are opportunities for post-grad school to learn all about politics and international relations on the Navy's dime.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Quick deviate...in BDCP CCRs (Collegiate Contact Report) which we have to give to our recruiters a couple times a month, there's a line that says "Have you used or been exposed to illegal drugs in the past month?"

My question is, living near a college campus, it's hard not to 'be exposed' to pot on occasion. I mean, walking down the street, sometimes I'll get a whiff of it or at a football game. My roommate smokes sometimes (but usually I am gone from the apartment).

I had the same problem. I had family/friends who smoked and I was definitely "around" it a couple times, but I usually found a way to get away from it or distanced myself from it as much as possible.

Basically as long as you are not partaking or did not willingly put yourself into the situation with the MJ and you attempted to leave the situation, I wouldn't bother telling your recruiter. I didn't. Just try to leave the room or whatever, whenever someone busts it out.

The way I understood the question it was more asking if you had broken the rules and taken any illegal drugs or handled them in any way. If I had no interest in them, and I passed someone doing them, I don't consider that a yes to that particular question. This is like answering Yes to the question which asks if you've ever drunk alcohol to excess. I did and the doc laughed at me and changed my answer.....

Gopher

That is a tough one - you want to be honest and if you have been around your roommate while he was smoking pot just answer yes and it shouldn't be held against you. What will hurt is if you answer no and down the road the Investigator is interviewing said roommate and it's obvious he's a pothead (not sure to what extent your roommate uses). If the investigator has access to the CCR (I'm sure he would - they have access to everything) he might then justifiably question your no answer. Answer yes now and you really won't have much explaining to do in the future. Better to error on the side of honesty in those situations. It really will make life easier.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
There is a little box at the end of the CCR for explaining all of your "yes" answers. If you're really worried about it, mark it yes and explain there that your roommate was smoking it in your apartment. I bet your recruiter laughs, but it is full disclosure I suppose.