• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter says "pilot technically closed now"

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
Am I missing something?

I'm currently working on my package for the Pilot board scheduled for 23 January with the understanding that boards can always be cancled.

I should have asked more questions. Is this just the recruiters way of saying "the board may or may not happen"? Or, have I missed something and applications for the next pilot board are no longer being considered unless they have already been submitted?

I know "my recruiter said" is not gospel or always accurate but it has me freaking out wondering if there could be any reason, barring medical DQ, that I will not have the opportunity to be considered by the 23 Jan board.

I don't think my recruiter is trying to get rid of me, he also mentioned a program directly related to my degree which is also closed but in the same breath he said I was well qualified for it. I could be wrong but I think in todays environment, if they did not me to apply for Pilot, they would just about tell me as much.

Should not matter much to the topic at hand but my stats
24yo/male
Meteorology w/minor in Mathematics BS, GPA:3.5
Atmospheric Science MS, GPA:3.4
ASTB: Need to take ASAP
No PPL, just a handful of hours buzzing around in a Cessna 172

Sorry to be a pain.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I play absolutely no part in the pipeline or production, so take this with a grain of salt.

Word on the street is that we've overproduced pilots in the last couple of years. That, coupled with the horrific economy, has resulted in a surplus of fleet aviators. Are they actually closing pilot slots? If so, is this the true cause? I have no idea.

We've even been told that the fleet isn't hurting for CAT 1's right now, so we may just hang out in the RAG for a while.

canav08

I play absolutely no part in the pipeline or production, so take this with a grain of salt.

Word on the street is that we've overproduced pilots in the last couple of years. That, coupled with the horrific economy, has resulted in a surplus of fleet aviators. Are they actually closing pilot slots? If so, is this the true cause? I have no idea.

We've even been told that the fleet isn't hurting for CAT 1's right now, so we may just hang out in the RAG for a while.

Still confused.

If its an issue of board vs no board this January, understandable.

Would "closed" mean anything other than "no board" ie could it be that they are no longer accepting new applications (my case) for the 23 Jan Pilot board. Somebody please help me understand if possible.

CBR11

My OR just called me (~3 hours ago) telling me to get my shit in ASAP for the January 23rd board. I'm only applying for SNA, so I'm assuming it's still on. He has always been straight with me so I think he would've told me if there were any drastic updates. And this certainly would qualify as a drastic update.

On a side note, I have a mini heart attack every time I visit these forums

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression was that post wing FRS production was kind of a different bag of nuts than new accession/flight school production in terms of requirements/numbers/etc. I have heard the same thing as well though, wrt us cat 1's. Last I heard, the Navy doesn't really need many until next calendar year. I wouldn't necessarily equate this to flight school demands, as you and I are from far different YG's (most of us being senior O-2 or junior O-3) than the guys who are signing up right now. In another 4 years, the VT production numbers could be vastly different than what is needed right now coming out of VT-7/9/21/22 or others

CBR11

My OR just called again about 30 seconds ago. Absolutely NO mention of SNA being closed. Just told me to start my SF-86, business as usual.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
He might have meant that there isn't a way to get your package together and ready for the cutoff, if there is indeed one. You haven't even taken the ASTB yet.

OCS accessions are an on/off faucet BUPERS can use to supplement the ROTC/Academy folks that are committed to years prior. The Navy just isn't hurting for Pilots now, so the boards have been few and far between. I don't think your recruiter is blowing smoke up your ass. I think he's letting you know the situation at hand. He's the source, so go back to him and ask to clarify.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Weird, because 2 months ago everyone was saying the Navy was hard up for pilots. Pilot was one of the few boards still taking place for FY12/13, and the NSS requirement was completely gone for API. Has it already changed since then that the Navy now has too many pilots?

canav08

He might have meant that there isn't a way to get your package together and ready for the cutoff, if there is indeed one. You haven't even taken the ASTB yet.

OCS accessions are an on/off faucet BUPERS can use to supplement the ROTC/Academy folks that are committed to years prior. The Navy just isn't hurting for Pilots now, so the boards have been few and far between. I don't think your recruiter is blowing smoke up your ass. I think he's letting you know the situation at hand. He's the source, so go back to him and ask to clarify.

Don't see why the bold would be true unless I'm totally missing something. Ive been through the process for other Navy communities and other branches.

ASTB can be scheduled and taken within a few days, results available the same day. The employer recommendations are complete, additional character references are complete, motivational statement complete, I have submitted 2 officer interviews, etc. Cutoff date is 23 Dec if there is indeed going to be this much talked about 23 Jan board. Is there some secret deadline for boards that I'm not being told about? Are these secret or arbitrary cutoffs the norm? Did I really start this process too late? Am I that far behind? I don't think so.

I know well what you are saying in the second paragraph and yes, I really need to ask him to clarify so at least I know what it is they are attempting to tell me. I'm not interested in the big picture on accessions Ive heard it a million times, the reasonable, educated assumption is that there is a board 23 Jan and apps are due for it on 23 Dec. If I can't submit to the board for some documented reason, I'm trying to find out what that could be. If there is no possible reason, I feel like I'm being lied to by my recruiter. Sorry to be snappy with people here, I need to go back to the source. I should probably have waited to post this until after I calm down and have asked some more rational questions of my recruiter.

canav08

Who is "everyone"?

Definitely not me, haha. I know its an uphill battle but I can't for the life of me think of why I was told "closed" when there are about 50 days between now and the due date. 2 weeks ago I was told "there may or may not be a board" and now my recruiter seems to be implying that there is a board but its "closed". Based on others peoples experiences, the board is not closed.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I'm gonna start a new squadron. I'll be like Pappy Boyington and you guys can be my flock. Just a bunch of Cat 1's with guns. We'll drink beer, fly a lot, womanize and be merry.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Only OCONUS. I'm a small beacon of hope in this PC Navy. That's why I'll never make command.