• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter just informed me Pilot is very competitive this time around.

Ellie

I am applying to be a pilot for the July boards. My recruiter called esterday and said they've gotten so many applications already and scores have been outstanding. I was going to apply for just pilot, but he has advised me that NFO is wide open and very likely. I'm a bit conflicted and don't know if I should just apply pilot or nfp as second choice. My scores were average and gpa is 3.0 but leadership is outstanding. Does this factor in or am I doomed?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am applying to be a pilot for the July boards. My recruiter called esterday and said they've gotten so many applications already and scores have been outstanding. I was going to apply for just pilot, but he has advised me that NFO is wide open and very likely. I'm a bit conflicted and don't know if I should just apply pilot or nfp as second choice. My scores were average and gpa is 3.0 but leadership is outstanding. Does this factor in or am I doomed?

There's a forum here that breaks down what is competitive.

As for NFO, if you have ZERO desire to potentially becoming an NFO DO NOT put it as your second choice. If you only want to be a pilot, put down pilot as first and only choice.

exNavyOffRec

ha ha, I am guessing your recruiter does stand up on the weekends.

very competitive is when only 10% of applications for a designator are accepted, wide open is when it is around 50% accepted, last round it was about 60% picked up? so you have decent odds.

were your ASTB scores bad?

like RUFIO said, if you have no desire to be an NFO then don't put it down, if you do and that is all you get then you will not be happy. If you want to be a SNA then only put that down.

Ellie

You have a longshot for NFO, otherwise your scores are too low for Pilot.

I would have loved to have heard that from my recruiter so I didn't waste time. I haven't been rejected yet. Just getting nervous as it gets closer. He almost guaranteed NFO. He said it's wide open. Lol

HuggyU2

None
My recruiter called esterday and said...
Yes... I'm sure he was 100% accurate and not trying to influence you with what he said.

You do know the joke about how to tell when a Recruiter is lying to you, don't you?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Don't let your recruiter tell you that you should or have to put down multiple choices. When I told my recruiter that all I wanted was pilot, he told me that boards don't look favorably on that, like your not a team player, that you should want to be a Naval Officer above all. I told him I'd take my chances. It worked out just fine for me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Their job is to get you in the Navy, and at times this can be to your detriment and their benefit, depending on their character. You job is to get the best possible outcome based on your desires. Don't apply or let someone pencil you in for something you don't want. You don't owe the Navy anything, and in fact they are seeking good candidates so if you are one, it behooves them to snap you up. Don't forget that.

exNavyOffRec

Their job is to get you in the Navy, and at times this can be to your detriment and their benefit, depending on their character. You job is to get the best possible outcome based on your desires. Don't apply or let someone pencil you in for something you don't want. You don't owe the Navy anything, and in fact they are seeking good candidates so if you are one, it behooves them to snap you up. Don't forget that.

I, and the good OR's don't do that, it is (was) our job to get them in the USN in a designator they desire, or if they are not qualified for that designator to explain it to them in an honest way so they can make the decision to either do something else in life or to choose a different designator.

That is what I did and I did quite well.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
I think the Navy recruits used car salesmen to become recruiters.

They are just trying to make the "sale".