• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Records Falsified on USS HAMPTON

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Stupid. For those who aren't familiar however, the record keeping portion of this could seem like a much bigger deal than it actually was. There is no excuse however for their cover-up of the screw up.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Several years ago I found gainful employment as an ASO. One of the other board members caught a (retired Master Chief) civ worker actively doctoring maintenance records on certain lot model Hornets. Said civ worker was gone within the hour (the RADM who was my boss took a particular interest in his mishaps).
....too bad they couldn't suck away his retirement pay as well.

I just don't understand why people act that way.

Sub King

I'm so glad I'm out of that world now. I don't think the Nuclear world is run the way it was originally intended to run. Not that I was in during Rickover's tenure, but it always felt to me that the strict guidelines which were originally spelled out are no longer there. It's as if it has become an accepted practice to falsify records (gaffing, radioing), and as long as the work gets done and NR doesn't find out then its ok. Maybe that was just my experience, but I had many friends on other boats who would share similar stories.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
An news agency...which shall remain nameless reported a line similar to this about the Hampton today...(mods...note scrupulous adherence to copyright policy...:Dtwo words changed and no quotes used to protect the innocent...)

...problems with procedures and record keeping in the Navy squadron follows an incident in August when a B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear missiles....

:confused::sleep_125

It also followed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan...so-frickin-what!??!?!?!

I weep for the future...$%^&...the present of the US media.:icon_rage

haubby

None
Contributor
The Navy Times article mentions that the ELT's had not conducted any chemistry in over a month. This is very hard to believe. On my boat the lead ELT stood no watch. His job was to conduct chemistry every day underway among other things. I dont know the requirements when everything is shutdown but the system failed miserably in this case.

Sub King

Not all boats use the Lead ELT to perform the daily ELT shyte....on my boat the junior ELT was the underway ELT and the Lead ELT did weekly binder reviews. I'm not sure if they were underway or not, but my guess is they were probably in CWLU and were doing weekly samples, and everyone merely radio'd the prior's results thinking it was good. And if they were underway, I don't see how one could in sound mind gaff off a months worth of samples especially when they were adding chems once every three to fours days.

haubby

None
Contributor
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure samples were conducted, I just can't fathom the ELT's, CRA, ENG or anybody in the CoC going "Man, I just dont' feel like doing samples for a whole month". But as they say, if it wasn't documented, it never happened.