• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recommend a good car shipping company, continental U.S.

pelexecute

pilot
None
PCSing in the next few months and would like to ship one car from Texas to California. Can anyone recommend a good company that they have used in the past? I'm looking for reliability and price. Thanks in advance.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was a good thread on this recently, but I used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) to move my wife's car from MS --> San Diego when we PCS'd. Good experience, was about $1000 door to depot. If you are looking for enclosed shipping, I also have another good recomendation (that I used previously), though this service costs a premium....probably twice as much or more.

P3 F0

None
I'd heard decent things about DAS, too, and we're in the middle of trying to use them in moving our Jeep from Virginia to Seattle. So far it's been sitting in the pick-up location for two weeks with no word from DAS (we've pried information from them, but they have yet to call us with any sort of update). So far, I'm not a fan.

I also used National Transport to ship my Toyota to Seattle, and I can't say much good about them except they got the vehicle here a bit sooner than expected, without a scratch. The whole experience of shipping both of our cars across the country has been strangely difficult and expensive.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd heard decent things about DAS, too, and we're in the middle of trying to use them in moving our Jeep from Virginia to Seattle. So far it's been sitting in the pick-up location for two weeks with no word from DAS (we've pried information from them, but they have yet to call us with any sort of update). So far, I'm not a fan.

Yeah, I too have heard some bad stories about them too. My personal experience was better than expected, but it could have been lucky timing too. I called on a Fri, scheduled a pickup the following Monday (was right on time), and they actually delivered about a week earlier than expected out here in SD. I think the key on my end might have been that I had them pick it up at my house, rather than taking it to a depot. Cost a few hundred more if I recall correctly, but it saved time which we needed since I was going to be commuting about an hour to SERE each day and my wife needed her car in the meantime.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Car shipping? Hook it up to the back of a U-Haul. Or drive it yourself. Between my mom being a retired senior chief and my few PCS moves, the only time we ever shipped a car was to and from Puerto Rico. Every other time, we either drove from point A to point B or hitched the car to the back of a rental truck. I've driven on both of my PCS moves... Annapolis to P-Cola and P-Cola to NUW.

Out of curiosity, why do you specifically want to ship it from TX to CA vice drive?

jackwilliam120

Choosing the right company is the main part. I suggest to surf the internet and ask your friends that they have some experience in it. Ask for the quote and don't go with cheap rated company which is no guarantee for the safe of your. Better to go with middle rated auto transport company since the vehicle can be luxurious or high cost. Check the insurance of the company. Decide the shipping date before. Take notes on any damages in your vehicle. Remove unwanted and personal items in your vehicle.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Choosing the right company is the main part. I suggest to surf the internet and ask your friends that they have some experience in it. Ask for the quote and don't go with cheap rated company which is no guarantee for the safe of your. Better to go with middle rated auto transport company since the vehicle can be luxurious or high cost. Check the insurance of the company. Decide the shipping date before. Take notes on any damages in your vehicle. Remove unwanted and personal items in your vehicle.

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Hotelscom_ObviousChoice_CaptainObvousFullBody.png

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Beware of websites and cold-calls which proclaim to find you cheap door-to-door shipping; they're full of promises and don't deliver. It's basically a bunch of brokers that flood the shipping market with requests which get picked up as they are convenient for the shipper, so yours may get serviced, or more likely not. Even if it does, you have no clue how well your car will be treated. I learned this the hard way last year moving from Pax to China Lake. The broker promised a pickup time from the house on a particular day and then never actually got us a shipper, so I was stuck trying to arrange DAS on the day we were physically leaving town. Luckily DAS came through, and they have a military rate IIRC.

If you can't tow your vehicle behind a U-haul for whatever reason, just suck it up and go with something like DAS, since they at least have a minimum standard of service they try to meet. I've used them a couple of times. The car generally got there OK, once with a dead battery, but they jumped it for me at the "depot" which was just a local towing company. The schedule can be a bit of a pain in the ass though, you're completely beholden to when/where the trucks are going.

Last edited: