• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recently reviewing some long forgotten memorabilia ...

robav8r

None
Contributor
I stood boat officer with Airwing-7 during the John C. Stennis maiden cruise in 1998 as an ENS. The liberty ports in Tazmania & Australia, and associated "last liberty boat back to the ship" were "hazardous" to say the least. Lucky I made it out alive on more than a few occasions !!!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
...when I came across this ...occurred forty nine years ago today!!

Remember Boat Officer Duty? LOL!

Where do we get such men? Good on ya Banty!!

I always hated Boat Officer Duty because I always got the midnight to 4 am shift on the U boats when all the drunks were coming back after a night on the town in Naples. That 15-20 minute ride from fleet landing to the ship in the wintertime was never smooth outside of the breakwater and was guaranteed to produce numerous pukers who were sandwiched in the middle and could never manage to get to the rail before losing it.:eek:

GroundPounder

Do you ever hear from the person that you saved? Sounds like he dodged a bullet that day, and lived to fight another day due to your actions. Congratulations.

KBayDog

Banty,
Nicely done... I believe you should have been awarded the Navy & Marine Corps Medal vice a Letter of Commendation.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I disagree.

This aggregious ARI was clearly a leadership failure that occurred under Banty's watch. He failed to supervise SN Snuffy, and this started long before the completely preventable liberty incident (which, BTW, has brought shame and disgrace on both the US Navy and the United States, and has set back relations with our international partners). Did SN Snuffy do his Liberty and Human Trafficking computer-based training courses on NKO? Did he print out his certificates and give them to his LPO? Did he route a liberty request, complete with a minute-by-minute itinerary of his plans, to his DivO? Did he receive the required liberty briefings from his LPO, Chief, DivO, etc.? Did he sign the roster certifying that he saw the Captain's liberty brief? Who were his three other liberty buddy? Did all of them sign "liberty pledges"? Did all of his liberty buddies complete all of their training?

Banty, get into your khakis and wait outside the XO's hatch.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Banty,
Nicely done... I believe you should have been awarded the Navy & Marine Corps Medal vice a Letter of Commendation.
ea6bflyr, I totally agree. When I read the CINCLANT LOC, first thing came to mind, looks like a lifesaving N&MCM to me. Well done Banty!:D

The N&MCM award criteria reads "Distinguishing oneself by heroism not involving actual combat with an enemy. For acts of lifesaving, or attempted lifesaving, it is required that the action be performed at the risk of one's own life."
images.jpg
Just my opinion that the LOC writeup would seem to indicate the rescue efforts of rondebmar more than met the above requirements.:)

* The N&MCM rates just below the DFC, and just above the Bronze Star.
BzB

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
ea6bflyr, I totally agree. When I read the CINCLANT LOC, first thing came to mind, looks like a lifesaving N&MCM to me. Well done Banty!:D

The N&MCM award criteria reads "Distinguishing oneself by heroism not involving actual combat with an enemy. For acts of lifesaving, or attempted lifesaving, it is required that the action be performed at the risk of one's own life."
View attachment 11500
Just my opinion that the LOC writeup would seem to indicate the rescue efforts of rondebmar more than met the above requirements.:)

* The N&MCM rates just below the DFC, and just above the Bronze Star.
BzB

We wrote up an AO3 for one of those a few years back. He no shit ran into a burning orphanage while on liberty and pulled two kids out. The nom never made it past the front office, although I think he eventually got a NAM.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
We wrote up an AO3 for one of those a few years back. He no shit ran into a burning orphanage while on liberty and pulled two kids out. The nom never made it past the front office, although I think he eventually got a NAM.

WOW.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Do you ever hear from the person that you saved? Sounds like he dodged a bullet that day, and lived to fight another day due to your actions. Congratulations.

Nope ...this incident occurred about our last day in the Med ...we were "outchopping" to CONUS ...last port call o'seas. Flew hard to Oct 14 (two hops, one night), into Gib on the 15th ...then FLYOFF to NIP (Navy Jax) on the 31st. I imagine the victim was hospitalized for a bit, then returned to Mayport (Saratoga home port).

Was totally surprised at "Quarters" one AM quite some time later!