• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recent Pilot Training Rates (PTR)?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know the approximate number of annual naval pilot designations for recent years?

I have an interesting old document that lists the annual number of designated aviators (Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, and a few foreign and federal pilots) over the years, from Lt. Ellyson in 1911 to 1995 – but nothing beyond that in later years.

Interestingly, the training rate varied from a few hundred pilots annually in the 1930's, increasing to an incredible peak of 21,067 pilots trained in just one year - 1944!

The training rates during the Cold War years of the 50's and 60's ranged between 1,400 – 2,500 pilots annually, with a high of 2,559 in 1969, near the height of the Vietnam air war.

During the '80's, the pilot training rate was fairly stable at approximately 1,400 pilots annually. But in the early 90's, there was a huge drop off, with less than 900 in 1993 and again in1994.

I'm curious what the pilot training rates might be now, and in more recent years since 1995. Does anyone have any rough numbers? And any projections?

[And no, for those of you wondering: I didn't know or serve with Lt. Ellyson in 1911, thank you.]

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Catmando said:
[And no, for those of you wondering: I didn't know or serve with Lt. Ellyson in 1911, thank you.]

Oh well... that answers my next question...

Out of curiosity, did the report speculate as to why the number of pilots trained during the mid-90's drop significantly? Was it one of those periods when the Navy was "downsizing"?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Out of curiosity, did the report speculate as to why the number of pilots trained during the mid-90's drop significantly? Was it one of those periods when the Navy was "downsizing"?

I'm guessing end of the Cold War, Soviet Union collapses, Gulf War is over, and Clinton comes into power. Just a guess.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TheBubba said:
...... did the report speculate as to why the number of pilots trained during the mid-90's drop significantly? .....
Think about it: you're talking --- post Gulf 1, post-Tailhook '91, and Bill/Hillary's Navy, i.e., the ultimate "kinder, gentler" Navy.

Q.E.D. :icon_wink

JC52083

We need T-6 Avatars
"More than 1,800 pilots and Naval Flight Officers (NFO) earn their "Wings of Gold" from the Naval Air Training Command annually."

comes from CNATRA home page

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
...Out of curiosity, did the report speculate as to why the number of pilots trained during the mid-90's drop significantly? Was it one of those periods when the Navy was "downsizing"?

No, there were no reasons given. But I would certainly agree with the reasons offered by both Fly Navy and A4s.

I was curious to see if we had ever recovered from that large drop-off in annually trained aviators. Apparently – and thankfully - as JC points out with CNATRA's home page, we have, with 1,800 pilots and NFO's annually. Thanks.

PS: I'm still amazed at the WWII Navy pilot training rates:
1940 708
1941 3,112
1942 10,869
1943 20,869
1944 21,067

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Catmando-
Looking at those huge WWII numbers, it would also be interesting to know what the mortality rate was during that 5 year period? Sure those numbers would be staggering as well.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
In our winging debrief our CO gave us a number of how many the HTs are going to wing this year but I can't remember. I want to say it was around 400-500, but I can't say for sure.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FA-18 Mousse said:
Catmando-
Looking at those huge WWII numbers, it would also be interesting to know what the mortality rate was during that 5 year period? Sure those numbers would be staggering as well.

I agree. And I have searched for the casualty rates of those many naval aviators of that period, without much success. (If anyone has some of those numbers, I would appreciate it.)

Much has always (rightly) been made of the Army Air Corps bombers' staggering losses, and difficulty living to attain their 25 missions over Nazi Europe during WW-II. While those losses were huge and tragic, I haven't seen similar coverage about our Navy and Marine aviator casualties in the Pacific WWII theater.

Years ago (and maybe still?) the Miramar O-club had a long line of plaques honoring certain of our fellow aviators of long ago. One night, one plaque caught my eye. It was of Ensign George Gay, of Torpedo Squadron Eight off the USS Hornet in the Battle of Midway. He was shot down, and rescued. But he was the only member of his entire squadron to survive that mission!

Ever since, I have often wondered how difficult it must be to engage in such a battle, to barely survive, be rescued, and then learn your entire squadron - everyone, including your best friends - was wiped out.

Certainly, while the 1940's PTR was incredibly high in those years, the casualty rate must have sadly been, also.

I think to know what that rate was, in some small way, also honors those whom it may sadly include.

ip568

None
Needs of the Navy. My AOCS class (20-68) had 70 of us. The class was so big they broke it into two classes, with half having to stay in INDOC BATT for two weeks. Bummer. There was one class a week every week back then.

Attachments

• aocs_barracks.jpg
    aocs_barracks.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 49