• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

recent denial/acceptance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nater

Hello,

Just wanted to ask and see if anyone has recently heard back on the Crypto board for final selection or non-selection. I have not heard anything from any of my other sources and am beginning to wonder if this process has an end. I have a pro-rec and am now just waiting on word of final selection/non-selection.

Random_Guy

Mr. Nelson
I recently put up my findocs and am awaiting a reply as well. My recruiter tells me that they'll be meeting soon, so hopefully we'll hear something soon!

BlondeScholar

hey guys... yeah, i just put in my app. in january. i heard that they have a lot of applications right now, and it's taking an acceptionally long time to hear back. also, do you guys know what professionally reccomended means anyway? is there a difference between that and being actually selected or what?

twidget

Deskaholic
BlondeScholar said:
hey guys... yeah, i just put in my app. in january. i heard that they have a lot of applications right now, and it's taking an acceptionally long time to hear back. also, do you guys know what professionally reccomended means anyway? is there a difference between that and being actually selected or what?

I was selected a long time ago, September, and it took about 3 months to get a pro rec, then only about 2 more weeks for the final selection. I'm active-duty though, so I'm sure it usually takes much longer for civilian apps. We have to submit everything right up front.

There's a big difference between pro rec and final selection, although a pro rec is the biggest hurdle. For civilian applicants, if you get pro rec'd by the community you are applying for, you must still complete your Security Questionnaire(epsq), PRT, Physical, etc. I'm not positive on all these, because some recruiters require civilian applicants to do more up front than others to avoid obstacles later. Anyway, whatever there is left to be submitted is called your Final Documents and gets sent to the Recruiting Command after your pro rec.

Once everything is received and screened to make sure you meet the standards for the community that pro rec'd you, your complete package is considered by the OCS board. They look at everything from the "whole person" concept, as opposed to the community managers which MAY focus more on your technical aptitude for that specific job. If everything looks good, you'll get your Final Selection notice soon after.

Good Luck!

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So twidget, that being said, does that mean you still have 50/50 chance of being a non-select after getting pro rec'd? I am a ball of stress and have been since the beginning, especially since I really don't understand what goes on between pro rec and final selection.

twidget

Deskaholic
E6286 said:
So twidget, that being said, does that mean you still have 50/50 chance of being a non-select after getting pro rec'd? I am a ball of stress and have been since the beginning, especially since I really don't understand what goes on between pro rec and final selection.

No, I believe the odds are much greater for being selected after getting a pro rec. I've read some claims that say it's just a matter of getting your final documents approved and the final selection is then automatic, but I know that's not true. I've seen a handful of posts from people who were pro rec'd that didn't have any problems and still were not final selected. After I received my pro rec, I had the same questions about my chances. The guy I talked to at CNRC told me to relax a little, that I was over the biggest hurdle and my chances were pretty good.

Hope this helps!

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
E6286: (or anyone else)
As far as being stressed over an application you should take up a stoic or buddhist approach to it... Since everything is submitted, and it's out of your hands, you're just playing the waiting game (as am I).

Here's a quote from the Dalai Lama that I think gets to the point of the uselessness of worrying...

Shantideva: "If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying."

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
I was just turned down for Intel and Crypto. Hard thing to take. To those that get accepted first time around, congrats, because its hard on this side of the fence. I am going to reapply in about 4 months, hopefully things will be better.

Brookelynn

Selected Intel
Hey 04Hopeful

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

I was turned down as well my first time around. Put in my first app. last March and it took until late August to hear that I hadn't even been professionally recommended for either Crypto or Intel. Talk about horrible news. Well, I retook the ASTB, got a new recruiter and resubmitted a new package in mid Oct (Intel, Supply, Diving) and rec'd final selection in Feb. Get back on the horse Hopeful!!!!! Been on both sides now...and it makes you appreciate it that much more after you've hit the wall a couple of times :)

04Hopeful

I really appreciate that Brookelynn, and I am definitely applying again! My issue is that I am running out of time, I am 33 and a half, only 18 months before I have to have OCS completed! There really isn't anything I can change I think (any insight would be appreciated), my ASTB was 69 with lots of experience. What all did you have to do on your reapp?

JKD

I'm in a similar position. I'm enlisted in the reserves, so at least I will have my news evals to add. Recruiting wants more, but I think I'm going to send it back up with the new evals and add crypto to my choices (I only submitted for NFO and Intel last time).

I'm just about past the age limit for NFO, but I figure I'll make them look at it again.

I'm on the short list for mobilization, so I wanted to get one more submission in before I have to put the application on the back burner for a year (I didn't think it would look that good to have a year between submissions. I already have 10 years between my NROTC and my OCS applications...)

Brookelynn

Selected Intel
04Hopeful,

The only suggestions I can make are unfortunately the obvious ones. I retook the test to score 15 points higher than the original. Rewrote my motivational statement and focussed it on achievements and examples (instead of just listing your accomplishments, go into detail as how hard work/leadership/etc were involved). I took the PRT and did well (295). Finally, if at all possible try to add to your rec. letters. I kept the same ones as what I had for the first app., however I asked an Intel Officer to write one as well after we had met up for an indepth q&a session.

Sorry the insight is pretty generic...but know that those little things do have an effect. Also, I think it speaks volumes about those who reapply after getting turned down the first time. They have to weed the die hards out of those doing it as a "might as well" mentality.

Good Luck!!!!!!

04Hopeful

Brookelynn,

Thank you for the info, it is appreciated. How long did you wait to reapply? If I have any specific Qs do you mind if I write you in private?

Brookelynn

Selected Intel
Not at all Hopeful! Actually, I reapplied as soon as I could. I sat down w/ a new recruiter, pinpointed anything weak that needed work, and got to it. I rec'd a non-select on Aug 28 or so, and resubmitted on Oct. 17. So all in all, it took about a month and a half to get my new package together...but I also had everything finished at that time (FINDOCS and all) and after sending it out all I had to do was wait. PM any time you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.