• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

dlynes

Living quarters at sea

These questions had to have been discussed but I have not had any success in finding details/information on living quarters at sea from searching the site.

For those with experience Living at Sea, can you please give me an insiders scoop on living at sea (sleeping quarters, bathrooms/showers etc...) for officers?

Sleeping quarters
Bathrooms

Also, are you permitted to bring personal laptops aboard? If so, is there internet access that you can use personally?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
A lot depends on the type of ship you end up on. I have experience with a CG. As a JO you'll likely end up in one of the JO jungles. They're typically six man rooms, you'll have a rack and a small desk area. I'm not sure what other spaces are afforded for storage, but there are a multitude of spaces that you can store various items such as a bike or a set of golf clubs. There is no bathroom, however, a single head is located in officer's country. With mixed company there is a sliding sign stating whether a woman or man is currently in the head. This is also where the showers are located. Yes, you can bring your own laptop, but don't expect to be able to plug it into the ships lan.

navy09

None
Since you posted in the SWO forum, I'm assuming you are asking as a SWO Ensign. I'm guessing life as on O3 on the carrier is better than for a JO on a smaller ship but I don't know. I'm sure one of them will chime in.

Living quarters will depend somewhat on what type of ship you're on. Since they're putting so many JOs on ships now, if you go to a smaller ship (CG/DDG/FFG/MCM) you'll be in a "JO Jungle" which is a fancy term for enlisted berthing that officers live in. You'll be in there for a while until a stateroom opens up. Can't speak about the bigger amphibs but I wouldn't be surprised if you went right into a stateroom on those since there is more room. The berthing will have a common bathroom.

Once in a stateroom, you'll share it with 2-5 other guys and each person will have a small desk. Generally the stateroom will have a little more room for you stuff than the berthing, though that's not always the case. On my ship, there is one common bathroom for every 5 staterooms or so.

You can bring personal laptops but there's no way to hook them up to the LAN, so they can just be used for gaming, watching movies, or any other offline activity you can imagine. There are computers available though there aren't many (you won't have "your own"). You can surf the web on them though many ships will block sites like Facebook and YouTube, though "I've heard" there are ways to get around such blocks. And I use the term "surf" loosely as the connectivity is excruciatingly slow. Those old school 28k dial up modems would seem lightning fast compared to web browsing at sea.

Bottom line, accommodations at sea are spartan.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Dang Midn, how many officers are they cramming on those now?

Note: I don't quite agree with merging the thread. Having one thread relating to the living quarters would likely reduce the amount of questions wrt living spaces. It would show up in a search that doesn't include 92 pages of posts to attempt to sift through.

dlynes

Since you posted in the SWO forum, I'm assuming you are asking as a SWO Ensign. I'm guessing life as on O3 on the carrier is better than for a JO on a smaller ship but I don't know. I'm sure one of them will chime in.

Living quarters will depend somewhat on what type of ship you're on. Since they're putting so many JOs on ships now, if you go to a smaller ship (CG/DDG/FFG/MCM) you'll be in a "JO Jungle" which is a fancy term for enlisted berthing that officers live in. You'll be in there for a while until a stateroom opens up. Can't speak about the bigger amphibs but I wouldn't be surprised if you went right into a stateroom on those since there is more room. The berthing will have a common bathroom.

Once in a stateroom, you'll share it with 2-5 other guys and each person will have a small desk. Generally the stateroom will have a little more room for you stuff than the berthing, though that's not always the case. On my ship, there is one common bathroom for every 5 staterooms or so.

You can bring personal laptops but there's no way to hook them up to the LAN, so they can just be used for gaming, watching movies, or any other offline activity you can imagine. There are computers available though there aren't many (you won't have "your own"). You can surf the web on them though many ships will block sites like Facebook and YouTube, though "I've heard" there are ways to get around such blocks. And I use the term "surf" loosely as the connectivity is excruciatingly slow. Those old school 28k dial up modems would seem lightning fast compared to web browsing at sea.

Bottom line, accommodations at sea are spartan.

A lot depends on the type of ship you end up on. I have experience with a CG. As a JO you'll likely end up in one of the JO jungles. They're typically six man rooms, you'll have a rack and a small desk area. I'm not sure what other spaces are afforded for storage, but there are a multitude of spaces that you can store various items such as a bike or a set of golf clubs. There is no bathroom, however, a single head is located in officer's country. With mixed company there is a sliding sign stating whether a woman or man is currently in the head. This is also where the showers are located. Yes, you can bring your own laptop, but don't expect to be able to plug it into the ships lan.

thanks!

The main reason why I ask about laptops and/or computers for personal use is having the ability to upload/transfer photos onto a computer to save them. I love photography and would like to document my experience as much as possible and much as I am allowed to.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thanks!

The main reason why I ask about laptops and/or computers for personal use is having the ability to upload/transfer photos onto a computer to save them. I love photography and would like to document my experience as much as possible and much as I am allowed to.

Navy is alot more liberal with cameras than the Air Force. Check in with your friendly MC or PAO to get rules of the road before you go on a camera safari though. There are some things that are off limits.

BigRed389

None
thanks!

That's greatly encouraged, particularly on deployment.

Main issue is no USB drive uploads are allowed on the ship's LAN, we had a workaround set up by the IT's where pics could be uploaded through them.

I've never heard of CG O's having to go into overflow berthing, same on our Flight I DDG. We got real close, where we were overbilleted with 5 extra 1st tour Divo's, but we managed to send 2 JO's home for miscellaneous reasons.

Divo's getting stateroom computers depend on the ship...mine has a workstation in EVERY stateroom, my buddy on DD 95 did not, as their commissioning CO apparently did not believe Ensigns should have computers.

Edit: What HJ said, plus as a SWO Ensign you might end up BEING the PAO/cruisebook coordinator (think Navy deployment yearbook...what I did for 6 months at sea).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edit: What HJ said, plus as a SWO Ensign you might end up BEING the PAO/cruisebook coordinator (think Navy deployment yearbook...what I did for 6 months at sea).

Pretty much a foregone conclusion if you show any talent with a camera. :icon_smil

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prob about 30 O's on my DDG. The community is growing so there are more to come...

And here they come....

web_100211-N-3066M-305.jpg

navybrat88

What are some of the qualifications other than CICWO and Engineering Officer on Watch, than you can use to further your career as a SWO?