• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
On Kashin-class, sailors from Aviation Dept who refueled Ka-27 right on helipad (no hangar on those ships), were living just below aft gunhouse and above main gearboxes. They freely spoke to each other near the helicopter with running engines. Being surprised by that fact, I've once went down to that bunkroom and was amazed even more - sitting on bunks, those youngsters were just gesturing. The gearboxes' noice at 25 knots was absolutely deafening, as if you have to sleep just on Marshall stage amplifier during the Motorhead or Slayer gig (Metallica is more melodic, in my opinion). But the guys had somehow used to it and slept with pleasure. Youth...

Reminds me of the rats nests of wipers rags and old coveralls I would find tucked behind machinery in the auxiliary machinery spaces on the FFG. Every now and then, I'd catch the snipes sound asleep in the pile with blissful looks on their faces. I really did hate to wake them up. . .

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Well, what USN thinks about the ship's cats? Are there any regulation for those animals? Nothing in particular in Russian Navy except the rule that when the cat is adopted as the "youngest crewmember", this fact has to be written in the bridge watch log, with given name mentioned. After all, the routine cat's name in Russia is Vasily or just Vas'ka (Vasily is the Slavic pronuncation of the common name Basil), when the large cruiser is in commission for decades, and ship's cats are inheriting each other, there would be Vasily I, Vasily II, III, IV, Vasily The Great One, then VI and so on. Just like emperors;-)
Oh, BTW, it would seem to be another rule: cat has to wear the cooper wire as a collar - it seems that with help of this the animals are going better in the harsh electromagnetic environment of the ship.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well, what USN thinks about the ship's cats? Are there any regulation for those animals? Nothing in particular in Russian Navy except the rule that when the cat is adopted as the "youngest crewmember", this fact has to be written in the bridge watch log, with given name mentioned. After all, the routine cat's name in Russia is Vasily or just Vas'ka (Vasily is the Slavic pronuncation of the common name Basil), when the large cruiser is in commission for decades, and ship's cats are inheriting each other, there would be Vasily I, Vasily II, III, IV, Vasily The Great One, then VI and so on. Just like emperors;-)
Oh, BTW, it would seem to be another rule: cat has to wear the cooper wire as a collar - it seems that with help of this the animals are going better in the harsh electromagnetic environment of the ship.

Current official regulations prevent the carrying of animals or livestock aboard ships except as cargo during contingency operations. That being said, there have been crews who break the rules. In my most recent memory, a cruiser had a homeport shift from Hawaii to San Diego and the Chiefs' Mess brought their goat with them. Unfortunately, the California Department of Agriculture found out and did some investigation of how a goat was brought into CA without the necessary paperwork (CA has very strict agricultural laws preventing introduction of invasive and non-native species) and ended up fining the chiefs and seizing the goat. When Big Navy found out about the ordeal, everyone got fired. It even made the news.

Max the Mad Russian

CA has very strict agricultural laws preventing introduction of invasive and non-native species

Presumably due to the vineyards sensitivity to the subjects. Interestingly, the Italian vineries look at the problem oppositely - any new creature that may change the soil would be invited. There's very poor soil in Northern Italy after centuries of vine manufacturing...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Presumably due to the vineyards sensitivity to the subjects. Interestingly, the Italian vineries look at the problem oppositely - any new creature that may change the soil would be invited. There's very poor soil in Northern Italy after centuries of vine manufacturing...

There's quite a few animal and plant-based bugs, diseases and other fun stuff we don't have in the US that exist in other parts of the world that we try to keep out, ask any experienced Customs officer, and since California produces a very large percentage of the food for the US I am not surprised they are really strict.

Max the Mad Russian

It makes sense, no doubts. What is terrifying is nowadays Chinese pracrtise to reject wooden packages delivered by aircargo services with no "proper" fumigation. Chinese. People who carefully distributed this damn covid all around the world.

exNavyOffRec

Current official regulations prevent the carrying of animals or livestock aboard ships except as cargo during contingency operations. That being said, there have been crews who break the rules. In my most recent memory, a cruiser had a homeport shift from Hawaii to San Diego and the Chiefs' Mess brought their goat with them. Unfortunately, the California Department of Agriculture found out and did some investigation of how a goat was brought into CA without the necessary paperwork (CA has very strict agricultural laws preventing introduction of invasive and non-native species) and ended up fining the chiefs and seizing the goat. When Big Navy found out about the ordeal, everyone got fired. It even made the news.
many many many years ago my Uncle was a CWO2 on the Coral Sea, he had a small fish tank on board, he had to have had that thing secured quite well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
many many many years ago my Uncle was a CWO2 on the Coral Sea, he had a small fish tank on board, he had to have had that thing secured quite well.
Plenty of stories of hidden fish tanks and what not but sadly the days of ships cats/dogs/goats/bears are gone.

Of course the reason ships had goats and cats were because they served a purpose back then as sources of fresh milk, potential emergency food, and mousers.