• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real OCS Fitness

torpedo0126

I'm prolly gonna look like an idiot for asking this...but could someone please explain to me what a mountain climber entails?

they are only the worst form of IT exercise (in my opinion). if you getting thrashed, the DI will often make sure that your knees break the plane of your hands. i think they are the worst because you don't really reach muscle failure like a push-up, but they physically exhaust you very quickly.

i don't know why i went into so much depth, but something about mountain climbers and the CS gas chamber is burned into my memory :D

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Does anyone ever check the dates on these posts?

Edit: personal info is best kept personal

MasterBates

Fenian, while he did post in an old thread, how the hell is posting a blog about "hey this is how I got into OCS, maybe it can help you" equate to leaking of national secrets.

The OCS application, selection, and actual OCC/PLC process is not classified.

Does my weight loss blog make me a security risk? Or does it possibly help other people who are struggling with their weight stay in the service?

Back off the MOTARD-ness. NOW.

phrogpilot73

If I was your OSO or on the selection board, I would find you (or whomever it was that posted that website) and disqualify you for many reasons, one being that if you are going to post a website about the selection process on your own server, what the hell are you going to do when entrusted with our nations secrets or personal issues or subordinates?
I think there's a reason OSO's are Capt's/SNCO's. I don't know, call it a level of experience that a know-it-all-pre-TBS-prior-enlisted-reservist doesn't quite have yet.

My suggestion is that you take the site down and call the wasted $10 a lesson. A 266 PFT and a recent contract is too easy to track down.
My suggestion mirrors MasterBates'. You have ZERO experience. Yet you try to talk like you've BTDT. Read more, post less, and let the grown-ups handle it.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
As far as "real OCS" fitness is concerned, I work out with my pool of candidates a few times a week, mostly circuit stuff. When we are done with all that we usually go out for a two mile "cool down" run.

manlypat

yawn
OCS Fitness Preparation

I'm interested in any thoughts you *in the know* would have as to conflicting advice: I've heard some OCS grads say Crossfit isn't realistic or useful as a workout prior to OCS, since you don't train so much with weights at OCS.

Others, however, say Crossfit is a great workout tool and helped them get stronger in preparation for OCS.

Crossfit does a lot of compound "old-school" type lifting, such as the bench, deadlift, etc. So in this way I know the gym type activities won't be included, but don't know how much that matters. That's also not the sum total of Crossfit activities.

Any thoughts or pointers?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I'm interested in any thoughts you *in the know* would have as to conflicting advice: I've heard some OCS grads say Crossfit isn't realistic or useful as a workout prior to OCS, since you don't train so much with weights at OCS.

Others, however, say Crossfit is a great workout tool and helped them get stronger in preparation for OCS.

Crossfit does a lot of compound "old-school" type lifting, such as the bench, deadlift, etc. So in this way I know the gym type activities won't be included, but don't know how much that matters. That's also not the sum total of Crossfit activities.

Any thoughts or pointers?

My .02...Crossfit worked great for me. I arrived to seniors in great shape and pt was pretty easy. When I was there (summer 08) even the physical training instructors were actively endorsing crossfit and were changing the pt to be more "functional fitness" in design.

Take it for what its worth though. People have different body types and different workout programs work better for some then others. Do what works for you

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
To anyone reading this that's off to OCS...yeah work out and stay in shape, but in all reality, it's all about effort, brains and common sense.

If you put forth max effort you will be astounded at what results you will get - especially at OCS.

When you get tasked to do something, use your gray matter to insert some common sense into the scenario and go with it NOW (i.e. don't lolly-gag).

Fenian, go get the 'yut' tattoo removed and drink another Guinness.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
To anyone reading this that's off to OCS...yeah work out and stay in shape, but in all reality, it's all about effort, brains and common sense.

If you put forth max effort you will be astounded at what results you will get - especially at OCS.

When you get tasked to do something, use your gray matter to insert some common sense into the scenario and go with it NOW (i.e. don't lolly-gag).

I agree 100%. We had a guy in our Jr.s PLT that Blakeness can recall was a fitness instructor and talked about knowledge of fitness. Knowing a lot about fitness will get you in shape and ready for PT, but that's about it. Since the PT program is already there for you to follow, save the space in your brain for leadership, tactics, and history. Showing up healthy and fit affects your first 2 weeks there. By that taime, most have caught up to you.

Fenian, go get the 'yut' tattoo removed and drink another Guinness.
Since I read it in the mirror, it actually reads, "TUY" so I think I'm okay. As for the Guiness, I'll have to buy one in 7 days...

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Just tried crossfit for the first time today. If crossfit doesn't get you in great shape for OCS, nothing will. I went in cocky with an outstanding high PRT score and now I can hardly walk. The girls that were doing the crossfit training for a few months were kicking my ass. There was one guy there that was T-boned by a truck at 50 mph a week ago and is already back like nothing happend. Hardcore.

manlypat

yawn
Post-OCS Feedback

An old thread, I know, but I also know many people still are reading it, so I thought it worth sharing. I just finished OCS, and thought I'd share the current workouts and mainstay exercises for all those interested.

We ran maybe twice a week--the running is considerable lessened from in the past. You rarely run day after day after day. So, if you're running a strong PFT 3 mile and can do a 5 mile (the longest runs) in under 40, you'll be able to keep up at OCS. I didn't find the running the hardest part, honestly.

One workout was Push/Pull/Press/Abs; often after a run, we'd do it. Three sets pushups/pull ups alternating, then three sets ammo can military pressing with crunches alternating. Early in the training we started doing maybe 25/20/15 pushups with 10/8/6 pullups and worked up to 40/35/30 pushups, and 16/14/12 pullups. Ammo cans and crunches I think were timed.

The Fartleks and run course are similar workouts. Run about 3-5 miles, and every quarter to half mile (shorter for the run course, longer for the fartleks) do a max effort pushup, sittup, burpees, star jumps (jumping jacks where you crouch down then jump), pullups, planks, barbell military press, diamond pullups, dips, crunches, bend & thrusts, and so forth.

Humps are a good workout! Just bring your moleskin. We did a 4 mile, a 6 mile, a 9 mile, and a 12 mile which was the only one on a road. I'd recommend squats and lunges and similar weightlifting to prep the lower body.

Functional Fitness: Boots and Utes. Lots of plank! By the end we were doing 4:00 of front plank interspersed with right/left side, and only had 30 seconds total rest during that time. As only one part of a circuit workout, that is tough, so show up with a strong core. Also we did fireman carry, buddy drag, running carrying ammo cans, and incline pushups. These were great workouts and really tested cardio and core more than anything else.

There were some random other fun things but I'll leave OCS with a few "easter eggs;" the above workouts give anyone a good enough idea of what to prepare for. Semper Fi!

You can do it.

-The Corps' newest Second Lt

Some OCS workout ideas